Old 26th December 2006, 09:07 AM   #1
chef

Default windsurf camp vacation

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a windsurf camp for a week or two. I'm a beginner windsurfer and have stayed a beginner forever because I never get a chance to windsurf enough. I'd like to go to a camp with great coaches, great accomodation and great food! Not picky, any place in the world will do as long as it's beautiful.

Another question, thinking about getting a sail ....i'm 55kg female , i sail in the ocean with very light winds around 10-15 knots, pretty calm water. What size should i get? thinking about a 5.9 or 6. would that be a good size?
There's a few sails i'm looking at, the north sails-spyclone, diva and also some gaastra sails...which sail do you recommend and which brand? also, what kind of a board do you recommend?

thanks!
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 10:25 AM   #2
stefan

Default RE: windsurf camp vacation

I was wondering about the vacation myself, even asked once on SB forum but the post haven't received any response. Buy an issue of Boards magazine (import from UK) you'll find couple of ads for windsurfing vacations in Europe. Egypt or Greece looked particularly interesting to me. Also I'm sure you could find something in Maui, in November there was a week long clinic with Jason Voss there but I could not go at that time. Another two places I was looking into was Gorge and Calema but I haven't arranged anything yet. I'd like to hear from anyone who had a personal experience with any windsurfing clinic/vacation too.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Joe

Depends on where you live.
If you are near to Florida or can travel there - try Tinho's at Calema. www.calema.com. highly recommended.

Or try to hook up with Roger with one of his a Taste of Windsurfing tours.
I'm sure he will post more details here.

Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Chef,
It depends on when (in the year) you want to go, and whether you want to go to a clinic, or simply go to a very nice spot that provides lessons and rental gear.
In the winter, at your suggested skill level, Bonaire, in the Caribbean could be just what you are looking for. You won't find the deluxe accomodations right at the sailing site, but if you rent a car or a scooter (not much $$) you can have the deluxe accomodations and great dining in town. If you decide on Bonaire, check with Annie Phelan at http://www.bonairecaribbean.com/. Annie can arrange almost anything you can imagine on the Island and will greet you personally (most of the time), when you arrive.
But you need to decide what skills you are looking to improve.
Select an instructional program that suits your specific needs.
If you goal is to sail better in your suggested 10-15+ knot conditions, look for a site that gives you similar conditions.
Going to a "hi wind destination" might improve your skills in higher winds and on smaller boards and sails, but will do very little to improve your skills on larger boards and rigs in your stated conditions.
Too much wind could be intimidating, and while exciting, having conditions beyond your "comfort zone" may result in you not getting out on the water enough to work on the skills you need.
If you decide to take a "clinic" you may find one of two things.
The skill level "intent" of the clinic is swomewhat above what you are comfortable with and you won't "fit in" with the rest of the students in the clinic.
OR,
You may find that the instructional program does not match well with your current "skill set" and the clinic will be about changing "how you sail" completely. This might be good, and it might not.
If you try Bonaire, the instructors at "The Bonaire Windsurf Place" (a Starboard center, by the way with great rental giear for all skill levels from Starts and GO's to the small Carves) can individualize your instruction to suit your skills.
Lac Bay is shallow, beautiful with miles of white sand bottom about knee to waist deep with some deeper "green water" conditions down by the channel. The wind is predominantly side onshore and makes sailing in Lac Bay super safe.
Florida (Calema) might be OK, but it will be colder and the wind will depend on the weather fronts coming through in the winter, and it may be very hot and humid with very little wind in the summer.
Maui would be good, but it's very windy and the conditions are rougher, even in close to shore at Kanaha.
Other Caribbean Islands (Aruba, Cabarete, etc, could be good also, but they generally have offshore winds which are a bit more intimidating for progressing sailors.
I'll be in Bonaire Jan. 21st-Feb. 10 2007.
Hope to see you there.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 10:32 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again Chef,
I didn't address the 2nd part of your post at all in the above, so I'll paste in your questions here and work on them individually.

"Another question, thinking about getting a sail ....i'm 55kg female , i sail in the ocean with very light winds around 10-15 knots, pretty calm water. What size should i get? thinking about a 5.9 or 6. would that be a good size?"
A little more information would be helpful here.
What size and type of board have you been sailing (brand/ model or length/volume/width)?
Also the "type" of sail you get can have significant influence on the size you need for your suggested 10-15 knot conditions.
Also, what other rig components do you already have?
Mast: (length, IMCS bend number, and carbon content, if known)?
Boom: length?
When we have an idea of what board you are trying to "power up" in your suggested wind conditions (10-15) we can zero in on some specific sails that may (or may not work with your existing mast and boom) work with what you have, or some specific suggestions on rig "packages" that will work well for you.

There's a few sails i'm looking at, the north sails-spyclone, diva and also some gaastra sails...which sail do you recommend and which brand?
Hmmmm.... are you sure you don't mean Hot Sails Maui here?
Jeff Henderson at Hot Sails Maui designs the "Spyclone" freestyle freemove sails http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/2006/spyclone.phpand also continues the "popular with the ladies" Hot Sails "Diva" line.http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/2006/diva.php
I think you will find some of these same sails at "The Windsurf Place" in Bonaire as that's what they were using last year.

As to what size, a 5.9 or 6.0 m2 rig is not really going to have enough area (square meters) to give you much performance in < 12 knots (unless you are very petite), so probably something a little larger (6.0-7.0 m2) would give you significantly more planing time.

also, what kind of a board do you recommend?
This once again depends a great deal on your overall conditions, and what "wind range" you want to get the best perfromance in.
Wider boards like the smaller GO boards work very well, and can "ramp up" your shortboard skills and time spent planing very quickly.
If you want something a little more turny, the Carve line of boards will surely have a model that suits both you and your conditions perfectly.
Try them all in Bonaire.
http://www.bonairewindsurfplace.com/...equipment_list
Hope this helps,

Old 29th December 2006, 09:49 AM   #6
tonymatta

Hi Roger

Are ther any places in holiday places in Bonaire or elsewhere who that have the Serenity board for hire?
tonymatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 09:52 AM   #7
tonymatta

Also larger sails and formula boards?
tonymatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 10:46 PM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Tony,
Ummmm.... with the windspeeds and the very shallow waters of Lac Bay,
I do not think you are going to find a Serenity there.
Too much wind, and definitely not enough water depth for the stock Serenity 70 cm fin.
I&#39;ve found the Serenity to work quite well with smaller fins, and for situations like Lac Bay a small 36 cm weed fin seems to work pretty well.
As far as larger sails and formula boards, the same situation applies.
Normally there is more than enough wind to make an 8.5 m2 rig the largest necessary, and wide formula boards with 70 cm fins just won&#39;t work in Lac Bay.
So come on over to Bonaire and have a great vacation sailing 4.5-7.5 m2 rigs on 90-150 liter Carves and Isonics.
I&#39;m probably taking my own gear this year and so far I&#39;m planning to take 4.2-6.6 m2 Sailworks Huckers and 7.2-8.5 Sailworks NX SLM sails and the 101 liter Isonic with lots of small fins.
Hope this helps,

Old 31st December 2006, 09:07 PM   #9
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-

HI, chef!

If you want great coaching, you should really try a windsurf camp with Cribby http://www.guycribb.com/ or Jem Hall http://www.boardseekermag.com/home.php. I know that there are also some girls camps, which would probably be ideal for you.

Abouut the equipment... I thinnk you should get a big board to start, like a 155 litre GO, or a 150 litre JP x-cite ride. When you get comfortable with that, then get a smaller board like 100-110l.

You will need at least 2 sails, a 5.5 and a 6.5. The 6.5 will get you planing in lighter winds like 10 knots, but since you are so light you could be planing with a 5.5 really early. Which model? I think for women a HOT sails maui DIVA is great, but generally you should look for a light sail.

All the best and a windy 2007!

Lampi

-Lampi- is offline   Reply With Quote