Old 27th October 2010, 11:37 PM   #1
etraud

Default Quad IQ 77L - Slotbox problem

Hi everyone,

I have just bought the new Quad IQ 77 last week and I've used it for the first time on monday with the 13 fins in front. It's a really nice board, but when I finished sailing, I took out the fins and I noticed a little problem in the two slotbox 10s. Both boxes have a small surface cut in the back. Itīs about 2 or 3mm deep I think, and have the shape of the back of the 13 fins.

Another important aspect is that I had to force the fins into the boxes (only one of the back 13 slotboxes squeezed the fins easily). So I guess the cuts of the back of the two slotbox 10 were made when I forced the fins into the boxes, because the back of the 13 have a sharp edge that cutted the surface.

Or maybe it happened when I screwed them, because after noticing the problem I fited the fins again and screwed them, and I noticed that the surface of the fins stayed below the surface of the board. So the sharp edge of the 13 fins I mentioned before where carved in the board surface.

By the way, I don't think I screwed too hard. Just normal screwing, but has I screw the fins go down a bit, because the screw is directed in a diagonal direction, so it does a force against the box and a force down into the box.

So I would like to know two things:
1- Will the board let water in because of those two dings? Do I have to repair it? How do I repair such a small ding?
2- How do I prevent it from happening again? How do I squeeze the fins gently?
How do I prevent the fins from going into the box when screwing?

Thank you for the help

Last edited by etraud; 27th October 2010 at 11:42 PM.
etraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Sorry for that inconvenience. I think it might have happened when you pushed them in, maybe a bit with the rear part. To check, press them in again and screw them down and see if the rear part of the fin really "enters" the cuts or if it stays right on top. It is supposed to be a perfectly flush fit. But margins are tight. So a safety measure that really will not effect performance is to angle the upper rear part away from the board a bit with a file or some sand paper.

As for the particular questions.

1. There is a lot of fiber around there, but as a safety measure put a drip of superepoxy or something in the cuts. Even some ding stick will work.
2. I think the fins will come in much ore easily after a few usages. Some light sanding on the sides could make this break in go faster. Even a bit of silocone spray could hell. Or wait - a light rub with a good old (hard) piece of soap. And thn just take some care to put them in "straight" ie not with the front of back first. If the fins really go too deep in the box, let us know. But all my boxes have the right depth. The fins at most make a small little mark in the paint when mounted.

Let us know how things proceed.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 01:28 AM   #3
etraud

Thank you very much for your quick answer Ola, I will follow your recomendations tomorrow and then I'll let you know how things go.
Old 29th October 2010, 01:13 AM   #4
etraud

Well, news aren't great.

First the good news is that the soap trick works.

The bad news are that when I fit the fins with the soap they really enter the box. The back of the fins enter the box and fill the cuts. So I did some measurements: the part of the 4 fins which enters the box is 2,5cm high, and the 2 slotboxes 10 and one of the 13s are 2,7 cm deep, and the other 13 is 2,5 cm.

So my conclusion is that when I screwed the fins, they penetrated that extra 2 mm in the box and so the sharp edge of the back of the fins have cut the back of the slotbox 10. In the front of the slotboxes 10 they didnīt penetrate that 2 mm because the front of the fin is not a sharp edge like in the back.
The other conclusion is that the fins get obviously tilted back when I screw them, because the back of the fin goes down 2 extra mm relatively to the front.

Any good advice?

Last edited by etraud; 29th October 2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 29th October 2010, 03:48 PM   #5
etraud

Anyone can give me some good advice please?
Old 29th October 2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

It's not perfectly ideal that box have ended up too deep like that, but it happened often with US boxes in production, only then you never noticed.

To solve it yourself, you could just put something just thick enough with a drop of glue in the front and rear parts of the box. A small stainless steel washer, fx (or a few to get it just right it they are thin). I used that trick in some custom MT boxes I had that were to deep and it worked well.

Of course, if you don't like to handle this issue yourself you can always bring it back to the dealer and let them have a look. But I would just use that "washer trick" and then be able to sail right away.

I hope it will work out well.
Old 1st November 2010, 07:45 PM   #7
etraud

Well I did the washer trick and solved the problem with the 2 slotbox 10.

I went sailing yesterday and another problem appeared. One of the screws of the left slotbox 13 never ended to turn. I took it out and noticed the thread was stripped of.
So what do I do now?
I read on the repair guide to use loctite form a thread, but i read some product information elsewhere that staid that it worked on wood and metals not plastic. It said:
"This product is not normally recommended for use on plastics
(particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the
plastic could result). It is recommended to confirm compatibility
of the product with such substrates."
So I would like to now if the plastic in the thread of the slotbox is thermoplastic or not, and if it is compatible.
Or if you have a better solution?

Thanks
Old 1st November 2010, 11:33 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

The plastic works OK with the loctite product, but it's still not the perfect solution. Instead there is a special replacement screw designed for this kind of situation. I think your dealer/distributor should have them.

Sorry for all this hassle. Where are you located? If your dealer don't have the replacement screw we can look at other options to get you on the water as soon as possible. Let me know.
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:58 AM   #9
etraud

I'm located in Portugal, Lisbon. The dealer/distributor is in the south, in algarve, 250 km away. But I'll ask them if they have that special screw and if they can send them to me.

Thank you for the help
Old 2nd November 2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

OK. If they don't have it, let me know and I post a few to you (but also tell your dealer to order a few of the replacement screw since it's a good move for any future eventualities).