Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th January 2010, 09:08 AM   #11
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi BelSkorpio,

If you buy an iSonic is to get max performances, so at this time sails with cambers like Free Race and Racing sail will be better. The lenght balance will be perfect and the the extra power and stability that you get from this sails will give more confort in the tricky condition to go fast as possible. With the no cams sails of course it works but all this benefits will be not there, but more easy to handle and jibe; it's some where put Citroen 2ch engine in a Porsche. For no cam sails you will get better results on Futura boards than iSonic.

Hope this help

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 05:05 AM   #12
Haggar

Hi, I am using a i122 with a 8.4 RSS in bay conditions, and whilst this combo is quick and handles chop well, it can be tiring and you need to concentrate all the time. I have been wondering whether I should have got a Futura instead. If you want to race then I'd say just go for the iSonic, if not and in choppy conditions, then go the Futura. I thought I would race, but hav'nt really had the time or the inclination yet : )
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 01:39 AM   #13
kvda

well, I use a i125 with a RSS 8.4 on a choppy lake, and think it's great both in controll and speed. Are you sure better tuning cannot help you?
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 05:09 AM   #14
Haggar

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvda View Post
well, I use a i125 with a RSS 8.4 on a choppy lake, and think it's great both in controll and speed. Are you sure better tuning cannot help you?
Dont get me wrong, this combo handles the conditions very well. This is a place where I usually use a wave board for B&J, so even in 10 to 15 knots it is very lumpy, in fact I have found that the i122 jumps very well ; ) But if you are'nt concerned with speed, then a Futura would be better. My boards are i86, i122 and Acid86, I dont want to get a bigger wave board, so at the mo my i122 and 8.4 RSS is my 8 to 15 knts combo for any water state. I weigh 75 to 80 kgs, I usually have the 8.4 fully downhauled and I have my mast track in the centre, foot straps are in the recommended positions. I also dont sail this combo very often, maybe once every few months, so I guess my muscles never really get conditioned to the stances and positions that I sail in
Old 25th January 2010, 01:52 AM   #15
Lanee

I'm interested in Eli's comments about the iSonics pointing up into the wind. When I did a demo, it was marginal conditions. The iSonic was terrible for me in schlogging conditions , compared to my 152l Techno. Starting out was very difficult, unless I was well powered. If I wasn't, it would round up as soon as I stepped on the board. The same thing would happen when I would drop off a plane.

I'm sure it's something I can get used to, but is the Futura much different from the iSonic when in schlogging mode?
Lanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 01:54 AM   #16
Lanee

Are my above comments just the general nature of modern short and wide boards?
Old 25th January 2010, 09:14 PM   #17
John1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanee View Post
Are my above comments just the general nature of modern short and wide boards?

Hi. I have sailed the Futura 111 last summer. Its very different compared to the isonic refered to your questions above. It is very easy to "start" and in choppy waves you can be as quick as rhe iSonic because of a better control.

with regards,
JJ
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 12:09 AM   #18
Lanee

The most frustrating thing was how the thing rounded up when dropping off a plane in marginal conditions. That big ol' Techno seemed to track fairly straight as it went through the process of dropping off a plane. This gave me room to quickly tilt the rig back to get out of the harness. The Star-Board slalom board I rode a few years ago would round up so fast that I couldn't get out of the harness. Then, I'd fall, and be stuck trying to waterstart in real light wind. So the Futura IS much different in this respect?
Old 26th January 2010, 01:46 AM   #19
Ken

Lanee,

I haven't been on a variety of new, short wide boards, but I do think the rounding up is the nature of these boards.

I was out yesterday on my iS 111 with a 6.6 and hit some big holes where the board came off plane quickly. You just have to be ready to pull both feet from the straps (back foot first) quickly before you lose too much speed, particularly the front foot which has to be placed near the mast foot to keep the nose from rounding up.

It just takes a little time to get used to the process, but I think the advantages of the short wide boards out weight the rounding up issue. I agree that the slogging is a pain the a##.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 07:14 AM   #20
Haggar

As Ken has said, with the modern shorter boards you need to put one foot up close to the mast base when its off the plane, if you do this you can sail quite OK if you get caught out and the wind drops