Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 19th May 2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Solo

Default Futura or isonic? What volume?

i use a Formula board for low wind, and a carve 111 (2005) for winds berween 18 and 30 knots. I use sails between 4.7 and 6.8 with the carve in that range but i dont do freeride tricks, mostly like to ride long and fast, because i like it, not for competition.
I would like to buy a new board to go faster than the Carve on flat water, but at the same time cut the chopp easier (without having the nose of the board bouncing). Does it depend on the volume? I water start pretty good, and my weight is 82 kg.
Would you recomend isonic or futura, and what volume do you suggest?

Last edited by Solo; 19th May 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 04:41 PM   #2
agrelon

For 18 knots up I reckon Futura 93l would be best. That's what I use and it's really comfortable even in rough chop and jibes like a charm.

It'll certainly be much faster than your carve 111 and yet easier than an iSonic. If you get one, opt for Wood, not Technora.

Cheers.
Old 20th May 2010, 01:27 AM   #3
Duracell

Since you are already used to formula and want speed (not bump and jump) you would most likely be better served with an iSonic (you will recognize a similar locked in feeling). The bouncing nose sounds like a technique issue especially on "flat" water. Does your front foot feel too loose? I use an ST115/K86 in those conditions (flat and wicked, dito 82kg). The only argument for the furtura would be the radical conditions (here that type of wind goes from 0-40kts within seconds) making it easier (less scary) to "lock in". If you aren't sure and might even use the stock fin on the carve then get yourself 1-2 modern fins. Might be all you need.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrelon View Post
For 18 knots up I reckon Futura 93l would be best. That's what I use and it's really comfortable even in rough chop and jibes like a charm.

It'll certainly be much faster than your carve 111 and yet easier than an iSonic. If you get one, opt for Wood, not Technora.

Cheers.
Thanks for your answer AGRELON, yet i have another question for you:
Do i have to go down to 93 lts or is it good enough 101 lts in the Futura, taking in account that the sails it uses matches the ones i use? 4.5 to 7.5 includes all of them because the place i windsurf when it's more than 30-35 knots we have a sand storm and its not really good for sailing.

Solo
Old 20th May 2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Solo

Thanks DURACELL, it's a different view. There is a small misunderstanding, when i mentioned the bumpy nose was in choppy water, not really flat. In this case (flat) i need more speed, but in choppy water i loose the stance because the board moves so much.
Maybe part of it is a technique issue, but could it be also improved with another board?
Also, in the case of the Carve which fins do you recomend?

Solo
Old 20th May 2010, 01:17 PM   #6
COACHG

Solo,
My weight is 80 kg and I have both the Futura 93 & Isonic 101. Given your weight & sail ranges of 4.7-6.8 I would also suggest the Futura 93. The Futura 101 would be a chore with the 4.7 and if you chose an Isonic it would have to be smaller then the 101 and I'm not sure you would want to go that route in choppy conditions. Understand that my recommendations is based on where I sail because there is no way you would catch me on a Carve 111 with a sail smaller then 5.5.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 08:08 PM   #7
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACHG View Post
Solo,
My weight is 80 kg and I have both the Futura 93 & Isonic 101. Given your weight & sail ranges of 4.7-6.8 I would also suggest the Futura 93. The Futura 101 would be a chore with the 4.7 and if you chose an Isonic it would have to be smaller then the 101 and I'm not sure you would want to go that route in choppy conditions. Understand that my recommendations is based on where I sail because there is no way you would catch me on a Carve 111 with a sail smaller then 5.5.

Coachg
Yeh definitely if you want to get the most out of the big days (>30knts) go for the 93l over the 101l anytime. The 93l already feels quite big for 93ls.

Cheers.
Old 21st May 2010, 03:31 AM   #8
Solo

COACHG and AGRELON:
I look forward to try the Futura 93 as soon as i can (i will buy from Guillermo Guglielmino, Starboard dealer). I live in Peru and sail in Paracas bay. It's a paradise for windsurfing, sailing, biking, kiting, kayaking, skying and much more.
Hope you can try it sometime.
Since i'm not an expert (don't complete most jibes), do you think wood is the best option?
Aren't they really fragile?
Solo
Old 21st May 2010, 07:42 PM   #9
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
COACHG and AGRELON:
I look forward to try the Futura 93 as soon as i can (i will buy from Guillermo Guglielmino, Starboard dealer). I live in Peru and sail in Paracas bay. It's a paradise for windsurfing, sailing, biking, kiting, kayaking, skying and much more.
Hope you can try it sometime.
Since i'm not an expert (don't complete most jibes), do you think wood is the best option?
Aren't they really fragile?
Solo
The finish is fragile... I scratched the underneath of mine when I placed it on cement for fresh water rinsing. Make sure you always lay it down on grass, sand or a board bag or else the finish underneath will get sratched.

I don't complete most of my jibes planing either for the moment, and the other day the mast came crashing down on the front of the board as I crashed, with no damage. The good thing with the low volume in the nose is that when the mast falls on it it can sink into the water to absorb the impact.

You'll appreciate having Wood over Technora in the long run, just remember to treat your board right. Cheers and do give us your first impressions, I know mine were memorable.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Solo

Once i made a small hole in my formula board (wood) just by stepping strong on the side with the heel because i was trying to balance the board and slow down after almost falling down. (Starboard Appolo 2008).
I will follow your advise though, and buy the wood option for the Futura, since its a different case. It will probably take some time before it arrives to Peru, but i will keep you posted!!
If you need any information about Peru beaches, don't hesitate to ask if you ever make a trip here.
Take care,
Solo