Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 27th May 2011, 07:10 AM   #1
troll

Default 2008 Futura 122 or iSonic?

I have opportunity to purchase either a 2008 Futura 122 in technora or an iSonic. I am advanced sailor, so I should be able to handle the iSonic ok. My other equipment is race gear.
I am considering the Futura because I'm interested in sailing for longer periods of time with less fatigue. My race gear wears me out pretty quickly. Is that the fault of my technique?

Would a pro level sailor be able to sail longer with less fatigue on the Futura?
Or, is the Futura so boring that it's not worth considering for sailor used to crisp and technical gear?

I'm 37 and am finding that I don't recover between sailing sessions as quickly as I used to. I have lots of free time to sail now, but I'm missing sailing days because of being too worn out. It's a bit of drive to beach for me, so I don't want to get there and sail for an hour and then quit. I want to put in a good 2.5 hrs at least, and have some energy left over for the following day.

Anybody else facing this conundrum? I'm getting tired of the whole race gear snob thing...especially, if the speed differential is marginal. How is the futura as far as crispness and responsiveness. I don't want a board that is totally detuned.
troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Phill104

I've owned a number of iSonics and Futuras over the years. While I am not an expert I do enjoy a real good blast and hate to be overtaken. The iSonics are fun but as you know, do take a lot of work in some conditions. The Futuras are definately less hard work but not by much if you are really going for it. They are almost as fast as the iSonics too but not quite as on the edje all the time.

Having said that it does all depend on how you sail. It is up to you how hard you work when you are sailing. Even on the most sedate of board you can still knacker yourself out.

At 39 I know I am slowing down fitness wise but my plan is to work harder during the rest of the time. If I can inprove my fitness then age will be less of a problem. We have some very fit 50+yr olds at our club who can sail day in day out for very long periods of time each day and work really hard when they do. It is simply because they do other sports on non windy days to keep that fitness level high.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Ken

Troll,

I have an iS 111 and a HiFly move 105, similar in volume but totally different on the water. I am assuming the Futura takes smaller sails than the iS even though it has the same volume (board width difference). This means you will need a little more wind to get going on the Futura, but it should be a much smoother ride. Also, if you are using race sails, moving down to sails with no cams can make the whole thing a little less stressful.

Yes, you may sacrifice some early planing and a little top speed, but it will likely be a more pleasant ride and save a little strength on the Futura.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 11:10 PM   #4
Ken

Troll,

Something else you need to think about - How do these two boards fit into your board and sail quiver?

As I said before, my iS and HiFly are similar in size and volume, but.............

iS111 (actual volume is 108): 8.4, 7.6, 6.6 sails in winds from 12 to 20 knots.

HiFly 105: 6.0, 5.0, 4.5, 4.0 sails in winds from 18 to 30 knots. (the HiFly is a bit large for the 4.5 and 4.0, but where I sail, there is a huge wind shadow that is tough to get through on my 80 liter board, so rarely use it.)

Formula 160: 11.0, 9.2, 8.4 sails in 8 to 20 knots

You will likely find that the boards you are looking at don't fit into the same slot in your quiver.

Also, as you age, you simply can't depend on your body "being ready" to sail at any time. If you want to be fit enough to sail for 2.5 hours without much stress, you have to begin a year round, regular workout program or some sort of cross training that will keep your arms, back and legs strong. Most windsurfers that have long periods of no sailing first lose strength (endurance) in their arms/shoulders/back. The only way to maintain strength is to do weights of some sort. I can't think of any cross training that will help with this area.

Oh yea - I am 66 and got in 4 days last week of 5.0 and 6.0 sailing in 15-30 knot winds on my HiFly, with each session between 60 and 100 minutes of water time (GPS monitored). Tired and a little sore?, yes but 24 hours of recovery and I am ready to go again (with the help of some Naproxen Sodium/Aleve).
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote