Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st August 2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Sliding Boom

Hi all,
My boom always slides down the mast when I'm sailing.
Does anybody know any trick to fix or avoid that?
I've already tried to increase the tension on the clamp without much sucess.
Thanks.
Old 1st August 2009, 05:00 AM   #2
joe_windsurfer

Default sliding boom

wow - while u r sailing?

used ta happen 2 me when uphauling, butt now people say i make it too tight 4 a carbon boom

somehow it is either too tight or loosening

you can try n put a knot in string where u r sure it is tight

i test the looseness/tightness by banging boom
if it moves - too loose ...
good luck
joe_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Ken

Some boom heads are difficult to adjust so that you have the correct pressure on the mast. If tightened properly, most booms won't slip. There could be a lot of factors that cause a boom to slip. Worn out line or cleat - line slips. No rubber pad between the boom head and the mast. Not attached tight enough, but be careful, masts can be crushed by boom heads that are too tight.

There have been a dozen or more different attachment designs over the years, many of which are either hard to adjust or just ineffective. The best designs are those that have one line in one cleat that can be adjusted instantly and can fit any diameter mast (standard). If you don't have this kind, see if you can find a replacement head.

However, one sure way to prevent slippage is to buy a stainless steel automobile hose clamp. Attach it just below the boom head and tighten by turning a screw until snug. You may have to cut the end off the strap if it is too long. I did this when I had a Steamline head that kept loosening up. I finally bought a Mauil Sails boom head, which I believe is the best on the market today.

Hope this helps.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Unregistered

Good idea Ken, I'll try this hose clamp stuff, maybe with a little rubber inside to avoid damages on the mast.
Thanks.
Old 1st August 2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Deja Vu

Another thing you can do is to cut some strips of sail repair tape and attach them to the inside of your boom head. Now the boom head won't slide down the mast once it is nicely secured.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:08 AM   #6
steveC

I have to second Ken's focus on the Maui Sails front end as a benchmark product. You can buy just the front end and retrofit many different booms on the market today. I did it with my 2003 HPL, and the performance improvement was incredible, along with the ease and simplicity of attaching, adjusting and removing the boom from the mast.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:56 AM   #7
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,
My boom always slides down the mast when I'm sailing.
Does anybody know any trick to fix or avoid that?
I've already tried to increase the tension on the clamp without much sucess.
Thanks.
Another option: get the streamlined head, it is the best in the market and it is bombproof. http://www.streamlined.us/boom-heads.htm. I retrofitted on my HPL booms and it has worked great

The Maui Sail/HPL (2006-07) boom head can actually fail if you tighten it too much (or at least this was the explanation I was given when one of the two "lips" broke while sailing).
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Floyd

Cool Inner Tube ???

Had same problem on an RDM mast and a boom with very hard boom clamp.(RDM has less surface area so more likely to slip ???)
Anyhow; I cut a 10 inch length of MTB inner tube; rolled into a donut and rolled into appropriate place on mast; then unrolled. Worked fine.Didnt last forever but gripped super and protected mast.(Had to change every 6 /7 times of usage)

On an SDM you wont get MTB tube over it so you`ll have to experiment with tube sizes. Moped tyre inner tube or something ???Its a headache getting it on but tighter the better.

Tried fixing similar to clamp but that never worked ???
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Ken

Davide,

The BIG trouble with the Streamlined head is that if you need to use it on more than one mast, adjusting it is a big pain in the A$$. I can take 5+ minutes to adjust the straps, and if you don't get it right, it taks another 5+ minutes. The single line and cleat set up of the Maui Sails boom head will adjust to any mast in less than 3 seconds.

The "Streamlike" boom head that I had was on a HPL boom, but wasn't actually made by Streamlined. Identical design, but the lines (straps) would slip and streatch and would never stay tight on the mast.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:51 PM   #10
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Davide,

The BIG trouble with the Streamlined head is that if you need to use it on more than one mast, adjusting it is a big pain in the A$$. I can take 5+ minutes to adjust the straps, and if you don't get it right, it taks another 5+ minutes. The single line and cleat set up of the Maui Sails boom head will adjust to any mast in less than 3 seconds.
Yep, I can see that, although I have a set of Hot Sails Hotrod RDMs (which fit all the sails in their line, including their race sails, very smart!) and the problem does not arise.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote