Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th June 2011, 07:36 AM   #1
Papa TERRY

Default Advice

Hi!! every one. I used to be an RYA instuctor bigginer. intermidiate. Many years ago , I am now 80 years old, fit , slim, 6ft tall. used to be a sports coach. I now live on an Island in the philippines with a lovely white sandy beach and clear bluey green sea.
So why not try windsufing again ? or even teach here ?
My question for you is what board should I buy and what two size sails whould you avise. as boards have sails have changed since my time, and I am a bit out off toach.
Dont worry about my age, I am a stubbon old so and so. and dont give in easy.
And can I make my own simulater.?
Papa TERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Sailboarder

Here is one way to build a simulator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66f48NYdakM

Others can be built with golf balls and plywood, etc... Search for it on the web.

Your board selection will be greatly affected by the balance you have. You should start by renting or trying a Start board. They are very stable and good for the initial phase of learning. If your balance is good, and since you sailed before, it is possible that you will sail it only 2 or 3 times before outgrowing the board.

If you enjoy going out in less windy conditions, a longboard would be great for you. It has a daggerboard, so you can go anywhere you want. A Go Windsurfer or a RIO could be great. I would also recommend a Kona One as it is a very versatile board.

Have fun.
Sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Terry,
While the simulator suggested by sailboarder will actually work, it's pretty "klugy and crude", not very
stable and too high off the ground.
We had the plans for a pretty good simulator here on this website at one time, so I will check and see if we can get them to be available again.
Sailboarder's suggestions on boards are pretty much "spot on", but you would need to give us more information on the windspeeds get where ever you are in the Phillipines.
I sailed there once, at the Naval Base at Cubi Point and while it was a magnificent venue, there was not much wind.
So, a Rio M would be my first suggestion, and since the wind was in the 8-12 knots range, probably a 7.5 m2 rig.
Tell us a little more about your conditions and we can refine the recommendations.
Wind velocity, sea state, on fresh or salt water, currents etc.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote