Old 22nd August 2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Z a c

Default Kode pads

I bought an ex demo 86L 2009 Kode at the end of january this year barely used. Its a good board, however I'm having some issues.
The deck pads are beginning to peel off and one section the back outboard white piece came off during a session.
Is there any way I can get a replacement pad piece or how do you recommend I make one and stick it back on.
Although it is a nice board to sail it is pretty bad quality that it would start to fall to bits after only half a years use.
Z a c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:17 AM   #2
RadiantX

Hi Zac,

Similar thing happened to me but on a 2010 Futura. What I did was got my shop to order new pads under warranty. Mine was only a few months old before it started to peel.

Once I had the pads I pulled off the old one's, very easy considering there was very little glue holding it all down! I then marked the foot strap hole positions from the board onto the new pad. Cleaned down the board surface of all old glue, etc. and then glued the new pad down. I then drilled out the holes using a very small drill bit and then followed that with a sphere sanding drill bit to bevel in the holes. Worked perfectly and I believe a much better job then original. I have to agree with you, some pretty bad work quality wise on Starboard behalf!
RadiantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

Probably some problem with a batch of glue. I would follow Radiants advice and get a set of new pads under warranty. The can be ordered for each particular year/model/size. Regular contact cement will make the pad stick forever (assuming the board is dry when you mount the pad and that you follow instructions and don't put it on until the glue on each side is no longer sticky).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Z a c

Well i finally got around to bringing it to the shop and on closer inspection the whole lot is coming unstuck. They called up the distributer and it will cost me $270 to get a new set of pads. Which I think is a bit of a joke because someone in the factory didnt put the glue on properly (or are tyring to save 5 cents per board on glue). Apparently its not covered by warranty because its an 2009.

Doubt I'll buy another starboard.
Z a c is offline   Reply With Quote