Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th March 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
nikolas109

Post futura size for intermediate

Hello to everybody,

I am interested in purchasing a futura and I want some advice with regard to size.

So far I have sailed an exocet nano of 155 lt with a 5,5 NP Zen in conditions ranging from 11 to 20+ knots, choppy and for about 40 sessions. I am able to beach start but not capable to waterstart yet. I use the harness half the time I sail and I am strugling to get into the straps. My body weight is 80kg.

Unfortunately I have to let the nano go permanently since I have boroughed it from my cousin who is moving to a different city.

Once I have made an attempt to sail a '08 116lt/68wide mistral screamer but I have found it difficult to uphaul or attempt to get into the straps. I am looking for a board to progress and keep as much as possible and that's why I am not opting for a new nano.

I would realy appreciate some advice. Thank you very much in advance for your comments.
nikolas109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 02:43 AM   #2
leysenkr

When I had your experience level last year, i bought myself a 117L SB Aero. I learned alot and sold my 117L and bought this year the new futura 101L.
So I would go for the 122L.

You will grow to a smaller board next year but you will always keep your 122L for lighter days.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Chris Pressler

Hi Nikolas 109,
I would go a bit bigger and choose the FUTURA 133. Itīs a brilliant board to advance quick and you will have fun still, when you are advanced. Additionally the board works sweet with bigger sailsizes, too.

Enjoy,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 06:26 AM   #4
alwin

Default Futura 133 is a blast

I would go for the 133, this is a great board with lots of speed and manouverability. I got the 2008 version first however the retailer sold me a board with a little bump in it. He ordered the 2009 version for me which I got 4 weeks later (at no extra off course). The 2009 board was even better and faster. The first time I planed the board I got scary about the speed, but than you get used to it. Its a great board for the intermediaite and I cannot image you will throw away the board once you are more advanced.

Cheers
Alwin
alwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:44 PM   #5
leysenkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwin View Post
The 2009 board was even better and faster. The first time I planed the board I got scary about the speed, but than you get used to it.

Cheers
Alwin
I had exact the same feeling the first time I planed with my futura.
Old 5th May 2009, 06:09 AM   #6
alwin

To: Leysenkr,

So we have the same board, the futura 133. What kind of sail do you have. See my other posting, I have a hellcat 6.7 from NP but find it a bit small. I am thinking buying an 8 m2 either the V6 or Hellcat again. Would be interesting to hear what youre sailing. By the way I am Dutch, not too far from Belgium.

Cheers/groeten,
Alwin
Old 5th May 2009, 11:17 PM   #7
leysenkr

Quote:
To: Leysenkr,

So we have the same board, the futura 133. What kind of sail do you have. See my other posting, I have a hellcat 6.7 from NP but find it a bit small. I am thinking buying an 8 m2 either the V6 or Hellcat again. Would be interesting to hear what youre sailing. By the way I am Dutch, not too far from Belgium.

Cheers/groeten,
Alwin
Hello Alwin

I have a 101 Futura. I mostly surf at Kabbelaarsbank.
Old 21st May 2009, 05:00 AM   #8
alwin

Hi Leysenkr,
I plan to go to Grevelingendam next time there is some wind, that's pretty close right. Looks like a good surfing spot although never been there. Any good tips or suggestions you want to give me. Whats the best spot? I heart that a lot of Belgian people are going to Kabbelaarsbank.
Cheers
Alwin
Old 21st May 2009, 02:24 PM   #9
leysenkr

Quote:
Hi Leysenkr,
I plan to go to Grevelingendam next time there is some wind, that's pretty close right. Looks like a good surfing spot although never been there. Any good tips or suggestions you want to give me. Whats the best spot? I heart that a lot of Belgian people are going to Kabbelaarsbank.
Cheers
Alwin
Hello Alwin

When you check out a map about the Grevelingenmeer, you can see that Grevelingendam is perfect for all north oriented winds. Kabbelaarsbank is perfect at all south oriented wind. Wind is mostly more powerful at Kabbelaarsbank.

One golden tip. You MUST buy yourself shoes with carbon soles. These boots can save you a visit to the hospital due to oysters.