Old 6th May 2010, 07:26 PM   #11
ChrisN

I think that Ken has a point about Formulas planning earlier than Slalom boards - everyone confirms that! I tried to sail one, but I thought it akward - do also prefer the iS150 or the new Light Wind boards

We have had a great discussion on the drivers of "light wind planning" in another thread. Some would even recommend you to go with the SB Phantom Raceboards, which can glide with ease in light winds and can certainly sail at extreme upwind angles (given their large daggerboard). Yet there was a lot of conversation on a statement made that Raceboards are more appropriate than Formula or large Slalom Boards for light-wind conditions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
[FONT=Tahoma]....
So, let's try to be less polemic and a bit more objective about Raceboards (love your 320 though!). The German SURF magazine, compared in Aug'09 a number of boards in Lake Garda across a number of testers averaging 80 kgs utilizing specialized light-wind equipement. See the boards they tested and some of their results in the Tables attached below. [Check the difference between Formula and the medium-sized slalom Manta 79]

I very much agree with SURF's verdict on the Raceboards [my translation]:
"The classic raceboard, 3.80 meters long, with an elegant Rail shape as a shipping container... can glide from as little as 4 knots; it runs extremely well up- & downwind and it may plan early in gusts with a folded dagger.
Still, it always seems huge, one simply feels that it was neither developed as a high volume board nor as a pure glider. While for a Raceboard-Cupper it's a must, as an Allround board on the lake with occasional gusts, an alternative. Those who come from shorter planning boards, will be disappointed by the comparatively slow-acting ride & driving experience."
That last sentence reflects my sentiment too. Consequently, I think that your statement about short boards destroying the market is a bit overblown! People like FUN, and fun is heavily related into speed from which some experience an adrenaline kick and freedom. Cruising is "cool", but planning is simply more fun.
Why is iS150 called a large Slalom board? Well that's exactly what it is! Build for speed in lower winds (9-16 knots), able to carry large fins and sails - check out the picture below. See an informal test and more picts in following thread

According to Remi: "This board cannot be used in the PWA rules but it's the perfect link between Slalom and Formula. For those who don't like Formula and prefer the glide sensation of an iSonic, it's the perfect machine for light winds with a sail around 10m". See also part of the quote from MarkH's comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark h View Post
iS150: Min wind in 10m, 8/10 knots (feeling ok powered, much more powered than iS144)
Ideal wind in 10m, 10 to 15 knots, feeling powered up nicely.

Bottom-line that is a different board than a Formula and is definitely NOT planning earlier! I am currently split between iS150 and another brand's light-wind board...
ChrisN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 07:58 PM   #12
agrelon

Hmm, from this photo it doesn't look as huge as I thought it would be. I can see how the shape is somewhat a transition to formula.