Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th June 2010, 07:00 PM   #21
Unregistered

I dont think qualities of each system have anything to do with SB`s choice.
I believe Mistral own rights to PB and other manufacturers have to pay royalties for its use.
SB choose not to.Its purely financial.
PB (IMO) is best system for my weight. (Yes weight commes into it)
At 100k my smallest board has enogh depth to use PB; so I use PB.
I agree with earlier posts; a lot of sailors would choose starboard if they used PB in the 90 to 120 litre range of boards.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:50 AM   #22
Unregistered

You wont believe it the Atom has powerbox.....can the Kode 94 and 102 do the same.
I'll have to watch before ordering my bump and jump board this year.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:57 PM   #23
Sailboarder

Yes, the Atom was changed from last year to inclued a powerbox.
Sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 03:00 PM   #24
nakaniko

what a really great new!!! Now I can dream about my future Starboard. Imho a great new for the sport.
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 10:15 PM   #25
heavyweight

Default Powerbox sucks for wavesailing

Most on this thread can ignore my reply as I am only interested in 2 types of sailing - wave sailing and slalom sailing. B&J just seems like a compromise that doesn't excite me. If there is wind but no waves I'd rather be blasting around at top speed. If there are waves, regardless of wind strength I'd rather be wavesailing. That means for light winds a max sail size of 6.2 and a 105ish L wave board for a 95 kg guy like me to slog and ride - 50% onshore crap and 50% cross shore. Most people (in my opinion) totally over fin their wave boards. I ride a 24 cm MFC 2K fin on that size board and have no problem pointing as high as anyone, even the sailors on quad fins. I regularly hit my fins on the submerged rocks in our line up and I have yet to lose a fin, but every session it seems like someone at our break loses a PB fin - usually not even a strong hit, they are just too weak (IMO).

Since I will only ever use my FSW board for wavesailing, a US box is the best box for me. If Starboard starts making the kode in a powerbox in that size I will have to go custom as Starboard are the only ones still making a big guy waveboard with a US box.

Starboard, please don't change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1st March 2011, 12:05 AM   #26
nakaniko

Probably you're a better surfer than me, 90 kg and than most of the riders who write here. But there is no doubt that the most part of the riders lives in areas with not so strong winds to use a small sail and a 23 cm fin if they are around 90-100 kg like us they need strong winds. For me according to www.whitewatersurf.de fin explorer (it was suggested to me on this forum some years ago), I should use 23-25 with sideshore winds and sails around 4,5, that for me mean 25 ktn and more. Not so common unfortunately for me.
But thin tail boards for pure wave will always have us box, no question. I have a us AHD Seal, bad conditions, but I've used it only one time (in Romo-Roemoe DK...). But for the 99% common people, at least here, use 5,3-5,8-6,5 or more and the only sistem that allow easy to mount convertible board, I mean ONE board, is imho powerbox.
Yes larger slalom boards, again tuttlebox is the better choice.
I've bought the fantastic Serenity, the deep tuttlebox did not impressed me so much. For first time after pheraphs about 25 powerbox fins I had to sand carefully but for long time all the TU fins I've bought on aftersale (seaweed), included a Select Delta, not the latest an less famous fin manifacturer... One moment before fin head was too wide, one moment after sanding it was even too thin, this because is not conic-shaped on sidewalls like powerbox. So even the smallest difference can make a fin head loose. With PB you can slowly screw up the fin adapting it at the slight differences of the box, and even giving it a little hit for vertical best position...
About risks for the box coming from under sea impacts, also there imho pb can be better, as fin screw can move a little and act like a suspension, on the opposite the front screw in TU react only in the up-down direction, trying to pull away the box.
The next step is a safety screw with the middle mede thinner almost like on the us type screw, with pheraphs a safety fisherman-rope to avoid loosing the fin. This can work also on a TU system, but in a PB system imho can be the solution for most of us common riders.
Obviously imho and imho again.
And finally congratulations to Starboard to be able to change mind and open to consumer suggestions, it's not so common (think about Burton and the 3d-4x4 affair in snowboarding f.e.).

Last edited by nakaniko; 1st March 2011 at 12:09 AM.
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 10:16 PM   #27
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
Most on this thread can ignore my reply as I am only interested in 2 types of sailing - wave sailing and slalom sailing. B&J just seems like a compromise that doesn't excite me. If there is wind but no waves I'd rather be blasting around at top speed. If there are waves, regardless of wind strength I'd rather be wavesailing. That means for light winds a max sail size of 6.2 and a 105ish L wave board for a 95 kg guy like me to slog and ride - 50% onshore crap and 50% cross shore. Most people (in my opinion) totally over fin their wave boards. I ride a 24 cm MFC 2K fin on that size board and have no problem pointing as high as anyone, even the sailors on quad fins. I regularly hit my fins on the submerged rocks in our line up and I have yet to lose a fin, but every session it seems like someone at our break loses a PB fin - usually not even a strong hit, they are just too weak (IMO).

Since I will only ever use my FSW board for wavesailing, a US box is the best box for me. If Starboard starts making the kode in a powerbox in that size I will have to go custom as Starboard are the only ones still making a big guy waveboard with a US box.

Starboard, please don't change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think there are some other too? RRD? And soon there will be one more (Simmer boards).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 08:19 AM   #28
Ulf

For Heavy weight. JP have the 99 single thruster as well. Perfect for a heavyweight.

SO what to order this coming winter..JP FSW again or Kode.....It all depends on one thing the finbox.
Ulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 04:58 AM   #29
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
For Heavy weight. JP have the 99 single thruster as well. Perfect for a heavyweight.

SO what to order this coming winter..JP FSW again or Kode.....It all depends on one thing the finbox.
The JP FSW and Kode are quite different in the way they ride and perform so it wouldn't be wise to base your decision on fin type alone.

I do agree on the benefits of power box. I have boards with power tuttle and US box, by far the power box is the most sensible options for FSW and small - medium size boards (excluding wave).