Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 12th May 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Toniolo

Default Fin for Kode 112lt.

Hi,

I bought a Kode 112 lt. two months ago with the Drake Freeslalom Swift 360 (original fin).

Now I'm going to change my homespot (flat water), and I'm going to surf in a more choppy and wave water (the waves's size is +/- from 1-2 mt.).

I'm 85 Kg., and 190 cm. tall. The more used sails will be 5.4 and 4.7 NP Alpha.

I would like to know, in your opinion, what is the right fin (size and type) I need to buy.

Thanks

Gianluca
Toniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 02:03 AM   #2
PG

A swept tip fin no bigger than 30 cm should do fine to start with. As you get more experience you may be able to use a wavestyle fin of maybe 27 cm, but that may be too big a jump to begin with.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Toniolo

Thank you PG.

There is a BIG problem: I discover that the smaller tuttle finn the Itlaian distributor imported is 32 cm. So he don't have a smaller finn tuttle for Kode!!!
This is INCREDIBLE for me that I bought 2 months ago a new board for 1.750 euro!!!

Now what do you suggest to do?

Thanks
Old 14th May 2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Lack of pure wave fins for tuttle base is a problem. In the days of the old Aero, Starboard had a 30cm tuttle wave fin, similar to the Drake Natural but oversized but it will probably be hard to find now.

Depending on in what country you are, you can probably fins an appropriate fin by from another Fin brand, like Select or Gsport. Euro sound like Europe, and then Select could be an option. They make fins for tuttle box. To keep a bit of B&J feel you could look for something from the "Bump and Jump" series, maybe around 28cm.

If you move more seriously into waves you may even end up going as far down as 25 and then you can look at the biggest version of the X1 wave.

In many European countries you can buy the Select fins online. http://www.select-hydrofoils.com/

Tell us if you need more help on this issue.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Toniolo

Thanks.

I'm going to try with Select (I'm italian), B&J 29 cm. or 31?

By
Old 14th May 2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

I think 29. It will be somewhat of a big step down, but you are not that heavy and will not use that big sails so the 29 will in the end give you a better feeling board.

And if you continue to sail waves with the board you can always complement with something even smaller and more wave dedicated later.

If you find a big classic wave fin for US box at a good price later on, it is possible to convert it to tuttle if you are a bit handy. But the X1 29 will probably be a good first step.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote