Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 31st July 2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio k View Post
Hypersonic was not an early planning board, and I-131 ( and last year's i-133) was exceptional in performance and early planning, I would recommend 50-52cm after market fin.
Short/wide board like I-131 will respond better to active sailing style (pumping, riding the fin),
if you don't like it, pick something longer, narrower like Futura or Lorch , I-121 as some other post recommended.
Looks like if I don't want to pump too much, I will be better off with longer and narrower boards. Is iSonic 121 enough for planing with 8.5 in 10mph-12mph too? Does wood carbon boards make a lot of diffence in early planing compared to all wood boards? Your comments are appreciated very much!
Old 31st July 2010, 11:23 AM   #12
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
The German Surf Magazin tested "light wind planing boards" in their latest issue: JP Super Lightwind, *board iSonic 150, Futura 155, Lorch Bird 149 and 179.

The conclusion was that the best board for effortless lightwind planing, in combination with spirited performance, was the Lorch Bird 149 at 74 cm wide and 261 long. The lesser width was compensated by a longer drawn out rocker line (compared to the 238 of the JP, and teh even shorter Starboards).

That is, the bird was more efficient than the JP at 90 cm width, and in particular than the iSonic 150 at 93 cm width! However, the iSonic was faster as it is a pure slalom board rather than an early planing machine (more suitable for those who like to pump).

Thus, weight is important for early planing, but length even more so...

If you still go down the iSonic route I think that you don't need to go any bigger than 121 at your weight.
How did Futura 155 do in this comparison? I don't know that much about Futura, but is it considered equally fast early planing jibing machine in light wind or is it more of a recreational freeride board compared to the other boards you have listed? Thanks for your imput!
Old 31st July 2010, 11:47 PM   #13
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Looks like if I don't want to pump too much, I will be better off with longer and narrower boards. Is iSonic 121 enough for planing with 8.5 in 10mph-12mph too? Does wood carbon boards make a lot of diffence in early planing compared to all wood boards? Your comments are appreciated very much!
10-12 mph should be no problem with 121+8.5 sail unless you extremely inefficient, I think, lighter and specially stiffer boards again favor aggresive sailing style, with more passive technique(minimal pumping)
you will not see much diff..
Old 1st August 2010, 12:44 AM   #14
Unregistered

Quote:
10-12 mph should be no problem with 121+8.5 sail unless you extremely inefficient, I think, lighter and specially stiffer boards again favor aggresive sailing style, with more passive technique(minimal pumping)
you will not see much diff..
Thanks for your input! I was sailing a couple of days ago with my Hypersonic 125 with 8.5 in subplaning condition for other sailors, but with my usual pumping galore, I have managed to plane quite often. I have to suffer again from joint pain in my previously injured right elbow though! I'm so tempted to pump at smallest of gusts to maximize my planing. May be that's my problem! Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:06 AM   #15
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for your input! I was sailing a couple of days ago with my Hypersonic 125 with 8.5 in subplaning condition for other sailors, but with my usual pumping galore, I have managed to plane quite often. I have to suffer again from joint pain in my previously injured right elbow though! I'm so tempted to pump at smallest of gusts to maximize my planing. May be that's my problem! Thanks again for your suggestions.
My understanding so far is that iSsonic 131 is much more efficinet in early palning than my Hypersonic 125, but will iSonic 121 be yet much earlier planing than my Hypersonic 125 too? Your input is greatly appreciated!
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:08 AM   #16
sergio k

Quote:
My understanding so far is that iSsonic 131 is much more efficient in early palning than my Hypersonic 125, but will iSonic 121 be yet much earlier planing than my Hypersonic 125 too? Your input is greatly appreciated!
'Much' is a relative term, I think I131 in wood carbon with a proper fin would be an ultimate light wind
machine for 8.5 sail, I121 would still work well comparing to hypersonic, cleaner bottom with sharper rail
will create better release to plain yearly. That deep double in hypersonic made it sticky to be an early plainer...
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:28 PM   #17
PG

According to the German Surf the Futura 155 in WC planned earlier (easier, without pumping) than the iSonic 150 (and the Manta FR 85). I get the impression that the F155 is about equal with the JP in early planing. But the Lorch Birds are slightly better...

The F155 also gets praise for ease of riding and jibing.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:00 AM   #18
Unregistered

Quote:
'Much' is a relative term, I think I131 in wood carbon with a proper fin would be an ultimate light wind
machine for 8.5 sail, I121 would still work well comparing to hypersonic, cleaner bottom with sharper rail
will create better release to plain yearly. That deep double in hypersonic made it sticky to be an early plainer...
Thanks for clarifying it!
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:03 AM   #19
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
According to the German Surf the Futura 155 in WC planned earlier (easier, without pumping) than the iSonic 150 (and the Manta FR 85). I get the impression that the F155 is about equal with the JP in early planing. But the Lorch Birds are slightly better...

The F155 also gets praise for ease of riding and jibing.
Thanks again for your comments and information!
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:32 PM   #20
mark h

Hi PG, would interesting hear what they said about the iS150.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote