Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 31st July 2009, 09:34 AM   #1
KMAN

Default 71 or 76 quad

I'm 78kg and under usually, running 5.0 most of the time with a 4.5 blades when it picks up and looking at getting a 5.6 S1 for lighter days - hoping to get by with 1 board, and so wondering if 76 or 71 quad.

would the 71 be too small to run the 5.6 if i stack on the weight rather than drop it, would a 76 be big to run the 4.5 fully powered up. ie in conditions where a 4.0 would be prefered but you don't have one so slug it out on a 4.5...

considering I use a 5.0 85% of the time now due to wind conditions and would probably be more of a: 5.6 S1 25%, 5.0 Blade 65% and 4.5 Blade 10% of the time.

My current board runs a 58.5 width which I find slows me down in turns compared to some other boards I have run at 55ish widths and that said both boards are under this and have been reviewed to turn well considering their widths compared to your single fin similar width designs...
KMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Hard to say. 5.6 on the 71 is possible but it will be overloaded a bit. 5.0 is sweet spot though. Conversely the 76 is amazingly controllable with powered up 4.5 considering the width and will handle 5.6 much better. But it comes down to wave riding speed, I would say. In quality overhead waves and nice powered up sideshore the 76 might start to feel a bit big, especially if you're on the verge of being overpowered at the same. But if you're usually riding a bit slower waves I think the 76 is the safe bet.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 09:40 AM   #3
KMAN

Thanks for the run down, hmmm, I think 76 will be the way to go as I plan on using a 5.6 S1 a bit more than my overpowered/powered up 4.5 and hence think that the issue of "In quality overhead waves and nice powered up sideshore the 76 might start to feel a bit big, especially if you're on the verge of being overpowered at the same" won't arise too often that i'll be upset that I didn't get the 71. whereas "5.6 on the 71 is possible but it will be overloaded a bit" could frustrate me as it'll occur more often.

If I lost a little weight (to say 68-71kg) do you think 5.6 would still overload the 71? - this may motivate me to loose some weight and keep it off

Also would changing the fin set up by going to
# Quad 15 x 2 + Quad 11 x2 or # Quad 16 x 2 + Quad 11 x2 from # Quad 15 x 2 + Quad 12 x2 on th 76 as spec'd help when it does begin to "feel a bit big"
Old 3rd August 2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

If you're closer to 70 (like I am) then the 71 will work a tad better with 5.6, yes. And I would get the 71 as my only wave board, but I also sail quite a lot of days with 4.0 and 3.5. For sailing here in Sweden where we mostly get kind of mushy waves I would still probably get a 76 if I was only gonna use it from 4.5 and up. At least for me, the 76 feels like one of those boards that hide its size (width) well.

I have experimented a bit with fins on the 76 (16/11, 15/12, 15/11 and also 16+14 and 16+16 as thruster setups), but not enough to really tell what happens in high wind. I don't think the "overpoweredness" on the wave at high speed comes so much from the fins on this board. But there will be smaller fins coming out (14 and 13 front fins, I think) so maybe you can wait for those if you feel the board is over finned in high wind.
Old 4th August 2009, 09:19 AM   #5
KMAN

it'll be a while before I get to 70kgs and can maintain it, and by the sounds of it 76 should perform - i got no sail or intention to sail in balistic sub 4.5 conditions. Will be interesting to see how it performs with different fin set ups, gonna contact my local and get a 76 quad wood onto an order.

thanks
Old 4th August 2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Great. Report back when you're sailed it.