Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 16th June 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
sam 2007

Smile My new Rio

Roger,

I got my new Large Rio last week and am taking it out for the first time today. I think I'm going to really like it for light wind free style and for windier days too.

I tried to go to the Starboard registration page but it's not there. Also, I cannot find the serial number on my board. Do I need to register it?

Would the 65 cm fin that came with my Free Formula 198 be good for the Rio and my 8.0 and 10.0 Retros?

Thanks.

Sam
sam 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sam,
I think the serial number on the Rio is probably on the underside of the nose.
Did you check there?
I'll ask about the online registration page.
You 65 cm fin will work, but in my experience the Rio probably does not need a fin quite that large.
I have not sailed the Rio L so I'm not totally sure.
I've sailed my Rio M with a 60 cm custom fin and it worked quite well.
Glad to hear you finally were able to get the Rio L.
Let us know how you like it.
R
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 11:16 PM   #3
sam 2007

Roger,

You're right the serial number is on the bottom of the Rio so please check about the online registration.

I sailed my Rio Large for the first time yesterday with my 8.0 Retro and 4.6 Revolution and really liked it. It just shoots upwind with the 8.0 and daggerboard down. And, it went upwind well with my 4.6 sail in 8 knots too.

This is just the board I wanted for sailing in light wind with a small sail and working on light wind freestyle. Next time you see me in Bonaire you won't be able to tell me from Ceasar at a distance (well not closer than 2 miles anyway).

I think it will work well in planing conditions with my big sails too. I have a 55 cm fin that I can use with it instead of the 65 cm FF 198 one.

Roger, many thanks for suggesting the Rio. I didn't want a short 100 cm beginning board so the Rio is a great choice for me.

Sam
Old 18th June 2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sam,
Awesome!
I'm really glad that the Rio L seems like it will do all the things you want.
Best Regards,
R
P.S. I have emailed Starboard HQ but have not rec'd a reply.
Will let you know on the online warranty registration as soon as I get a
reply.

Last edited by Roger; 18th June 2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:06 AM   #5
sam 2007

Default Rio fin bolts

Roger,

I have used the Rio twice now and do really like it.

However, there is an issue with using my deep tuttle fin from my Free Formula. The Rio is advertised as having a deep tuttle fin box but the fin bolts that come with the board are too long for my deep tuttle fin and the fin bolts from my Free Formula are too short for the Rio.

The fin that comes with the board is a tuttle so it needs the longer bolts.

How come the board doesn't come with a deep tuttle fin since the Starboard web site says it has a deep tuttle box?

What size bolts does the Rio need to use a deep tuttle fin?

Help.

Sam
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sam,
Many boards that have Deep Tuttle (DT) fin boxes do not come with DT fins if the fin is less than about 50 cm.
So, according to my drawings of the DT fin box vs the standard Tuttle fin box, you will need a couple of fin bolts that are 18-20 mm longer than the shorter bolts from you Free Formula with the DT fin box and Fin, or about 18-20 mm shorter than the longer bolts that came with your RIO L that reach all the way down to your std. Tuttle fin.
The additional length of the DT fin head is 0.709" or 18 mm deeper into the fin box vs a std. Tuttle fin head.
It would probably be best to take the longer fin bolts and start them in the barrel nuts and then measure how much shorter your fin screws need to be.
On the Online Warranty Registration you asked about, I received a reply from Marina at Starboard HQ.
Starboard has not had this feature on the website since 2006.
Best thing you can do is fill out warranty card that came with your board and send or take it in to the dealer where you bought the board and have them complete the warranty registration process.
Hope this helps,
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:59 PM   #7
sam 2007

Default Fin Bolts

Roger,

Thanks for the info about the fin bolts. Gary Stone said the Rio takes 85 cm bolts for the deep tuttle fin. Does that sound about what you thought?

I was thinking that I would put the bolts in the deep tuttle fin and the drake tuttle fin and then line the bottoms up and measure the difference in the height of the bolt heads. That would be how much to cut off wouldn't it?

I sent my registration card in to Isthmus Sailboards. Thanks for checking on this.

Isthmus has the red Drake 08 R13 Race 480 SL tuttle fin on sale for $99. Would it be a good second fin for the Rio and big enough for my 8.0 sail on the Rio? I don't think Drake Fins has a web site anymore.

I found on the internet that a sailor had a 70 cm deep tuttle fin for $100 but that seems really big.

Please let me know what you think about a bigger fin for the Rio.

Thanks for your help.

Sam
Old 25th June 2009, 08:41 AM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sam,
Your "method" to measure the fin bolts doesn't make sense to me as the front bolt in both Tuttle and Deep Tuttle fins are longer than the back bolt (they've made them more similar by changing the thickness of the board by deepening the front fin screw cavity).
I'd suggest going to one of the hardware stores or West Marine and see if you can't get shorter bolts.
6mm x 1.0 Pan head Phillips screws get harder to find as they get longer so I'd be cautious about cutting any off.
I sailed the Rio M with a 62 cm (very powerful CNC foil custom fin) and found it to be really nice both in planing mode and with the CB down.
Don't think I'd recommend anything muc bigger than 58-62.
48 cm is probably a little on the small side, but should work for your freestyle endeavors.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Old 27th June 2009, 08:41 PM   #9
sam 2007

Roger,

The fin bolts on my Free Formula are different lenghts.

However, the fin bolts that came with the Rio are both 100 mm for the included tuttle fin. So, I cut an extra pair of bolts down to 85 mm each and they seem to work with my deep tuttle fin on the Rio. Gary told me that the Rio takes 85 mm bolts for the deep tuttle fins.

I haven't been out on the Rio on a fully planing day yet. Yesterday I sailed in 8 - 10 knots with my 8.0 Retro and the 65 deep tuttle fin and again I was very happy.

I'll keep in mind your suggestion of about a 60 cm fin for my bigger sails on the Rio.

Thanks.

Sam

Last edited by sam 2007; 27th June 2009 at 08:43 PM.