Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 15th January 2010, 04:44 AM   #21
Unregistered

Question

The anology to snowboarding is a good one. Under duress and with encouragement from daughters I made switch to snowboarding (from Skiing) Been able to do both (in a fashion) gets best results allround ? On long fast piste runs skiing wins out; (for me) but in good snow/off piste/powder there is just no comparison. Board wins out easy.Nearest thing I`ve found to windsurfing.
Some days I board; some days I ski. To my mind best of both worlds.

Thought it would work out same with kiting. It didn`t. I never ever ; not once felt better off on kite. For me kiting just didnt provide same sentation.
Good luck to those it works for though.

Floyd
Old 15th January 2010, 10:54 AM   #22
steveC

As unbelievable as it may seem, some kiters (originally old windsurfers) still windsurf in higher winds.

Certainly, nothing wrong with working both sides of the game. But, a rare breed, no doubt.

I think that windsurfing maintains a core potential that survives in spite of the pressure offerd by the competition.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 02:25 PM   #23
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
As unbelievable as it may seem, some kiters (originally old windsurfers) still windsurf in higher winds.

Certainly, nothing wrong with working both sides of the game. But, a rare breed, no doubt.
It is not very too hard to see why. A kite has a smaller range than a windsurf, both in very light wind and in extremely high winds you can do things with a windsurf that you cannot do with a kite.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 03:44 PM   #24
kennatt

I've windsurfed for 25 years and kited for 5. I do both depending on my mood.. Just to set things straight.Kiting can be learned in a week of good conditions,windsurfing well, still learning realy. kiting in light to moderate winds alows self launch and recovery no need for a buddy,The two can't be compared its like the 100 meter sprint and the pole vault,both athletics but different disiplines, the drive from a kite is different from a windsurfing rig .One massive advantage of kiting is that you only need water a foot deep,so when you get small waves inshore with the wind cross shore you can ride the waves straight downwind close to the shore. to me that is the only benefit. From there on windurfing is by far the more versatile. Safe kiting is too dependant on wind direction,and obstacle free areas. I can kite for an hour or two without ever touching dry land. I'd be dead on my knees if I stayed out that long on a windsurfer,so apart from being easier to learn kiting is less pysically demanding. As to safety well waking over the road is deadly if you close your eyes and hope. Kiting and windsurfing are relatively safe if you use good practices and think about what you are doing.The new breed of kites can be depowerd at will and simply and drop out of the sky The bulk of the kiters I know ,were would be windsurfers who just could't quite progress to a carve gybe ,I'll keep on doing both,as long as the grim reaper stays away, Fair winds 4 to 5 bf please.

Last edited by kennatt; 15th January 2010 at 03:47 PM.
kennatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 12:42 AM   #25
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennatt View Post
As to safety well waking over the road is deadly if you close your eyes and hope. Kiting and windsurfing are relatively safe if you use good practices and think about what you are doing.The new breed of kites can be depowerd at will and simply and drop out of the sky The bulk of the kiters I know ,were would be windsurfers who just could't quite progress to a carve gybe ,I'll keep on doing both,as long as the grim reaper stays away, Fair winds 4 to 5 bf please.
Good points Kennatt, I only disagree regarding safety. Kiting is much more dangerous than windsurfing, and even the best riders cannot help situations in which you drop from the sky, or the freak accident in which you dragged in water or land, or crash against a solid barrier.

Not a scientific survey but in 2009 alone I counted 2 people dead at la Ventana (washed to shore), 2 in Italy (close to Rome and at Garda, both seen from the beach falling out of control, hitting water, and drowning), one in California (washed to shore), plus a person loosing his leg as a consequence of injuries.

Nothing wrong with a dangerous sport, but 1 week to learn + denial of risks can make for a deadly combination.

Last edited by davide; 17th January 2010 at 03:26 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 05:07 AM   #26
BelSkorpio

I don't want to be sinister, but I counted last year 1 deadly kite accident in the Netherlands and 1 deadly kite accident in Belgium. It was all over the news.
The one in the Netherlands flew against a beach house and had a death-struggle of half an hour on the beach. When the ambulance was there, it was all over.
The one in Belgium was never on the water. He just wanted to practice with his kite on the beach, exactly where the greatest danger exists of course.

I think that indeed too many people start kiting without enough knowledge and practice.
It's a shame for the imago of the sport.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 04:28 PM   #27
kennatt

when I say one week to learn I mean , with a qualified instructor.rigging ,launching, self rescue ,control of the kite,recognising danger/safety,getting onto the board,riding out,turning the board and getting back to the beach.All in moderate winds up to about 15knts.With a modern depowerable kite.The jumping high comes later with experience.All of the accidents I have seen have been when kites have been used in stupidly high winds like upwards of 25/30knts,or when they have been used by beginers without qualified supervision who see experienced kiters and think That looks good,they go and buy a kite and think thats all they need to do.Yes highly expirenced kiters can and do get into difficulties,and there have been too many fatalities,just as there have in ski and snowboarding,sky diving,potholing etc.I once witnessed a guy at my local beach,first time with a kite,Behind the high sand dunes with 30knts blowing over the top start to launch a 15 metre kite.Before I could get to him to stop and warn him,the kite rose slowly up then was caught by the wind above the dunes.Thirty foot up he then had no idea what to do and in panic redirected the kite which pulled him superman style, still twenty foot up .towards the sea. He hit feet first doing about 30mph,in a few inches of water.Result air amubance rescue and both hip joints dislocated and both sides of his pelvis fractured.It is dangerous but thats why I say it shouldn't be compared to windsurfing,When things go wrong when on a windsurfer generally you don't get hurt,or if you do it's relatively minor. Also if you have never been on a windsurfer then Even without lessons you can buy a suitable board,climb on and have a mess about. Not so with kiting,essential to have qualified instruction,even from the very first time you launch a large traction kite. I have never used a kite in anything above 20 knts,there no point just take a 5meter sail out and enjoy.Its a local joke in my area where there is a good mix of kites and windsurfers that kiting is for those who can't windsurf.One dedicated kiter (Never been on a windsurfer) says he's going to buy a small 85 litre wave board and a couple of small sails when he sees one on e bay,cos he says he will just get on the board and sail out to sea,cos it can't be that hard.We all said please,please,please tell us when so we can all come down and watch you sail out to sea ,gybe(Whats that he said) come back in and ride a few waves. Be the best laugh of the century
kennatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 04:58 PM   #28
Farlo

Then the guy may be definitely lost for windsurf. You'd rather give him a try with some used gear and good advices. Personally I started on a short board and 5.2 mē in a solid F4/5. It was so much fun and faster than beginner's gear in F2 that I immediately felt into it. If the guy has enough fit and feeling for kite, why not convert him? We may discover WS is not that difficult, after all...

Last edited by Farlo; 21st January 2010 at 03:44 PM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 07:23 PM   #29
Unregistered

Default Windsurfing is a sport

Interesting, civilised thread guys.

Back to the original question: I have observed that kiters do not break a sweat. I don't say that meanly, just an observation. Unless taken to the extreme, it's an activity.

I'm into sports and health. Windsurfer is a real sport. I often sail no harness, a good outing works me up to 150+ heart rate in very few minutes. That's why I do it.

When the wind is light (<14 knots say), I dig up old board+ big sail and freestyle around, which is just as hard on endurance.

When I'd too old and broken for my current sport, and the day is coming soon it seems, then I'll consider kiting, alongside lawnbowling, big boat sailing, and chess. No offense anyone.

IMO.
Old 21st January 2010, 03:43 PM   #30
Unregistered

Default John I

Great thread. Kiting on waves, from what I've watched, seems quite disconnected compared to surfing or windsurfing them. Heard people that do both say the same.

I've been doing long board wave sailing for years. Go out in stuff that's way too light for kites. So much for windsurfing has been canceled, right? The mind set that wave sailing is for small gear only partially helped reduce our sport. Wife and kid syndrome did too. As did nintendo, overwork, and far too many other distractions.

On the spectrum of water activities from the standpoint of strenuousness: cruise ships to water polo. Windsurfing is tending toward polo, and kiting to cruise ships. I don't have time nor inclination to spend more of my days off getting fat. Shoot, this SUP thing is pretty insane at the moment. I sailed in 0-6 mph foggy 12 foot surf this past Sunday morning. What do I need a paddle for?