Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 12th February 2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Stef68

Default Futura 122 or 133 for light wind conditions?

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Futura in order to optimize the light wind days on my homespot. May seem a bizarre choice (why with all the iSonics and other Formula light wind machines), but I don't have that much windsurfing experience : I am now getting comfortable riding in the footstraps, learning to jibe and looking for a fast, yet easy to control, accessible freeride board which puts me quickly on a plane (this is my main concern). So, the Futura appears to be the best choice to me.

Still, I am at a loss as to whether to choose the 122 or the 133. It should partner well with a V8 8.5.

My weight is 67 kg.

Which one should I choose? I'd like to get planing in say, 9-10 knots.

Greetz
Stefan.
Stef68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 07:43 AM   #2
MuXx

I am facing the same problem, i am about 90kgs and i am leaning towards getting the 122L. I am also looking at the go board in the 122L, it is the same shape as the futura, but a little less cost. I think it is a slightly heavier board, and i am not sure if there is any other differences or if that extra weight makes much difference. I would be interested to know if you have made a decision on this.
MuXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Waiting4wind

I think for a 67kg sailor the 122 would be right, but for 90kg I would go bigger. My partner uses a FU 122. I don't find that it planes any earlier than my IS 111. The volume is there but the tail isn't that big and the rails are softish.
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 03:28 AM   #4
Screamer

I'm with w4w

122 for Stef.

133 for Muxx, even with the same 8.5 sail.
I haven't compared directly go122 vs f122, but I've tried earlier go~150 vs big Carve~145 (maybe that's not a relevant comparison, if that Go is really the same shape as Futura). What's your skill level, you don't have to be a pro to feel the difference. Go will be slower to plane, slower to accelerate, less willing to carve.

Good luck
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Stef68

I have finally opted for the 133 model, because I was expecting more leverage (planing power) from this model in light wind conditions. It's a perfect match for my new 2008 V8 8.5. In chop, however, it quickly becomes a bumpy ride, perhaps the 122 would indeed have been the better choice.

Anyway, I am astonished and awed by the control the Futura offers, even for a sailor with rather limited windsurfing experience like me (4th season starting now). The Futura allows you to go fast in optimal conditions.

I have bolted the footstraps in the inside inserts, but I am disappointed by the lack of comfort this position offers once on a plane, it really is too much centered - your back foot, especially, has the tendency to outstretch on the flattish deck if you want to flatten the board or accelerate by leaning more into the harness. I constantly want to retract my feet from the straps, in order to position them more against the rail in order to push more against the fin for leverage. A symptom (in my view) for badly positioned inserts... The outside position, on the other hand, is, well... rather extreme and racey, and really only suited for advanced slalommers. In this respect, the Futura lacks good freeride strap inserts. Which really is a pity, because it offers so much confidence to go fast that it is the best trainer you can imagine if you want to gain experience and are aiming at membership of the "slalom university of windsurfing".

Last edited by Stef68; 27th April 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 27th April 2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Screamer

Is it 2008? I think starboard moved outboard holes a bit closer to centreline for 2009.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 12:16 PM   #7
Stef68

yes, it is 2008. Pity that it wasn't correctly engineered from the start on, though. Good testing should have tackled this problem right away...
Old 28th April 2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Waiting4wind

Hi Stef68, try the straps outboard but forward position. I found that this stance is easier and a little more balanced on the FU133. When I got my Isonic it took a few sails to get my stance comfortable.
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 10:37 PM   #9
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef68 View Post
I have finally opted for the 133 model, because I was expecting more leverage (planing power) from this model in light wind conditions. It's a perfect match for my new 2008 V8 8.5. In chop, however, it quickly becomes a bumpy ride, perhaps the 122 would indeed have been the better choice.

Anyway, I am astonished and awed by the control the Futura offers, even for a sailor with rather limited windsurfing experience like me (4th season starting now). The Futura allows you to go fast in optimal conditions.

Hi Stef,
I am about your weight (70Kg) and I think our weights have a fundamental problem with light-air and big boards. To get going we still need volume and a big sail, but we are more easily overpowered if by any chance the wind comes up. I have an Isonic 111 and I still own an old Mike Lab Course (probably 130L, long 76cm wide with a 57 tail). The Mike Lab is way faster to get on plane in marginal conditions, but it gets very hard to deal with (for me) if conditions gets even moderately rough: it works very well, mind you, but you simply cannot do a mistake. The Is-111 is much easier in those conditions, but ... it stalls much more in marginal winds. I think the problem is fundamental: at 70Kg 130L and a 7.5-8.5 sail are a lot, and require a lot of technique outside of the comfort zone, say steady 7-12 knots. Live in a place (like I do) where the wind can go 8 to 20 in 10' and you are in for some fun time!

This is just to say that you probably made the correct choice getting the Futura 133: maybe the Futura 122 (somewhat close to the Is-111) would be marginally more controllable but you would probably loose the light-wind capability.

Last edited by davide; 29th April 2009 at 03:10 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote