Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 10th May 2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Unregistered

Red face

"How do the new longboards like Phantom 380/320 perform in really light stuff against sailboats?"
they dont ....
sailed my old F-2 lightning against sailboats on a irregular course quite a few times last summer.
When the wind was light , there was no keeping up.
When the wind got to the point where i could plane on beam reach I could more then make up the time I lost during the windward beat.
BUT these races were not a true windward leeward course. The course was around existing government buoys and there were quite a few reaching legs .

Typically the sailboats will race, three beats to windward with two downwind legs. The downwind legs being straight downwind, no reaching legs.

And its the reaching legs are where a sailboard has an advantage , again in medium to heavy winds.
Old 10th May 2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Unregistered

to add I am 90 kilos and the sail was an 8.5 neil pryde helium bagged out.

But that being said even a lightweight person with a 12 metre sail IMHO, would still not been able to keep up to the boats in the light winds i encountered of 3 to 7 knots.

Shredulato
Old 10th May 2010, 07:50 PM   #13
agrelon

Thanks for the comparison. I need to get one to shred my younger brother (#1 in Optimist league in Hong Kong) who still believes on a full course he can win in a lazer.... tut tut.
Old 11th May 2010, 01:10 AM   #14
Meric

Div II boards will make a difference against sailboats in light wind! there is a group on facebook that is very hot at reviving this class. See for yourself. Group's name is "Open Division II".
With a 10 m2 sail on a lechner (this is the board selected for the 88 and 92 olympic games) you beat any sailboat out there...
Meric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 05:26 PM   #15
Unregistered

Cool

With sailboats varying so much in performance its difficult to have any general comparison. I raced in and agianst dinghies (with WS) for years. Even when we beat them the results would come out in favour of when yardstyicks were applied.

Dinghies range from Yardsticks of around 600 (Tornado) to 1200 (ish) for a topper. This means by definition the Tornado has to be twice as quick over a course to win.
We never established any credible ratings to compete with Dinghies.

6.2 Calculation of corrected times for race results:
Corrected Time (C) = Elapsed time x 1000 / Portsmouth Number (N)

ie a Yardstick of 1000 leaves time unchanged.

VMG ?? My money is on Tornado ? (Against anything in F4)
Old 13th May 2010, 12:36 PM   #16
Unregistered

Div 2 was big in HK and the rest of the world 20 years ago.
You could well find a derelict Mistral M1, Crit D2, Lechner or Layang (made in Malaysia) rotting at the back of a dinghy club.
They would probably pay you to take it away, put a big sail on it and thrash your brother (and everybody else) !
They are an absolute pig going downwind unelss its very flat.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:40 PM   #17
agrelon

There is still a lot of raceboard sailing in HK, though I'de be completely unable to tell what type of boards they're using.

I think it's some sort of mistral one design racing class, though not sure.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:49 PM   #18
Per

In autumn I had the chance to race against a couple of Europe dinghies (very established class i Scandinavia).
Wind was around 10 to 16 knots. I was on Equipe + 10.3 sail. Upwind the dinghies pointed better than me, but I did +10 knots of speed riding the dagger, so I outraced them quite easily.
On a short course with a lot of tacking a dinghy turns quite fast and so gain an advantage.
On a reach I could keep the dagger down and manage 10 to 13 knots easily. No way they could follow me. Had I sailed my Formula 159 I would have beat them even more. The formula does 25 knots on a reach easily. With an 8.5 rig I have done 26 knots on the longboard in 20 knots of wind. No normal sailing yacht will be able to keep up.

Again in less than 10 knots of wind its a matter of waterline length and rigsize.

I've tried to race against Tornados, Hobies and tris of "normal" size in windy conditions on a reach on Formulas, freerides etc. No way they can keep up with a windsurfer.

A formula 40 cat will beat a Windsurfer though..

Sooo.. What about Serenity in 5 to 10 knots against a sailboat??

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:24 AM   #19
lance

I have an old Davidson D-2 board which is very fast upwind in light wind but because it is so narrow I can't sail it directly downwind or jibe it. I have just started sailing a Starboard K-15 and with a 70 cm formula fin it is also very fast upwind and is stable downwind. It is much faster than the keelboats I have sailed against. I may make a bigger fin more like what the D-2 board has which might be even better.

Lance
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:25 AM   #20
Unregistered

I think you'd be hard pressed to outdo a keelboat for ultimate upwind angle. Once moving big heavy keelboat can keep can chugging upwind in apparently no wind at all.

Dinghies like the laser also point very high.

Their overall vmg is also very good, especially in gusty light wind and constricted waters.

I race against a 3 man racing keelboat every summer and it's always a duel of opposites: I get passed on the upwind he gets passed on the downwind.

Catamarans point about the same as sailboards but have amazing all-points-of-sail vmg and aren't really affected by lulls.

With my current mediocre raceboard setup with a 7.5 I don't have a chance against most boats unless it's at least 10 knots.

The greatest advantage I see versus a similar sail sized dinghy (laser) is ergonomics and ease of use in 12 - 20knots and over when boat handling becomes tougher for an amatuer sailor. You lock into a raceboard and it gets more stable as it goes faster, a laser sailor is always working.

In the right conditions, kiteboard course race boards and formula boards are hard for anything to match.