Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th May 2009, 07:14 AM   #1
cholo

Default Q for Tiesda: board width an upwind angle

with the same fin, sail, rider, a wider board can go more upwind?

why?
cholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:53 AM   #2
andretsin

Send a message via MSN to andretsin

As you can see, I'm not Tiesda. But I would like to give you my point of view.
Considering that the only variable is the board, as you start to point upper and upper, your speed decreeses and then you loose planning and later the fin stops working and you slide to the side. So a board which is able to keep planing in lower speeds will be able to point higher. And wider boards can plan in lower winds. So you have already my answer.
andretsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Ken

Not Tiesda, but here is an observation somewhat related to andretsin's comment.

I have raced formula for several years, sometimes in very light winds. I have found that I can make better upwind progress while slogging compared to others that are just planing. With just enought speed to plane, upwind performance is very limited. Of course, we are talking about boards of the same width.

I assume that cholo is talking about slalom or freeride boards that are planing. In this situation, I would agree that wider boards plane quicker and will likely point higher earlier than narrow boards. However, once at full speed I am not so sure. It depends on thickness of the board in the tail, width in the tail and rail design, so wider may not be better upwind when at speed.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 06:29 AM   #4
cholo

thanks andretsin, thanks Ken

I am speaking about slalom boards that are planing, your are right Ken.

My own explanation was that a wider board, or probably just a wider tail, make the rider "rail the board" easier, thus helping the fin to counteract the side force. In this case rail shape and thickness is also important.
But I am asking because I am not so sure, and I feel this is not the only reason.

Maybe with a wider board/tail rider stance and position realtive to the sail are naturally more optimized for upwind performance?
cholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo View Post
with the same fin, sail, rider, a wider board can go more upwind?

why?
Cholo,

With the same fin/sail/rider a wider board will ideally NOT go higher upwind. A wider board is needed to carry a longer fin/sail to get more pressure @ low-speed. If you use the same fin/sail I really think the smaller board goes higher upwind...

HOWEVER for most sailors it is the other way (wider board goes higher upwind), but this means the rider's weight is way to much on his feet on not hanging in his sail. This feetpressure causes the smaller board to be much more draggy.

I tried to better my upwindspeed a month ago... 26kn average @ 60 degrees was the result. Wind was 18kn, board was 61cm wide and I used a Select SL7 31cm. It was not the the width of the board that did the trick...

My best registerd angle WITH speedtuning is still 55 degrees from the wind. HOWEVER with Carbon Art Speed 44 + Tectonics Falcon F1 24cm + Gaastra Vapor 5.5 the upwind angle was even more extreme (take in mind there was a lot more wind involved). TO bad my computer crashed, can't read those gps files today.

Cheers,

Erik Loots
www.speedsurfingblog.com
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote