Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th February 2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default For Svein Rasmussen

Dear Svein,

first of all congratulations for your boards and for the Company you have created from scracht. i am a big fan not only of your products, but the company you have raised.

I have always followed your products, reports, interviews, everything about starboard. In many interviews you talk about your quest to make windsurf more popular, I think is a fact that windsurf industry needs more users. You have created specific boards to learn faster, to plane in 6 knots, to have fun without planning (serenity), and lately to have fun with no wind (SUP Starboard). You basically have one board for every level and windrange ...

Never thought about the price issue? Never thought of delivering the best products at the best prices in the market? Is a fact that people associate expensive with good ...

The distribution network used in the windsurf industry is way too long and is one of the factors of high final prices. Factory - Brand - Distributor - Shop - Consumer, everyone taking what? From 30% to 50% increase on their cost? VATs and duties applied and increasing again prices.

If windsurf wants more users the brands need to deliver the products at more reasonable prices.

Nowadays with logistics and internet direct delivery to consumers is posible, you can easily take one or two operators in the distribution chain.

You are a visionary, so I think you could be the first one to do it be it with Starboard or with a parallel brand ... I bet you
Old 26th February 2010, 02:41 AM   #2
nonopr

Or you can buy second hand.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 04:36 PM   #3
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonopr View Post
Or you can buy second hand.
There's some wisdom.

Unregistered, did you ever think about the fact that, excluding pro slalom racers, most people will only buy a new board once every couple of years and that maybe in order to be able to sustain itself as an industry windsurfing companies must charge higher prices in order to cover the costs of production?

I too wish that a new board wasn't 1000+ USD but that's the way it is. Nonopr is right about second hand gear, you can get fantastic deals on boards/sails just one or 2 years old which perform very closely to the most recent ones.
Old 27th February 2010, 03:14 PM   #4
insandout

In italy there are two brand (pont7 for sail and DROPS for boards) that have online store . The price is very competitive; point7 this year sell 1 race sail AC1 + mast 850,00 Euro.
I think the market has the power for change the direction of brand. Why starboard do very efficiciently boards but keep a very inefficient store?
I think the market today is mature for online trading and STARBOARD has opportunity to go ahead with this new trading for a good ratio PRICE/QUALITY. I remember that till last year the Starboard was very aggressive price ( 1 board slalom + 2 fins minor price Jp slalom without fin). This year the slalom boards is much expensive (1 isonic wC 1799,00 - 1 jp carbon 1600,00) .I am sure it's time in STARBOARD for 2^ revolution.
bye
Giacomo
insandout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Gestalt

I agree with the OP 100%. Why not have online distribution and maybe people will buy new boards more often. I don't really need a 14 year old working part time to give me advice on which board to buy, plenty of information here on the internet. All the windsurfing shop and everyone else in the chain are just making things more expensive for the consumer. I prefer to buy things online and would be very happy to see Starboards sold online.
Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 10:22 PM   #6
viking

Everybody complains about too expensive boards but when a brand sells cheaper, nobody wants to buy it. Tiga disapeared with very good shapes at fair price.

Gun Sails tried to sell boards online (Copello shapes, you cannot expect better): a disaster

Starboard has a too good understanding of the windsurf marketing to sell online for sure!

Last edited by viking; 28th February 2010 at 10:32 PM.
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 12:49 AM   #7
IRL-250

Send a message via Skype™ to IRL-250

If all manufaturer's sold direct and online then windsurfing shops would become a thing of the past. What would happen if you broke something at the beach and the windsurfing shop that used to be around the corner was no longer there. You would have to wait for it to be delivered by post before you could go sailing again.

In these trying economic times we should be supporting our local windsurfing shops and buy from them rather than going online and buying there and hopefully they will still be there once the recession ends

KA Sails (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Chinook (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Vector Maui Fins (
)
Pro Motion Wetsuits (
)
Wind & Wave (
)
Curve (
)
Windsurfingfins (
)

KA Koncept 4.4, 5.0, 5.8, 6.6, 7.5, 8.3, 9.5
KA Kaos 4.2, 4.7, 5.3,
KA Kult 5.8, 6.4m

Starboard - Isonic Speed W53, Phantom 380, Quatro 85l Evil Twin Custom.
IRL-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 01:02 AM   #8
Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-250 View Post
If all manufaturer's sold direct and online then windsurfing shops would become a thing of the past. What would happen if you broke something at the beach and the windsurfing shop that used to be around the corner was no longer there. You would have to wait for it to be delivered by post before you could go sailing again.

In these trying economic times we should be supporting our local windsurfing shops and buy from them rather than going online and buying there and hopefully they will still be there once the recession ends
In these trying economic times we should be going online and buying things cheaper, and companies should be trying to get their products to the consumer as cheaply and efficiently as possible.

What would happen if you broke something at the beach? Small items you can always keep spares and shipping doesn't take long anyway.
Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 01:05 AM   #9
yankiwi

I agree with IRL-250. I also see many posts online wondering how to get new people involved in the sport. I only took up the sport 18months ago - and without a couple of local shops to visit and talk windsurfing with see lots of nice kit, I am not sure if I'd have gotten into the sport.

If possible I think windsurfing still needs a retail face to help maintain the sport. Even though some of the shops offer bad advice to unload inventory on unsuspecting rookies like I was - topic for different post.....
yankiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 05:03 PM   #10
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
I agree with the OP 100%. Why not have online distribution and maybe people will buy new boards more often. I don't really need a 14 year old working part time to give me advice on which board to buy, plenty of information here on the internet. All the windsurfing shop and everyone else in the chain are just making things more expensive for the consumer. I prefer to buy things online and would be very happy to see Starboards sold online.
Am I the "14 year old working part time" you're referring to? I too agree that one common, and complete, online distributor for Starboard products would be great. There's no question about that.