Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 4th June 2010, 03:12 AM   #1
emil

Question Starboard similar to JP super light wind 154 ??

I was reading about the new JP super light wind 154 board and it looks a fantastic idea.
Is there a board produced by starboard similar to this Jp or at least any plan to have one for next year?

Thanks
emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 06:24 AM   #2
mark h

Yep, if you've got a spare hour or so take a read

http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8687

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 10:43 PM   #3
ChrisN

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post
I was reading about the new JP super light wind 154 board and it looks a fantastic idea.
Is there a board produced by starboard similar to this Jp or at least any plan to have one for next year?

Thanks
I am really looking forward to hear what SB's team will say here! Yet, don't raise your expectations; they will answer this most probably in August

As Mark highlighted, we have been discussing this board in detail in the other thread! The closest board from SB's massive board-range should be the iSonic 150, which most mean, it is an elder slalom design that planes probably(!) later than the SLW, yet might have a higher top-end speed. So in many aspects it seems that the JP SLW is pretty much on it's own in the market as it is nothing like course/formula boards which seem all pretty unforgiving and ** to gybe, while planning earlier than xxl Freeride boards (e.g. Futura 155). Comparing with SB it seems that SLW is a concept somewhere in between the iS150, Futura 155 and the GO.

However, all of this is mere speculation as we have not seen any side-by-side test of these boards. I/we have found individual tests at:
  • JP's Super Light Wind was preview tested by PlanceMag from May'10; A more comprehensive test was made by Rik - see at his site. If you want to download the vid rather than watching on the page (it take 3 times as long) here's the link...
  • iS150: the only preview test I have found so far was from a french forum reader! See also the picts.

From a construction perspective nearly everyone has been recommending a Carbon-based construction for a board of that volume and width. Just like SB's new Formula boards, a Carbon-construction as been discussed as more durable, light in the feet, and "earlier planning" (according to SB themselves, yet they never really confirmed - see another massive discussion in thread)!
ALAS, the iSonic 150 is only available in Wood/Tufskin, therefore I am also VERY interested whether SB will release a Light Wind blaster in comparable construction as the JP SLW Pro. JP's GOLD is unparalleled by current SB construction (unless someone from SB can counter that).

I am waiting for a test from the German SURF to be available in less than 14 days, then I'll decide between the 2...

Regards
Chris
ChrisN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 06:59 PM   #4
emil

A very nice report the one made by Rik (should be an example how to explain and introduce a board).
And it's what I was expecting. It's an amazing idea especially because the board is going to work with a 7.5 or 8.5 m light wind sail like the NP Helium (is there a similar sail made by Severne???).
The main reason is planing not top speed and this kind of board is looking great in this job.
More info are very welcome.

Regards
Emil
emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Emil,

How, this sail exist long time before NP and his name is Glide, by the way still the winning sail in this category in mqgqzine test include the NP since some years

http://www.severnesails.com/2010/sails/glide/index.html

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 11:44 AM   #6
ChrisN

Remi is there a compareable board from SB for 2011. In other words, shall we wait for a 2011 SB Super Light Wind board instead of buying the JP?

R. Chris
Reg. Chris
Old 16th June 2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi ChrisN,

Very funny to heard this, just to remind you that we work on this segment since many years and have this board for very long time

Free Formula
F-Type
isonic

And of course as each year we come with all new shape for the iSonic

Very glad that people start to open their mind

By the way I am very inerest to see the Magazine test of the Jp against our isonic 150 2010

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I am really looking forward to hear what SB's team will say here! Yet, don't raise your expectations; they will answer this most probably in August

As Mark highlighted, we have been discussing this board in detail in the other thread! The closest board from SB's massive board-range should be the iSonic 150, which most mean, it is an elder slalom design that planes probably(!) later than the SLW, yet might have a higher top-end speed. So in many aspects it seems that the JP SLW is pretty much on it's own in the market as it is nothing like course/formula boards which seem all pretty unforgiving and ** to gybe, while planning earlier than xxl Freeride boards (e.g. Futura 155). Comparing with SB it seems that SLW is a concept somewhere in between the iS150, Futura 155 and the GO.

However, all of this is mere speculation as we have not seen any side-by-side test of these boards. I/we have found individual tests at:
  • JP's Super Light Wind was preview tested by PlanceMag from May'10; A more comprehensive test was made by Rik - see at his site. If you want to download the vid rather than watching on the page (it take 3 times as long) here's the link...
  • iS150: the only preview test I have found so far was from a french forum reader! See also the picts.

From a construction perspective nearly everyone has been recommending a Carbon-based construction for a board of that volume and width. Just like SB's new Formula boards, a Carbon-construction as been discussed as more durable, light in the feet, and "earlier planning" (according to SB themselves, yet they never really confirmed - see another massive discussion in thread)!
ALAS, the iSonic 150 is only available in Wood/Tufskin, therefore I am also VERY interested whether SB will release a Light Wind blaster in comparable construction as the JP SLW Pro. JP's GOLD is unparalleled by current SB construction (unless someone from SB can counter that).

I am waiting for a test from the German SURF to be available in less than 14 days, then I'll decide between the 2...

Regards
Chris
Load of dribble mate. I agree with Remi, SB have been making light wind blasters for years. If you cant get an I150/I131 to go past the JP 154 (free formula), then go get some lessons! Sick of reading your diatribe to get to the good bits of the forum. Suggest you and Agrelon just email each other instead.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 11:04 PM   #9
Ken

Maximus,

Come on, give ChrisN a break. He has tried to get Starboard to comment on the advantages of using carbon in their boards, but they won't respond.

I speculate that the reason for not responding is that for the majority of the sailors out there, carbon vs wood construction in their iSonic boards makes little difference in performance for the extra cost.

PWA slalom racers can take advantage of the stiffer/lighter boards, but for the average advanced sailor, the carbon boards could actually be a disadvantage, possibly offering a rougher less controllable ride.

ChrisN is hung up between the iS 150 and the JP, simply because the JP is carbon and the 150 isn't. He is interested in early planing and feels that the JP will plane earlier, but likes the 150's slalom capabilities better. What to do, What to do? He is wishing that Starboard will make the 150 in carbon and then he will have an easy decision.

Personally, I think he should go with the wood 150 and forget the carbon issue. Once planing, I think the 150 will be the better board.

I have an 08 iS 111 and don't think that a stiffer and slightly lighter board (carbon) would be an advantage for me. For me at 78kg, keeping the board in the water with a 7.6 in 20 knots is a handful as it is. In my opinion, a carbon model would not help with control over the wood model. Dunkerbeck - yes. Me - no.

If you don't like all the dialogue from ChrisN, don't read it. I think for many of visitors to this forum, the discussion has been informative and entertaining, but that is just my opinion.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 04:20 AM   #10
ChrisN

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Load of dribble mate. I agree with Remi, SB have been making light wind blasters for years. If you cant get an I150/I131 to go past the JP 154 (free formula), then go get some lessons! Sick of reading your diatribe to get to the good bits of the forum. Suggest you and Agrelon just email each other instead.
Ken, thanks for the your insightful explanation, yet I need to add to it.

It seemed such a simple question – Emil and I asked SB whether they would create another board comparable to SLW in 2011? I know about the IS and Formulas already! iS150 is NOT the same type of board as SLW…

So, Maximus, apologies for all the "dribble". As Ken mentioned, please don’t minimize the conversation, just turn the page! I will indeed love some "early planning" clinic on Formulas w. 12 m2 sails on gusty 5-9 knots somewhere hot - any recommendations?

On the "diatribe", some(/most) of us are less knowledgeable than others. After decades of waveboard fetishism, I had a load of questions on light-wind XXL Slalom/ Freeride blasters that evolved into "early planning" on NON FORMULA boards. Not ALL want to sail on a specialized, unstable slogger, short race-board as a recreational board (Why? See Riks comments)…

To my surprise I received a lot of educated responses, mind you from non-Team members! I, as well as others, learned & appreciated the answers on many points – from Formula light-wind bliss, to Carbon<>Wood construction (even if there is still a LOT of disagreement – just see Duracell’s animated response). Surely, it was probably too cerebral, yet we enthused on light wind performance parameters, and I certainly learned to read the table of widths more carefully – thus OFO might make SLW an earlier planner than the iS150!

On stealing the forum's "good bits", you are probably right, we should create a separate Forum for SB Consumers with Comparative or other ACID questions to the innovation gurus of SB! Beyond Agrelon we should then drive out Ken, MarkH, BelScorpio, Duracell, Davide, DejaVu, among the many contributors for messing up your concise, binary world.

Actually, If everything was so damn straightforward as you imply, then we would not need a Forum - we could just read the instruction manual. Probably given commercial considerations (or Carbon allergy?), SB didn’t provide any answers!

That said, I've been windsurfing since 1978, and I am still learning as this sport is still a lot of ART rather than science - can U spell FINS? So share your insights not your nihilism…

Hang Loose – I am going out on my HyperSonic 105 (what a board!)…

Chris