Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st October 2010, 07:56 AM   #11
greyghost

Just posting an update

I received the Reaper 39 cm today. Pretty close to a perfect match to the 52 cm Drake freeride stock fin re the leading edge and area

Going to try it out tomorrow
Thanks again Roger !
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Jeff,
I think you will like the Tangent Reaper 39 alot.
I suggest, if you plan to sail the fin this weekend, that you take some time in the next couple of days to get some adhesive cement (rubber glue of some sort) and some thin neoprene ( Starboard "board kit bags" are the correct thickness) and make a gasket for the front overhang on the fin.
Also get a single cut (smooth not a rough double cut) file and a bar of soap and fit the new Reaper 39 cm
fin to your board.
Much better than getting to the launch on Saturday morning and find the fin does not fit in the box real well.
Remember to fit the fin so that it needs to be "pulled" into the box the last little 1/32" inch. This is the "draw" on the tapers and if you get the correct "draw", your fin screws become a back up "hold it in"
mechanism. The tapered surfaces on the front and rear of the fin root give the fin all the support and locational fit that it needs.
Let us know here how this fin works for you.
Regards,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 04:43 AM   #13
greyghost

Hi Roger,

I actually sailed it today. :-) (test fit it last night in the garage) Perhaps planed up a tad little later than the 52 cm stock fin (not really sure because I didn't swap in the 52 to compare), but otherwise was great. I didn't really note a huge difference in pointing up wind and it handled the 8.5 fully powered up perfectly.
And NO weeds got stuck !

by "gasket" do you mean a thin layer between the overhanging edge of the fin and the board?
I was careful to watch that area closely when tightening the screws to make sure not to overtighten and crack it off. That would have been a real bummer.

thanks again
Jeff
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:29 AM   #14
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Jeff,
Did you check the fit on the front taper of the fin root?
The overhang should NOT be what holds the front of the fin off the bottom of the board.
If you put soap (bar of soap, which will turn shiny where it contacts anything)
on the front and back radius tapers of the fin root, you will be able to tell
where those radii are in contact with the fin box.
If the front radius is not in contact with the front of the fin box, your fin is being held up
away from the front taper by the overhang.
Might be good to take a smooth file and carefully (VERY carefully) file a few strokes (about 0.002"
per stroke) of material off the overhang.
When you can see a tiny bit of light under the overhang, with the fin fully pulled in by the fin screws, you
have it fitting perfectly.
Then get some waxed paper and apply a bit of liquid rubber to the fin overhang.
The rubber will adhere to the fin overhang, and the waxed paper will keep it from sticking
to your board. When the liquid rubber has cured, you can carefully trim the rubber to
the same profile as the original fin overhang after you take the tin out of the board.
If you really want perfection, slide a very thin sheet steel or stainless shim (0.005" should be good),
(with the fin loose), and clamp the shim stock under the fin overhang. Then use a razor knife to
trim around the front profile of the overhang.
Now you have a very thin "gasket" permanently attached to your fin overhang and no weeds
can collect under there. It also seals the LE overhang to board interface, giving a a little better
upwind performance.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote