Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st February 2010, 10:00 PM   #11
mike

I say the following only to ensure you've condsidered all options. As I'm not a heavy weight, my comment above re formula is based on observation, not personal experience. I've seen poeple shlogging when they could have been planning. I would definitely say no to the full on formula due to price & the fragile nature of the boards. Though I understand the formula EXPERIENCE is cheaper & stronger. Depending on your current skill level, I expect that the futura & GO would be easier to develop your skills on due to the option to have more inboard footstraps ie. if you are not currently planning in footstraps, these boards will be easier to learn on. Having said all the above, I would have to defer to another heavy weight & the ability of a Future or GO to consistently plane & go fast in 11-12 knots.

BTW you comment about the size of the boards - all these new boards are very wide & therefore stable when moving slow vs older long but narrow boards.

Regarding on-line: I've done both. I've always tried to first go local though it seems on average to cost more. If the local dealer can't come close in price, I go on-line. Some online give good customer service and have been around for perhaps as long as local. I've been lucky & have had few problems. Make sure you fullyinspect any gear before accepting it from the courrier.

Last edited by mike; 2nd February 2010 at 09:39 AM.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:03 AM   #12
carvesalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_windsurfer View Post

you buy your first board like a car - go back many times - touch it , smell it , feel it :-)

just my 2 "sense"
are you talkin' about a board or sex ?
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:32 PM   #13
Del Carpenter

Unregistered, I think the easiest way to get the most bang for the buck is to buy something that increases your time on water (TOW). Lengthening your possible season has the best shot at increasing TOW. If your water or air gets cold enough, the most effective items to extend your season are (in effective order): a hood, wetsuit or drysuit, booties, gloves or mittens. How many times last year did you have sailable water, time and opportunity but didn't go because you didn't have good enough protection against the cold? Consider spending enough on better protection to convert about half of those opportunities to TOW.

I particularly mentioned a neoprene solution because where I live 8-15 mph is what we hope for in the summer. Our best chances for 15-25 are in the spring and fall when TOW is directly related to the quality of what we wear as protection.

Someplace in the budget or toolkit there must be a downhaul tool. You need it to properly rig the much larger sail(s) you will buy.

Someplace in the 8-15 mph range there is a wind speed where, with your largest new sail and your widest new board, you will start planing. If the wind you sail in is most often less than that wind speed, you might be most satisfied buying a large volume longboard, new or used. TOW is one issue. Planing versus cruising versus schlogging is an equally important issue. With your weight and a 180 ltr longboard for comparison I think you would notice a significant improvement in cruising speed and also in planing time with a longboard volume at or above 220 (you want more than 220). The dream boards in that case would be a Phantom 380, Phantom 320, or a Mistral Equipe.
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote