Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th July 2009, 10:13 AM   #1
kombat114buyer

Default Bought 'New' but Got Used/Waterlogged Board - Help/Fixable?

Hi there,
Thanks for your advice. I just bought a beautiful Kombat 114 that was sold to me as new. I was a bit skeptical because there were some smudges and a few minor marks on it but was assured it was new and the marks were just from being moved around the shop. Anyway, I was too stoked not to buy and took the shop owners word, but after getting it home and preparing to set it up, it seemed a bit heavy. Checked the specs online and it is supposed to be about 17 lbs (7.55 kg with the Tufskin), but when I weighed it, it came in at about 24 lbs. Then I found what look life a couple of after market repair screw holes on the bottom. Maybe those are evidence of an attempted repair? So, the board is about 8 lbs overweight. Can the extra weight be shed by some drying technique? Will the board rot? Anything I can do? Appreciate the help here.
Cheers
kombat114buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello kombat114buyer,
Where did you find the 7.55 Kg. weight for the 2008 Kombat 114 (Tufskin)?
Are you weighing your board with the footstraps and fin (s) installed?
According to the 2008 website archive (you can find this by clicking the "search" drop down near the end of the top bar on the 2009 web page) the weight of the Kombat 114
Tufskin with complete EVA deck pad) the weight is 9.7 Kg. (21.38 lbs) with a tolerance of +- 6% (0.582 Kg. or 1.2 lbs.).
This makes the max weight of the Kombat 114 Tufskin 10.282 kG. (22.67 lbs.) at the top of the tolerance.
Add in the weight of the fin (s) and 3 footstraps, and you are easily up to the 24 lbs your board weighs.
As far as the insert and screw holes in the bottom of your Kombat 114 Tufskin, I believe they are for the leash/tether webbing attachment.
If you find a couple of short footstrap screws and a loop of black nylon webbing, that's the tether attachment.
There should be one set of holes right ahead of the center fin box and maybe another set up just behind the nose.
These were installed at the factory, not "after market repair screw holes".
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 01:03 PM   #3
kombat114buyer

Hi Roger,
Wow! Thanks so much. I am very relieved. I got the specs I thought were correct thru a Google search on my board name + specs then went thru the results till I found something that looked reliable. Should have checked more thoroughly on your website. Will sleep well tonight knowing I did not get taken on a bad deal. Was weighing the board with fins out but did have straps on. With the tolerances you mentioned and subtracting the strap weight, my board is right on target.
Thanks very much.
kombat114buyer is offline   Reply With Quote