Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 4th November 2009, 10:42 PM   #1
emir633

Default ready to buy a board?

Hi!

I'm windsurfing for 3 years. This summer will be my 4th year. I can jibe in the both directions. I can go really fast and the volume of the board that I rent is below 105 volumes. I want to go fast and race. Am I ready to buy an isonic and a slalom sail??

Please answer;
emir633

Last edited by emir633; 16th September 2010 at 04:34 AM.
emir633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 03:07 AM   #2
nonopr

yes you are ready for an iSonic either 101 or 94 and sails from 5.0 to 7.6 in either of them.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 02:53 AM   #3
emir633

thanx and why are you think like that cause most of my friends said me that it is early to buy an isonic...
Old 7th November 2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Vando

Quote:
Originally Posted by emir633 View Post
thanx and why are you think like that cause most of my friends said me that it is early to buy an isonic...
I think your friends will know what best for you.
Maybe a good step would be the Futura 101 still very fast but just easier to gybe and handle.

My Weapons
2013 ISonic117w, 97, Fu93 and Speed Special 49
Vando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 11:32 PM   #5
emir633

but i think im ready because im so fast and good at gybing..
Old 11th November 2009, 10:23 PM   #6
emir633

is there anyone can really help me?
Old 12th November 2009, 12:25 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi emir633,
You can certainly buy a 90-100 liter iSonic, and get a couple of good slalom race sails to power the board.
Who knows why your friends want to keep you on other boards? I guess you need to ask them.
But, being able to jibe, and your ability to go fast (compared to whom or what other boards, rigs and sailors?) does not necessarily mean that an iSonic and a couple of good slalom race sails will make you into a sucessful racer.
Have you ever raced (in an orgainzed slalom event, not just against your buddies at the local club)?
Also, what are the conditions you sail in?
Is an iSonic really the most suitable board for your conditions?
I know, lots of questions and no answers here, but the only way to find the real answers is to buy the iSonic and slalom race sails (with the high carbon masts they were designed on) and go out and see how you do "on the water".
Sailors do progress much more quickly on the modern gear, so there is a strong likelyhood that you are "ready" for something like an isonic, but unless you are sailing near the front of the fleet in organized slalom races, there is no way of telling if you are
ready for slalom racing.
You have to enter the races, and see you well you do, then decide if the iSonic/rigs was
really the best way to go.
And, (here's the hard part), if you do not do well in the organized slalom races, with gear that is known to be at the front of the fleet much of the time, you need to work on improving your skills (sailing consistently fast, making all your jibes, starting well, tuning your gear for changing conditions).
When you are consistently at the front of the fleet in at least regoinal level racing..... then you are fast!
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 04:27 AM   #8
Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emir633 View Post
but i think im ready because im SO FAST and GOOD AT GYBING..
This made me chuckle ;-)

Maybe your friends are a bit cautious because you ask about catapulting? Mind you, these can be ugly on that wide square nose.......
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 08:30 PM   #9
emir633

Roger,

thanks a lot. I didn't raced before in an organized slalom event. I was renting the kit from a surf school. I was using jp supersport and a slalom sail. I understand what you r saying but I don't understand one thing? Am I ready to buy a slalom kit???
Old 12th November 2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Ken

Emir,

A freeride board like the Futura will be faster than an iSonic in the hands of most novice and intermediate sailors. It's easier to sail and has better control in choppy conditions than the iS. Experts can reap the benefits of the true slalom boards and can potentially go faster. Overall, if you aren't a dedicated slalom racer with a lot of experience, the Futura will likely suit you better and be more fun.

Speed is a product of the sailor and his ability to control the board in fully powered, rough conditions. I think that at your level of experience, you will be faster on the futura.

Good success in slalom racing means that you don't make mistakes. Great starts, consistent planing jibes & no falls = winning. Speed is secondary.

Just my thoughts............
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote