Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 12th January 2010, 05:01 AM   #11
Unregistered

As far as I'm concerned, its easier to learn windsurfing than kiting.
It really depends what you want and whether you travel and/or compete.
A few years ago in Tarifa there was a group who seemed to kite (one board, one kite) up to about 20 knots.
Above that, they seemd to be on a 5.0 or smaller and a wave board ( or something small anyway!).
Magic......simplicity...
In reality, we all have too much equipment.
Travelling with kiting kit is a breeze.

Whatever, enjoy yourselves and dont get so beaten up on what kit you have !
Old 12th January 2010, 05:03 AM   #12
mario.milhazes

Hi

Ive done boat sailing for few years and tried out kite just to see what i was missing and for sure i will stay with windsurf until i have health and strength to do it......this sport is just amazing!!!!!

In my opinion there is no much fun being pulled around by a big blanket....

Im 40 years old and ive done a lot of sports like: Soccer, Volley Ball, bodybuilding, boat sailing, kayaking and windsurfing....stayed several years at each of them and i must say that windsurfing is the most fun, amazing and adrenaline one ive done!!!!!

I have fun windsurfing in 10 to 30 knots with 8.0m sails to 5.0m sails....i think with less than 10 knots just relax and go for a swim or tan....

I wished i could have started earlier......

Last edited by mario.milhazes; 12th January 2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: test
mario.milhazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 06:42 AM   #13
kiwiben

I learnt to KS about four years ago because i live by the sea. It was a real hassle here though: No one to help me launch or land the kite. No big wide beach to rig and launch. Sticks and shells catching my lines. But most of all, the wind is too gusty here and my kite would often fall from the sky.... very difficult as a learner.

I had a few close calls with unintended air. Could have easily died...

Anyway, one day I thought "what ever happened to Windsurfing?" I would have none of these problems windsurfing...(I had learned in the 80's with horrible gear and no lessons and had abandoned it and forgotten it.) So I asked a guy I saw one day as he got off the water and he pointed me in the right direction.

Since that day all my KS problems have been solved. That is why WS is better for me. If I lived somewhere else I would have kept kiting I think. But the big surprise about it all is how amazingly fun WS is now, compared to the 80's.

I bet there are millions (literally) of people my age who gave up windsurfing in the 80's and just assume it still sucks... someone should tell them how good it is now.
kiwiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 06:49 PM   #14
BelSkorpio

I've showed my sun when he was 11 how good is windsurfing. That's 3 years ago now. Those days, he also spoke about kiting, but I wisely changed his mind and sent him to windsurf camps in stead, because I thought it was a safer sport. In the mean time he manages to plane with harness into the footstraps and boy, he likes it ! Windsurfing is probably the only thing that can drag him away of his computer, you know how the kids are these days. He doesn't speak anymore about kiting.
Next summer we are going to do a windsurf trip together to a sandbank a few kilometers into the sea. It looks like a little island, that get flooded with high tide. He's already looking forward to it. So am I. I wouldn't see me doing this with a kite.

Cheers.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 07:40 PM   #15
Farlo

How lucky you are!! WS is definitely something you would like to share with your family. Despite many proposals none of my four kids ever seemed interested. My wife stopped WS when she got the first baby and did not help me either. Many friends consider WS a kind of lost art and ask me why I don't try kiting. In their mind it's a logical evolution like snowboard. But as long as I get so much FunOnWater, and keep learning... maybe I'm just too old/addicted.

Last edited by Farlo; 13th January 2010 at 12:56 AM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 05:16 AM   #16
steveC

I have to say that almost all my old windsurfing buddies switched to kiting long ago and dumped all their windsurfing gear. As you would expect, I received a lot of peer pressure to cross over to the "dark side" and abandon windsurfing. But, I really love the sport of windsurfing, and the idea of turning to another sport just doesn't make sense to me.

Earlier in my life I was a dedicated surfer for many years (over 22 years), but in the mid 80s I discovered windsurfing and just had to do it. While I both surfed and windsurfed for a number of years afterward, I found that surfing just wasn't making me as happy as it did when I was a younger man. Much of this is because of my age. By my mid 40s, it was becoming increasingly difficult to compete in the lineup with young guys in their teens and 20s. So, you might say that I ultimately crossed over to the "dark side" dedicating myself solely to windsurfing.

Now I mention all this old history because what I found is that all my old windsurfing buddies kind of painted themselves in the corner by focusing on riding the waves. Given that the winds can be on the light side where I live, with only small waveboards and sails they found less and less opportunity to sail, especially since good waves matched with decent wind are often infrequent. Kiting ultimately offered these guys a way to rip small waves in light wind. Given their very narrow focus, kiting simply offered more.

For me though, I didn't start windsurfing to become a wavesailor. I've had so many waves in my time that I wasn't totally enamored by the wave scene like many that never surfed before windsurfing or kiting. Don't get me wrong, I take advantage of the waves if conditions are good, but I still thoroughly enjoy just sailing about. I love freedom and speed of open ocean conditions, so simply dogging the surf lineup just doesn't tend to make me as happy.

I have to admit though, seeing the kiters rip up the waves has been a bit tempting. However, in my opinion, the idea of dealing with the long lines with a power source 75 feet away is the weak link in the kiting scene. The lines totally sour me on the thought of kiting. Although I view kiting as a great sport, it will never be in my future.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 07:10 PM   #17
BelSkorpio

Yes, with me it were also my old windsurf buddies (now converted to kiters) that put the pressure on. I've resisted though, and wont cross over anymore to the "dark side"
I'm speaking a lot with youngsters about this subject and must say that there are still a lot of youngsters that choose resolute for windsurfing in stead of kiting. But I think they are in a slight minority. Probably the advantage of having less equipment to carry is also very important for them.
A logical evolution like snowboard, yes I agree, but I know really a lot of guys that already gave it up and are into skiing because they say it's safer and falling does not hurt that much.
I also think that kiting is a great sport as long as you keep it safe, not only for yourself but also for the others on the beach. According to me, the issue of needig really a lot of space on the beach will become their greates challenge/problem for the future. If I see how crowed our beaches get with kiters nowadays ... I must admit that I dont feel comfortable between them, with all respect.
Old 14th January 2010, 08:36 AM   #18
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As far as I'm concerned, its easier to learn windsurfing than kiting.
I disagree. One week of kiting with a few days of instruction will have most athletic people kiting upwind and maybe even getting some small jumps. Windsurfing's learning curve is very steep and you won't see many windsurfers planing around in the straps, staying upwind, and jumping after a week (or two or three or...). In fact, I watched a frustrated intermediate windsurfer pick up kiting's basics in only a few days in La Ventana last winter. He quit windsurfing and talked his windsurfing-newbie girlfriend into kiting instead. I'm not sure this scenario is so uncommon.

I've kited for a few seasons and have passionately windsurfed for 30 years. I still find windsurfing more interesting when its over 20 knots. I enjoy kiting and love jumping and riding waves, but the sensation of windsurfing feels better to me for some reason. Both sports are very fun, and my kiting has forced me to think differently while I windsurf (I find I go for more tricks/loops/etc and don't mind getting punished as much).

It's sad to see so many would-be windsurfers give up and start kiting for the instant gratification (and possibly accelerated boredom later on). Windsurfing stays interesting for longer in my opinion, and is more difficult to master. Many of the local ex-windsurfers here who've moved to kiting don't get out as much anymore. They feel like they've gotten as much from kiting as they can, and they've faded from the scene. Some have expressed interest in returning to windsurfing; hopefully they do. I see very few newcomers to windsurfing here; we're all getting older and we need new blood. Kiting seems to offer more initial excitement to many people, but I'm not sure it holds people's attention for long.
Old 14th January 2010, 08:38 AM   #19
steveC

Interesting that you mentioned the snowboard/skiing thing. I started skiing as an adult in my 20s, and never made the later switch to snowboarding in the 80s.

Again, it's about doing something that you really enjoy. The thought of abandoning something you like for something else doesn't always resonate, despite the supposed advantages that many profess. Again, no dig against snowboarding, but sometimes one just needs to decide at the crossroads what path to take. Quite honestly, I don't don't regret my path in the least. Sometimes old school wins out.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 06:46 PM   #20
BelSkorpio

Unregistered:
You seem to come up with a new aspect of kiting, being more easy to learn but getting faster bored of it as well. It's something that I also heard from a buddy/kiter.

I think that many of the converted kiters still believe that they can do their sport with less wind. I'm convinced that a lot of my old buddies think like that. A lot of them have not followed anymore the new evolution in boards of the last years, i.e. becoming wider and shorter. This in combination with the sails becoming bigger and easier to control in a larger wind range makes that windsurfers - especially the heavier ones - can now plane with less wind, compared to kiting.

steveC:
I totally agree of course. You need to do the the thing YOU really enjoy and not what the MARKETING machine tells you to do. This is always the best attitude. And it doesn't mean that you can't try new things.