Old 19th June 2009, 04:58 PM   #11
Unregistered

Steve A hasn't tried all the board neither... he had a go last year on one and found them good, nothing more than this!

I think I was running ouyt of time as well to get tuned for the new season.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:20 PM   #12
LK

Well said, if you have to pay for your board and want to win, you buy what is best.
:-))
LK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 07:23 AM   #13
Unregistered

Steve is also using a Tabou 110.
Old 20th June 2009, 10:25 AM   #14
viking

It will be very interesting to see the ranking after the first event discard (is it after 4 or 5 events), then we will have an idea of the final ranking. Buzianis and Williams can come back on the podium easily.

I think Ross Williams is the next big champion in slalom (when A2 will end his domination, I think he has a couple of good years still to come), he is talented in waves too.

This year will be very interesting. Not for the first place, but the podium will be a serious contest between BD/Maynard/Williams/Buzianis and maybe one or 2 other guys.

Regarding to the boards performance, it is clear that it is the sailor who makes the result, not the board. It is more a question of style rather than performance that will make a sailor performing better or not on one board. Of course, the rig is very important and I guess than the difference of performances between the rigs are more significant than between the boards.
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 08:24 PM   #15
Grant

The real test would be to have AA and DB switch equipment back and forth between races within events with conditions being similar. Give them time to tune the equipment to their liking and then let them go at it! BD wouldn't have switched last year if he didn't think equipment made a difference. I suspect the better you and your competition are the more of a difference the equipment makes - the difference may seem subtle to everyone else, but if you're fighting for a top spot it'll seem huge to you. Boards, rigs and skegs - select the right stuff for the conditions and tune it properly and all other things being equal you'll most likely be a winner. If not, then why are racers paying thousands for a single fin if equipment isn't a major factor at this level?
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 12:51 AM   #16
Grant

Is Steve Allen independently wealthy? How else can he afford to compete at the top level without sponsors? I'd like to know more about him.
Old 28th June 2009, 02:35 PM   #17
Windman

Hi, Grant,

You can read about Steve at http://www.steveallen.pl/.

In the "Contact" section, you can mail him, but I do not think he is independently wealthy.

Regards,

Windman
Windman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 07:20 AM   #18
Grant

Thanks Windman - I googled his name and found an interview with him and he talks about why he doesn't have sponsors. He's not very happy about one of his former sponsors (Gaastra)!
Old 29th June 2009, 07:45 AM   #19
viking

I heard he became a kind of TV superstar in Poland in a singing contest show or this kind of program. Maybe he gets his money from that.
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 09:15 PM   #20
Unregistered

his wife's parents own a chain of pharmacies. Bet that has subsidised his career. He got paid to go dancing with the (polish) stars. Probably much better money than WS.