Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th May 2009, 06:24 AM   #1
davide

Default Dry Suit?

It might be because I am getting older but I am often feeling cold when sailing. Mostly it is is on the beach when having to undress naked (or so) before putting a 4/3 on is annoying. I live in a cold place and in at least one location a dry suit might be justified year around.

So the question is, how about a drysuit? The new one seems easier to deal with, and if they work for kites they should work for windsurf? For example the Ocean rodeo Pro http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/pyro_pro

Opinions?
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Davide,
I use a Kokatat GFE Drysuit, and I highly recommend them.

http://www.kokatat.com/catalog_pdf/2...009cat_8-9.pdf

They are pricey, but worth every penny.
It's like windsurfing in your pajamas!
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 09:12 AM   #3
wiindz

i dont have any experiance with the kokatat, but the ocean rodeo one is deffinately very good for windsurfing, ive heard many possitive responses to these suits, living in quebec, canada, the rivers and lakes freez over the winter, so if you want a long season, you need a dry suit. haveyou ever tried a 5/4 suit davide? many people around here use those, with thick booties and gloves and a hood in water as cold as 2C, i wouldnt recomend it, but it has deffinately been done! happy suit hunting!
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Per

Hi Davide.
I windsurf in Denmark where it's quite cold in winter (snow and ice), and I use a suit like the one you mention (mine is a Gul, but same principle and you wear a comfortable and warm dress on the inside).
I can highly recommend this kind of suit. Comfort is way higher than a neoprene as it sits like a "pyjamas" as Roger mentioned. Actually I feel less loose when I switch to my 4/3 summer suit.
No problem with keeping body temperature, you can just add extra inner suits. Durability is way higher than neoprene. After four seasons I dont have any tear or wear in mine. My former NP 6/4 winter suit (neoprene) started leaking after three weeks.
The greatest thing is that you can put on your inner suit at home, and you just have to take on the dress on the beach - no naked freezing experience.
I wont't even think about going back to neoprene for sailing in the cold season.

Have fun
;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 10:56 PM   #5
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiindz View Post
haveyou ever tried a 5/4 suit davide? many people around here use those, with thick booties and gloves and a hood in water as cold as 2C, i wouldnt recomend it, but it has deffinately been done! happy suit hunting!
I had a bulky 5 ages ago, no I use a 4/3, that works fine when I put on an extra 1mm top over it. Durability is a concern: last year the 4/3 was snag, but just after a year of use it got looser and water now makes it way through if you fall (lovely sensation).

But mostly I am looking at a drysuit to avoid the "naked on the beach" experience ... call me a wimp but even if the temperature is at the lowest 50 (10 centigrades) I am sick and tired to be wet and naked on the beach.

Per (from Denmark) testimonial is exactly what I want to hear!!

Last edited by davide; 28th May 2009 at 11:00 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Unregistered

Ocean rodeo pro has an amazing cut and fit but the breathability is lacking. I have emptied 2 litres of water from the ankles, it was sweat. Using UnderArmour as insulation the rest of me was dry. A kokatat breathes but is almost double the price and may not be as durable with respect to crotch seams or outer layer snags. That's speculation but Ocean Rodeo is some tough stuff. Cordura vs. Goretex not too much of a comparison. Mountain climber vs kayaker really. I don't think any kiter has ever died in a OR pro and that is saying something. If your local launch is shale or rock I'd get the OR, if it is sand the kokatat. because it allows you to wear it all day.