Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 7th November 2009, 05:20 AM   #1
jojo319

Default board selection

hi guys... i'm just a beginner. i already use harness but not in the footstraps yet. i'm 5'11" and 200lbs. i'm planning to get a new futura but can't decide on what volume to purchase. condtions her in my place where i sail is 15kts average with choppy waters sometimes. any suggestions on the volume of board i should get? is technora more durable than wood? i want to get a much durably futura because i know i will learn on it and maybe damage it later on. thanks...
jojo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 03:23 AM   #2
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo319 View Post
hi guys... i'm just a beginner. i already use harness but not in the footstraps yet. i'm 5'11" and 200lbs. i'm planning to get a new futura but can't decide on what volume to purchase. condtions her in my place where i sail is 15kts average with choppy waters sometimes. any suggestions on the volume of board i should get? is technora more durable than wood? i want to get a much durably futura because i know i will learn on it and maybe damage it later on. thanks...
I'll try an answer: as a beginner you need at least 30L more than your weight in Kg to be comfortable when slogging, uphauling your sails etc.. So the Futura 133, or maybe better the 141, might be the best board. The nice thing is that you won't outgrow it when getting better, it will just become your light wind board.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 04:40 AM   #3
Screamer

Hi Jojo

Where you sail you've got a 15kts average which is not bad, and on that fact alone I would recommend a board around 120 l or smaller. But not for you.
Since you are learning how to use footstraps and plane, you'll need a bigger board, I'd say around 150-160 litres for your 90kg. It will give you stability on all points of sail and during tacking/gybing. No point in getting too small, wobbly board for a beginner. You are right that it will be damaged during harness practice, expect catapults, so I think your best bet is GO with an eva deck. Once you master it, maybe you'll want to change it (as opposed to a Futura which would be the keeper maybe), but it's too early to plan your quiver long term.

Good luck

Edit: what gear have you sailed before?

Last edited by Screamer; 12th November 2009 at 04:47 AM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote