Old 12th October 2010, 05:12 AM   #1
buddha

Default Total Beginner: Help!

I went yesterday in San Diego in Mission Bay. I joined the San Diego Windsurfing Association (SDWA). They have a few rental boards available for use and they are the START and the GO. I tried the start with a 3.5 sail. It worked ok but hard to sail upwind at all. The best I could do was about 90 degrees into the wind.

What is the difference in the GO board? I was thinking of taking out the START with the 5.5 sail or just try out the GO board.

What is the normal progression with the beginner boards.

San Diego doesn't have big winds such as San Francisco so maybe that is good for a beginner but bad for a higher intermediate or advance level.

Actually I want to go to Mexico and windsurf when I acquire the skills to do so.

Any help is appreciated.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Buddha,
San Diego is a great place to sail.
Did you sail out by the USC sailing piers.... or back by the Hilton Hotel?
As far as the difference between a Start board and a Go board, the 01-03 Starts came with a removable
center fin.... did the Start you used have a center fin?
The later Start boards had a retractable centerboard.... if you used this style Start ('04-'11) did you put the centerboard down?
The Go boards (all years) have no provision for a center fin, but many of them have 3 screw holes in the rails so you can attach the Starbilizer side fins to act in the same way as a centerfin or centerboard.
Where did you place the mast foot on the Start you sailed.
If you put the mast foot at all forward (from the back of the mast slot) it will be difficult if not impossible to
sail upwind with a 3.5 m2 rig.
Did you take a lesson or just figure it out on your own?
The larger 5.5 m2 rig will help (not sure how much you weigh or how big you are) but keep the mast foot all the way back in the track and use the center fin or centerboard and you will be able to sail at least 45 deg. off the true wind and maybe a bit higher.
If you have no centerfin, or if you decide to use the Go board, then you will need to stand (put your weight) slightly off center on the upwind side of the board so the rocker line tips a bit and the board will sail upwind. You must balance the upwind tendancy of the board by keeping your rig more upright (do tilt it back at all and maybe just a little forward of vertical).
Otherwise the board will turn upwind too fast and stall.
As soon as you develop some skills, there are plenty of places to sail in So. Calif. near San Diego (I used to live there) but you will need a wide board and big sails unless you go to Lake Isabella, Cabrillo Beach, or some other spots with more wind.
Mexico is good, but you really need to develop your skills before heading down there.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 10:34 AM   #3
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hi Buddha,
San Diego is a great place to sail.
Did you sail out by the USC sailing piers.... or back by the Hilton Hotel?
As far as the difference between a Start board and a Go board, the 01-03 Starts came with a removable
center fin.... did the Start you used have a center fin?
The later Start boards had a retractable centerboard.... if you used this style Start ('04-'11) did you put the centerboard down?
The Go boards (all years) have no provision for a center fin, but many of them have 3 screw holes in the rails so you can attach the Starbilizer side fins to act in the same way as a centerfin or centerboard.
Where did you place the mast foot on the Start you sailed.
If you put the mast foot at all forward (from the back of the mast slot) it will be difficult if not impossible to
sail upwind with a 3.5 m2 rig.
Did you take a lesson or just figure it out on your own?
The larger 5.5 m2 rig will help (not sure how much you weigh or how big you are) but keep the mast foot all the way back in the track and use the center fin or centerboard and you will be able to sail at least 45 deg. off the true wind and maybe a bit higher.
If you have no centerfin, or if you decide to use the Go board, then you will need to stand (put your weight) slightly off center on the upwind side of the board so the rocker line tips a bit and the board will sail upwind. You must balance the upwind tendancy of the board by keeping your rig more upright (do tilt it back at all and maybe just a little forward of vertical).
Otherwise the board will turn upwind too fast and stall.
As soon as you develop some skills, there are plenty of places to sail in So. Calif. near San Diego (I used to live there) but you will need a wide board and big sails unless you go to Lake Isabella, Cabrillo Beach, or some other spots with more wind.
Mexico is good, but you really need to develop your skills before heading down there.
Hope this helps,
Roger
I went by the Hilton but in the lagoon not in the open.
Next time I will go by the peninsula.
The START that I used had a centerboard.
The club also has a GO board 180 that I can rent.
I put the mast just about in the center maybe slightly forward.
I weigh 180 lbs.
I tried windsurfing a few times about 25 years ago but forgot a lot of things.
I learned from watching a tutorial by Beth on the USwindsurfing.org website. I watched it many times before I went out.

So other than no centerboard what is the real difference between the GO and the START boards? How about the RIO?

Since I can rent the two boards so cheaply and I am a beginner it is probably best to rent for awhile anyway.

Thanks for your help.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote