Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th August 2009, 03:03 AM   #11
steveC

bigblue,

Which fin and size did you ultimately decide on?
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 03:34 AM   #12
bigblue

I bought a 28 cm Lessacher Chamäleon since we have some serious weed sometimes - like today. But since the fin was to big and I did not have the right tools for the job, I had to ride with my ordinary MFC 34 SL and stop every second leg to remove the vegetables.
bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 10:07 AM   #13
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Big Blue,
What tools do you need? A double cut flat file, a bar of soap for marking the high spots,
and a piece of about 180 grit abrasive cloth.
Check some of my older posts on fitting fins. Do a search on "Fitting Fins".
If you use the soap (rub it on the fin root to see where the root is tight in the fin box)
it should only take a few minutes and a few strokes with your double cut file to get the Chameleon to fit into your isonic.
The abrasive cloth is simply to fair in where you file off the high spots.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 02:00 PM   #14
bigblue

Thanks Roger. I got the job done, but once in place i could not tighten the front because the bolt in the fin was not correctly thread. And in addition i noticed a small indentation in the back of the fin base. About 1 cm wide and 2 mm deep. It was as if there was not enogh material during the making. So I''m taking the fin back to the shop for replacement.
Old 16th August 2009, 11:36 PM   #15
bigblue

Just a quick report from my first session with the new weed fin. We have had a great combo on the Swedish west coast today – Sunny, Sunday and steady winds (Force 6). I went blasting in our bay and for once I was weed free. What a relief. The jybing and the speed was very similar to the runs I've had with my standards MFC 34 SL. I used it with a 6.6 North S-type and my 101 Isonic. It never lost the grip, but when we went out in the chop fully powered up, you could feel the tendencies as it sometimes slid 1-2 inches down wind. The fin sort of let you know that this is about as much as it could take. But all in all, I'm happy.
Old 5th October 2009, 04:12 AM   #16
Glensdal

I tried a Lessacher le duo weed 28 cm for my isonic 101 and P7 Ac1 7,2m2 sail in 20-35 Knots wind this weekend here in Denmark. The conditions were mixed from very flat water to full choppy open ocean. I must argue that this weed fin really rocks! I have not experienced any spin outs with this 28 cm fin and its blazing fast crosswind and downwind, even faster than many of the G10 slalom fins that I have tried from 36 cm - 40 cm. Generally 28 cm fin goes for speed and are only reliable for downwind, but lessachers fins go well even upwind when water is not too choppy. Even in choppy condition, the fin has good grip and control, overall my isonic was running very fast and controlable.
Glensdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:35 AM   #17
Lessacher

Hallo Bigblue! Pardon me,what happend with the Chamäleon fin , should not be.Was the fin from Tekkno? Wolfgang
Lessacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:44 AM   #18
Lessacher

Hallo Mr. Glensdale! You got a pic of the rake 30° fin. Thomas Döblin made 50 knots
topspeed with a 22cm fin. She is 28cm long.If you are fast, no problem with weed.
Thank you: Wolfgang
Lessacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 03:36 AM   #19
bigblue

Hi Wolfgang, I changed my Tekkno Chamäleon fin at my local dealer. They looked at the fin - no questions asked. Also the one I have now has a small indentation at the back of the fin base. But it is minor and I was soo looking forward to going surfing.