Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 28th September 2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Farlo

You mention trying something different (brand, cams, etc.) so I guess you should know a few tips. Cam sails are more difficult to rig. Some require enormous downhaul tension. Before buying one just rig it in the shop with your own mast, base, extension, etc. Uphauling should not be a problem as 8 sqm is still reasonable. Main pro's are extended wind range, higher speed and better glide. IMHO this is mostly valid for big sizes, if you are not racing.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 05:28 PM   #12
BelSkorpio

Hi Keyes1,

I've sailed the NP H2 sails a lot this year in Rhodos. They are very good, very light and very early planing sails.
Very smooth camber rotation, you hardly notice they are there.
They also need very short masts. With a 460 mast you can go up to sail size 8.2m2 !
This is all exactly what you want, I think.

BUT, they also need masts (like most NP sails) with a lot of flex top. That's where your mast probably does not score well. And yes, there is also the price ... What can I say ...

You can always go to the shop and take your mast with you. Just try it out.
Old 29th September 2010, 02:46 AM   #13
keyes1

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Sounds like a lot of the choice will depend on the compatibility of my mast flex.

Arlid - Just sent a message to ezzy last night actually. I'm really hoping it'll work since the price of the ezzy sail is fantastic compared to some others I've been looking at! Sounds like the zephyr might be just what I'm looking for if your even your freeride is giving you the power you want with 135L.

What speed do you usually need to get planing with the 7.5 freeride rigged on the 135L board?

Last edited by keyes1; 29th September 2010 at 02:59 AM.
keyes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 11:27 AM   #14
PG

According to http://videojibe.com/featured/windsu...ze-calculator/ which is reasonably accurate you would need about 8 m/s in the gusts (135L + freeride 7.5). With good technique maybe a little less.

The Zephyr is supposedly a powerful lightwind sail, and may plane a little earlier.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 10:31 PM   #15
arild

key.
I`m 75 kg and pump my 135 ltd up into plan in 6-7 ms. with my Freeride 4 7.5 ! 46 cm fin and light on the foot and I`m off! Very big tuning-range and surpisingly good low end on the sail!
You`ll get a reply today I guess! They`re great that way too, Ezzy Sails.

arild
arild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 09:46 PM   #16
Nico from Venice

Read on magazines that cam sails are more stable and more efficient in "holes of wind"; camless are less stable and can't bear stronger winds, but have lower planing treshold than camsails.
So as we have not to use large sails in strong winds like pro's and racers, imho far better a camless sail.
Now I own a HSM Superfreak 8,0, using it on a FS 460/25 (and also now on a FS 460/30), Yes many people says it isn't a powerful sail, but I havent't noticed a big difference from previous monofilm sail. And therefore it's light ad you can bend it, crush it and place it everywhere in your car as it's made of dacron. Not a bad thing you you want to carry a large sail inside your car (with all that stuff we windsurfers have also), as I've done in my last trip from Venice, Italy to Denmark. And it's so light I can use it also with my Score 112, or in the lowest winds with my small flapper, about 150 lt.
Previous camless Yes Move SL 8,0 (full x-ply) worked well on flapper but very bad on the Score, as it was far heavier; and much more unconvenient to carry in my car. Superfreak save space for me and... save me from my girlfiend hurried with me for leaving her small room in the car...
My (different and simple) opinion, choice is your.

(under Bog° bridge (DK), not more than 12 kn I think)