Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th April 2010, 12:05 PM   #1
agrelon

Default Overtightening mast base?

Is it possible to overtighten a mast base by hand?

I have a plastic disk, about 12cm in diameter to spread the load on mine and wanted to know, as I have to reattach mine everytime I sail, if it's possible to damage the board by tightening too much.

Has anybody had any problems from over tightening their mast base on a SB board? Thanks.
Old 8th April 2010, 02:16 PM   #2
kennatt

you will struggle to damage any board by overtightening by hand,don't think it would be possible,Tighten as hard as you can to stop it sliding about.

Last edited by kennatt; 8th April 2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
kennatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Farlo

Not the board, but it happens to overtighten the mast base and make the central screw loose. This is frustrating as it is quite hard to remove afterwards.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 03:56 PM   #4
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlo View Post
Not the board, but it happens to overtighten the mast base and make the central screw loose. This is frustrating as it is quite hard to remove afterwards.
You mean stripping the treads on the screw part of the mast base so that the screw can't grip anymore? I can imagine this happening, especially on older mast bases like mine.
Old 8th April 2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Farlo

Yes this is exactly what I mean, notably with old BIC mast bases. When this happens you can either put some glue around the screw head, or insert a few needles near the angles to grip the plastic (works only once) or give up and leave the mast base where it is, hopefully at the famous neutral position. However there is normally a rubber disk between mast base and board, making it unnecessary to overtighten.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Unregistered

I was out surfing in december. -5c 12 m/s and watertemp around 0c. Everything pretty much froze. This resulted in the metal on the mastbase shrinking and i couldn't get the mastbase off the board, i had to hammer it off with an extension. So be careful with overtightening it in low temp's.