Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th April 2009, 05:35 PM   #11
marek

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
I had the same issue 1 year ago. Didn't really get planing with my f-type and NP V8 10,6 in the light and non-constant summer winds, maybe also due to too poor pumping skills. Tried a formula and loved it. I have now a used formula kit with 10 and 12 sqm sails and really likes the latter one. It is big but get me planing in really marginal winds. Here is clip with bad quality, but as you can see there isn't much wind: http://vimeo.com/4169165
/Finn

Hi Finn. I also have F-type (148), my weight is 85kg and I use it mostly with 10.0 Gaastra GTX or 7.5 GTX if I am too lazy to workout on a smaller board. I have to say I don't like/know how to do pumping efficiently and my current point of view is that usually people on smaller boards get on plane the same time I do or earlier, which is pretty depressing given I have a board that is designed to get on plane early.
I also see people on freestyle boards pointing higher or the same as me, which makes me wonder .

Can you give me more details on what was the difference for you when you switched to Formula?

I don't plan to get a bigger sail. I tried formula once, got on plane and into the straps with no problem, but it felt like a cow comparing to FT, which is a cow anyway.

Thanks,

-marek
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 12:38 AM   #12
sergio k

Marek, FW or F-type because of their width allow sailing with preaty bad technique,
you can do lots of things wrong and still plane from time to time, if people on freestyle
boards can out point you, you're using ~10% of what the board is capable of (unless you're
using a weed fin, than maybe 20% ),
if you can, find some people in your area that are better with FW, and start training with them..... Buying high performace equipment doesn't not make you automaticaly better, actually it's harder to dial into, if you do not enjoy pushing yourself,
maybe free ride boards will give you more 'bang for you buck' and easier sailing.
And last thing, if you sail FW corretly trimmed powered up, 'cow' is NOT what will come to your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
Hi Finn. I also have F-type (148), my weight is 85kg and I use it mostly with 10.0 Gaastra GTX or 7.5 GTX if I am too lazy to workout on a smaller board. I have to say I don't like/know how to do pumping efficiently and my current point of view is that usually people on smaller boards get on plane the same time I do or earlier, which is pretty depressing given I have a board that is designed to get on plane early.
I also see people on freestyle boards pointing higher or the same as me, which makes me wonder .

Can you give me more details on what was the difference for you when you switched to Formula?

I don't plan to get a bigger sail. I tried formula once, got on plane and into the straps with no problem, but it felt like a cow comparing to FT, which is a cow anyway.

Thanks,

-marek
Old 30th April 2009, 04:17 AM   #13
Finn

Hi Marek, I agree with Sergio that a formula is not a ideal learning board or any better to learn pumping than any other board (if I understand him correctly). It is heavier but once you get going there is no cow left around and you get planing earlier. At my spot, where the wind very often is around 7-8 knots, the formula has a systematic advantage over other boards, including the f-type. That's my point.

Finn
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 04:33 AM   #14
Unregistered

The other thing to take into consideration is the water depth - if you have shallow spots, a longboard or hybrid with a retractable daggerboard can be better than a formula with its 70cm fin.

Another thing to consider is a big free-race/free-ride sail. They tend to have better low end than a pure race sail, so you might be able to get away with a 10m^2 rather than an 11 or 12.5. They can be less sensitive to having to have the top-end masts, too, so cheaper to run with less chance of mast failure.

I've also found the Serenity to work well with a smaller fin (<70cm) and a smaller, fuller sail like a Naish Boxer 6.2. At 75kg, I had fun in 8-12 knots with that combo. Maybe not the best all-out speed, but still plenty fun to sail around.

And, if you get used equipment, either Formula or Longboard, your bang for the buck goes way up.
Old 1st May 2009, 02:49 AM   #15
Crash

Try a Apollo or any of the formula boards 160 onwards with a 40cm weed fin for early planning its outstanding and just keeps going if the wind picks up. Many of the huge fins a pigs as soon as it goes over 12-15 mph the weed fin will not need to be changed down.
Crash
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 05:31 AM   #16
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Another thing to consider is a big free-race/free-ride sail. They tend to have better low end than a pure race sail, so you might be able to get away with a 10m^2 rather than an 11 or 12.5.
Not true in displacement mode by drag racing between 2 Serenity in 3-7 knots winds: the pure race Code Red 11.0 m2 sail was still faster than a fuller North 9.5 m2 freerace 2 cam sail. Reason is that a too full/baggy a sail is slow and/or surface does really matter in ultra light wind.

Quote:
I've also found the Serenity to work well with a smaller fin (<70cm) and a smaller, fuller sail like a Naish Boxer 6.2. At 75kg, I had fun in 8-12 knots with that combo. Maybe not the best all-out speed, but still plenty fun to sail around.
True. A very old 6.0 m2 V8 sail matched to the shallow 40 cm stock fin of the Serenity is indeed great fun in 10+ knots wind (2007 & 2008 Serenity). Same with kiddy 2.8-4.2 m2 rigs and kids in 1-3 Bft wind.

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 1st May 2009 at 05:38 AM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 05:35 AM   #17
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
Hei, what is a HS105? An Hypersonic?
Sorry for the slang : yes, HS105 = hypersonic 105.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 07:08 AM   #18
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Try a Apollo or any of the formula boards 160 onwards with a 40cm weed fin for early planning its outstanding and just keeps going if the wind picks up. Many of the huge fins a pigs as soon as it goes over 12-15 mph the weed fin will not need to be changed down.
Crash
Crash, sorry but I have to disagree, putting weed fin on FW, is like putting
snow tires with chains on a Ferrari...
It moves, but kills most of the top performace, pumping,
and upwind, etc... I use one ONLY in extreme weed conditions,
and most FW that are any good don't own one...
And newer formula 70cm fins regularly used in 20+ knots