Old 18th July 2011, 10:56 PM   #31
Farlo

Hello Poster #29, again it depends on which F4 you are talking about. For sure I will be "nicely powered up in 6.6 - 7m" in steady 14-15 knots (I'm 67 Kg) but in 11-12 knots the 7.8 will not be too much. In "13-17 knots, with an average of 15 (F4) and gusts up to 25" I might be OK with 6m, but there is no single number like F4 to describe it.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 11:41 PM   #32
john26

I tried the WindMeter iPhone app to make measurements but I quickly realized that measurements are far from the reality! I totally agree with Ken—experience teaches us how to read the water for wind speed, and it’s pretty easy if you only sail in a few locations.

When I’m on the beach and friends call to ask about the wind, I usually give them a beaufort estimation. That ends up being enough for them to decide if it’s worth the drive, or which sail to rig.

Just found an iPhone app called weendy that let me send a wind estimation out from the spot where I am sailing. That way everyone has the info, and I can finally rig my sail without all these phone calls: )

Last edited by john26; 26th July 2011 at 10:16 PM.
john26 is offline   Reply With Quote