Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 31st August 2009, 04:19 PM   #1
photek

Default Starboard Start S - Can I remove (unscrew) the center fin?

Hi,

I have a Starboard Start Small (150 lt) from 2004-2005.

Now that I can plan, use the footstraps etc, I was wandering whether I can remove totally (unscrew) the center fin (daggerboard), in order to make the board ligther and therefore faster.

Or this will affect its balance ?

And if it is possible should I fill the empty space with something else or it does not matter ?

THANK YOU very much
Giorgos from Athens, Greece.
photek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Giorgos,
You could unscrew the EVA/plastic deck plate and remove the center board and it's locking mechanism.
Then cut some closed cel foam to make filler piece (or leave it void would work also).
Then make up a new solid top plate from materials similar to the original deck plate (use the original deck plate as a template) and cover/seal the top of the centerboard slot.
You might remove about 5-7 lbs. (2.2-3.2 Kg.) but you probablly won't improve the performance of the board as much as you think.
It will not affect the balance of the board, but purchasing a GO or Carve/Futura is a much better way to get the performance you are looking for.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 02:10 PM   #3
photek

Thank you Roger for your quick answer. Here are some comments/questions to yours answer.

>>> You might remove about 5-7 lbs. (2.2-3.2 Kg.) but you probably won't improve the performance of the board as much as you think.

So the board will loose 2.2 -3.2 Kg weight eh? That sounds a lot !!! I was expecting less. The board is now 13 Kg and so it will go down to aprox. 10 Kg. (almost 25% down). I sounds like a big change to me and I can not understand why this change will not affect the performance of the board (providing of course that the rider is a good surfer). Of course I am not an expert so I trust you know something more here.

>>> Cut some closed cel foam to make filler piece
OK. That sounds easy. Thank you

>>> Then make up a new solid top plate from materials similar to the original deck plate.

But for this I do not have a clue. It sounds a bit complicated for someone who never used epoxy resin, polyester materials etc etc.
I guess there is no easier way. For example Starboard (or another third company) can not provide me with something like a cassette or something that can fit into the centerfin hole?

>>> purchasing a GO or Carve/Futura is a much better way

For sure ! I am going to buy a new board anyway (I was thinking Futura). The reason I made this post is because I don't want to sell the old one. I would like to keep it for days with less wind and bigger sails.

Thank you again
Greetings from Athens, Greece.
Old 1st September 2009, 02:49 PM   #4
photek

Thumbs up

By the way, I was looking at the specifications of my board comparing to the new Futura 155 and the Go 155 (I chose these because they have similar volume). Of course I am comparing the tufskin boards.

--------Start S (2004) / Futura 155 / Go 155
Volume (lt) 150 / 155 / 155
Length (cm) 235 / 249.5 / 249
Width (cm) 85 / 85 / 85
Tail (cm) 56 / 57.2 / 59.5
Weight tufskin (Kg) 13 Kg / 11,20 / 11,95
Fin size Drake Shallow 410 / Drake R13 Race NR 520 / Drake R13 Race NR 520 S-Flex + Shallow 410

So to my understanding (I am not an expert so please advise) there is a difference:

a) in the length (both futura and go are 14 cms longer boards). I guess this makes them a bit faster but more difficult to turn.
b) in the tail although futura is very close to mine
c) weight around 2 Kg.
d) and fin size.

So my (perhaps naive) conclusion is that if i make my board lighter by removing the centerboard cassette and if I put a better fin (e.g. Drake R13 Race NR 520) the performance of my board will become close to the performance of Futura 155 Tufskin (only the length differs) ? Or am I wrong here ?