Old 25th September 2010, 02:57 AM   #1
keyes1

Default Light wind sail?

I'm an advancing beginner weighing 185 lbs currently using a 6.5m sailworks retro on a go 144. I'm looking for a bigger sail to get planing on calmer days and I'm debating between an ezzy zephyr and either a neilpryde helium or H2 (7.7m or 8.2m). One restriction in my choice of a bigger sail is that I really want the new sail to fit on my 460 powerex z-race mast (100% carbon imcs 25). The zephyr's definitely have a more appealing price tag, but is it worth an extra $400 (or maybe waiting around more to find a better deal) to get one of the neil pryde sails?? I want something that will give me the biggest range of wind along with my 6.5 retro and also something I won't outgrow when my skills advance. Not too sure about the reputation and performance of these 2 companies. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Should I pay the extra for NP or will the zephyr do about the same job?

Thanks in advance!
keyes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 04:40 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Keyes 1,
If you are buying new, why change brands.
What about an 8.0 m2 Sailworks Retro.
You already know how to rig and tune your 6.5 m2 Retro so an 8.0 m2 Retro would be very easy to transition up to.
You would need a 490 cm mast, but if you ever intend to go to bigger sails (and it sounds like you are ready now) you will need the longer mast.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Unregistered

Roger is right on the 490 mast.
If you are looking for a light wind sail, do not restrict your choice by your 460 mast.
You may want to check the mast curve of your powerex to see if it is compatible with the NP sail you are considering. Most NP sails don't rig well on other brands' masts.
However, $400 more for a NP sail? NP sails are overpriced ! Use the money for another mast.
Old 25th September 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Keyes,

You have another choice also with the Severne Glide who win all the magazine test since some years already that you can choose in 7.5 or 8.5

http://www.severnesails.com/2010/sails/glide/index.html

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 01:32 AM   #5
PG

A safe bet for your Powerex mast would be a Simmer sail. A 2XC 7.8 would be a good fit, As would a VMax 7.9. Both are designed on 460 masts.
Your Powerex mast is likely to be too stiff in the top (i.e. too average in bend curve) to fit a Neil pryde sail well. The Ezzy might be a better fit.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 07:24 AM   #6
keyes1

Thanks to everyone for the replies...I really appreciate the help. I've had quite a hard time finding bend curve information for my mast which makes the situation even more uncertain for a beginner like myself. Not sure if there's any way to get a definitive answer (maybe contacting the manufacturer or posting a photo somewhere)? The mast was also used and much of the label was unfortunately worn off which makes it tricky to track down more information (plus I'm still not overly familiar with all the good windsurfing resources available out there).

I do tend to agree that the neilpryde sails seem overpriced but I really liked the idea of being able to fit a relatively big, powerful sail on a small mast and maintain a small yet versatile sail quiver. I also don't really forsee myself buying more big sails (8.5m or more) anytime soon. I usually wait for the wind to pick up quite a bit before going out. For the mostpart I've been quite happy with the 6.5 retro, but some days it's just not quite enough and I want something that can still push a little more on the moderately windy days.

I also like the idea of trying something different (brand, cams, etc.) to become more familiar with the options that are out there and how the differences change feel. I'll look into the other models everyone has mentioned.

Any more suggestions or ideas would be great! Anyone think it might help if I posted a photo of my mast?

Thanks again.
Old 27th September 2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Farlo

If your not afraid of cambers, North Sails S-type 7.8 rigs on a 460 mast. Bend curve is more conventional than NP sails. According to test mags it is quite powerful yet easy to handle. Naish Grand Prix 7.8 also rigs on 4.60 but is a bit more race oriented (and probably more sensitive to mast & tuning).
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 07:19 PM   #8
PG

Your Powerex mast has a bend curve of about 12% - 12.5%. I have and have had several Powerex masts, and they tend to be pretty consistent. Pick among Simmer, Gun Sails, Sailloft, Sailworks (Goya?) and you should be safe. North Sails may work as well.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 02:25 AM   #9
keyes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlo View Post
If your not afraid of cambers...
Should I be?
Old 28th September 2010, 02:44 PM   #10
arild

Hi there.
I`ve been using (new) camered 8.5 - 8.3 the last 4 years as my big (lightwind) sails.
This year I got myself a 7.5 Ezzy Freeride 4 and it`s really very good!
I sold my cambered 8`s and the 7.5 is now my biggest sail. (135 liter board)
If you send a request to Ezzy about your mast you`ll get a very quick reply.
By the way, my 7.5 is on a 460!
good luck.
br arild
arild is offline   Reply With Quote