Old 7th December 2006, 03:31 PM   #1
surfsteve

Default EVO 83 or 91

Hi,

for the new season I'm planning to buy an EVO 83 or 91 as my standard wave board. The problem is I'm still doubting which one to buy. These days I'm sailing an old F2 wave 85L of 2002. With my waight of 91 kg this board is ok when the conditions get above 21 knots. Below it feels like it'll never gonna plane.
I mostly gonna use the board in the following conditions:
- sailsizes 4.7, 5.4, 5.8
- wind 18 till 30 knots
- mostly dutch north sea conditions (crumbly wave of 1,5 till 2,5m)

For the next year I prefer to use one board in all conditions. The problem is that I think the 91 really gets to big if I want to use it in 4.7 conditions with 25-30kn of wind. So my main question for the 91 is: Can I handle the heavier wind condition with this board? (looking at my weight)
The 83 looks to small for me when it comes to light wind conditions. I'm not sure of this because the concept of the board differs a lot with the 85 F2 wave I'm using now. So my main question for the 83 is: Am I not to heavy to use this board in light wind conditions? (18kn, 5.8)

It would be really nice to get some advice at this point. Thank you very much.

Greetings, Stefan van der Putten
surfsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Default RE: EVO 83 or 91

Hi There,

I am 73kg and always use the Evo 83 when I go wave sailing my sail sizes are from 5.0 down to 4,5 here on the island of bonaire we usually get wind 15-30 knots and the evo 83 it's perfect for me.

Sooo since you are 91kg my opinion is go with the evo 91 you will have a blast when the wind is low to mediun and when you use a smaller sail you won't feel a big diffrent. because the board still feels good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 12:52 AM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

While I'm much ligher myself, I still belive the E83 is useable with a 5.8 in 18 knots at 91 kilos. It will definitely be a low volume solution and you will notice this at standstill for sure. But once going (even below planing) and especially on a wave, you will notice the E83 is very, very efficient. The E91 will surely be a far better board for 5.8 conditions, but it will also be harder to handle and feel less natural once you're powered up.

But as an all round wave board, I think the E83 will be it. I think it will blow you away in powered up 5.4 and in 4,7 conditions and handle the 5.8 noticeable better than the F2, I think. If you're sailing lots of 18-20 knot sailing and are willing to make performance in these conditions a big priority, the 91 is it. Even at my sub 70 kilos its possible to handle with a 5.0 so I don't think you will have too much aof a hard time of it with a 4.7.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Dolf

I weigh 83 kg and although my Evo 92 is my most used board, I prefer my 5.8 on my Evo 80. So I agree with Ola that for your specifications I would go with the E83
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Doby

A lot of the small guys don??t seem to realise how it is to weigh +90kg. I??m 92 kg and would definitly go for the 91 as a one board solution. I use a 91 liter 60 wide board from 4.2 to 6.2. I think it??s better to go for a bigger board and then use a smaller sail. IF you choose the 83 you will have to use the 5.8 a lot of times when you could go sailing with a 5.3 and the 91. It??s more fun to ride waves with a smaller sail.
Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 11:23 PM   #6
Dolf

Hi Doby,
With my 83kg and history of arguing with the "small guys" I am finding it different to be lumped in with them. I do agree with your point that with someone who is heavier needs to go with a larger sail as I am typically 1 - 2 meters bigger than my friends; however I think that your point on more fun to ride the waves with a smaller sail is preference. I would prefer the 5.8 on my E80 then my 5.3 on my E92 as I find that set up more manoeuvrable and fun. But then I sail my 9.0 Superfreak with my Aero 117 in the waves when others are raving about their small sails on the new Maui longboard revolution. So if we all give our perspective perhaps everyone can go with their preference.
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 01:22 AM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

Doby: good you're setting us light weights straight. But seriously, many 90+ sailors do use the EVO 83 and many use the 91. It's a matter of how you want to compromise, and that depends on style, skill, conditions etc and its very hard to say which boards is THE ONE.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 02:55 AM   #8
steveC

I couldn't resist commenting on the weight thing. About 2 1/2 years ago I was up at about 88kg, but currently I'm weighing in around 70kg. Despite the significant variance, things really aren't that all that different for me now. I still pretty much use the same sail sizes for the conditions, but I should point out that I've always preferred using somewhat larger sails than many. The thing I do notice though is that I can get away with a little less board volume when the conditions are up and down

However, in the real world, I do realize that the real big guys over 100kg really do have to size everything up, particularly board volume, otherwise they're suffering big time if the wind lightens. Given a focus on wave sailing, especially in the best conditions where lighter wind usually offers the cleanest shape, I think bigger guys need to target a bit more board volume to get the most versatility. This becomes even more important in onshore type conditions where getting out makes things a bit tougher. The good thing about many of todays wave boards is that the manufacturers are now making real wave boards that offer sufficient volume for bigger sailors.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote