Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 12th April 2010, 10:37 PM   #1
agrelon

Default Red Paint or Epoxy for Small Scratches Repair

Hi all,

My Futura wood has suffered 3 slight scratches underneath and the wood seems to be exposed, but not damaged (ie. just the coating has been removed). These scratches are about 15mmx1mm in size. Would red paint, somesort of oil based, suffice to protect the wood or would epoxy be necessary?

I have pictures of the damage which I can email to anyone willing to help.

Thanks,

Adrien G
Old 15th April 2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Farlo

Hi Agrelon, many products exist to repair scratches. Your dealer should normally have some. For small repairs I've been using car paste (or mastic) for years. It is easy to apply and totally waterproof. Wait a few hours then wet-sand softly to remove excess paste. Try working on the smallest possible area. The day after the paste will have shrunk a little bit. You may complete the work with small patches of nail lacker (beware of color matching).
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 02:57 PM   #3
agrelon

Hi Farlo, thanks for your input. I'll try to get my hands on some mastic asap.

I was thinking that in order to try to keep the repair job as minimalistic as possible I could border the scratches with electric tape to avoid covering areas which haven't been damage.

The last repair job I did was on a Bic, which I didn't care for as much as for my Futura. I used epoxy and then sanded it down. Only problem was the area around the patch of epoxy was obviously sanded and no longer the original colour. Wouldn't this happen on the Futura if I attempted to sand down the mastic?

Maybe by bordering the scratches as I've mentioned with electric tape and then other materials I could avoid also sanding the paint off undamaged areas....
Old 15th April 2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Farlo

Bordering the scratches will keep mastic out of clean areas. If you do it well you may not even need to sand it off. Otherwise use 600 grit wet sandpaper and rub very gently. Mastic remains soft for a few hours before hardening so you should not damage the rest of the surface.

Last edited by Farlo; 16th April 2010 at 01:04 AM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote