Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th November 2006, 05:05 PM   #11
Doby

Default RE: North Sails "One mast fits all" concept.

Roger, no, the best mast according to North for example the ICE is 400 for 4.7 5.3 and 5.7. Only for the 6.2 they recommend the 430 over the 400 + CX. I??m 90 kg been windsurfing since -89 and the performance of the ICE with a 400 is just amazing. I also ride an 8.3 daytona with 460 + CX and it??s great.
Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 06:20 AM   #12
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Seve C and Doby:
For Steve C.
Yes, virtually all sail designers do sugggest "alternate masts".
I often use "alternate masts" (esp. with the Sailworks Huckers) as this can change the characteristics of a sail quite a bit.
I guess my "point" has been missed here somehow.
If you check the link in Post #2, you will clearly see that North "specifies" a particular mast as the "best mast" (with the little slashes whatever they mean) but is also very specific on the range of
IMCS stiffness numbers.
The chart also lists the "best"/and suggested alternate length masts and it's pretty clear to me that they designed each sail around a particular mast.
So, you what the full performance that the designer had in mind...?
Or do you want to save some money and get something other than the full performance. It's your choice, and can be influenced (as you suggest) by sailor weight, ambient conditions, sailor style, and discipline you are most interested in (i.e. speed, racing, B&J, waves; or freesailing.
For Doby:
Here's the link for the ICE (a different breed of sail than the Daytona for sure)
http://www.north-windsurf.com/sails/ice.en
As you can see, the "best mast", and the range of IMCS stiffness numbers changes as the sails get larger.
Have you ever tried your sails with the recommended best mast?
Try to borrow genuine North masts that are specified as the "best mast" for your sails and let me know what differences you see in how they rig and how they feel on the water.
I'm pretty sure you will both see and feel a noticeable difference.
Might be better, might not, but only you can make that decision.
Upgrading to the "best masts" might be a good thing, and maybe it won't make enough difference to justify the cost. Again your decision.
I'm reasonably sure that the designers of the Daytona and Ice sails had a particular mast in mind, that they used to develop and test the sail.
Marketing then came along and pretty much made them put "alternate masts" and IMCS numbers in the chart, because that's their marketing program.
No one knows if they ever tested the sails with both the "best mast" and the "alternate mast" side by side.
Hope this helps,

Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 06:50 AM   #13
steveC

Hi Roger,

Looking back to my prior post I should have offered somewhat of a qualification with my comments. I was viewing my brand, but in particular, my thoughts were more based on small overlaps or possibilities. I should emphasize that I wasn't proposing using a single mast over a broad range of sails. Really, my strategy is more focused on the "custom" idea. I like to view it as an outgrowth of thinking outside the box a bit. Of course, like I mentioned earlier, I'm a lighter guy that can make decisions that heavier folks can't always benefit from in the same ways that I do. On the other hand, they can make inpendent decisions on the other end of the spectrum using a little stiffer mast, and this might even mean allowing some mast extension off the top. I think that it's important to exerperiment a bit, especially if one needs to conservative on their financial expenditures. Sometimes compromises aren't always a reduction in performance. That's where the "custom" ideas can shine.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 11:28 AM   #14
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Steve,
Cool!
We have communicated.
I see your points very clearly, and since I'm also a smaller lightweight sailor, I too must "experiment" with softer masts to get the most from my sails.
Experimenting with alternate masts is good, after you've tried your sail on the recommended "best" mast to find out what the designer had in mind.
I've never said that the North "Extendo" system does not work. I'm sure that it does, and there are thousands of sailors using the 2 mast concept with good success.
But I, like you, have a bit of trouble seeing how you can get the optimum design performance with the 2 mast system, throughout a wide range of sizes, unless whoever designed the sails also used the "2 mast system" in their designs.
It seems pretty clear to me that in the case of the sails we are discussing here (and nearly all sails in general) that the sails were designed on a specific mast.
It would be very cool if the sail designers would also give us some of their "design parameters" like how heavy was the sailor they designed and tested the sail for?
What actual windspeeds did they focus on for a particular size sail, and did they test outside that range?
The "best mast" and the suggested rigging parameters are nearly always the best place to start, and then we "customize" (your term) to make the design work for us.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:22 PM   #15
Doby

HI Roger, yes as you see in the charts the best mast is a 400 from 4,5 to 5,7 so I don??t understand what you??re saying. The best masts for the 2006 Daytona 8.3 is a 460 + CX which several persons have confirmed for instance Craig at Fanatic.

I sail with the best mast that is North Gold and platinum....
Doby is offline   Reply With Quote