Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 10th June 2011, 05:57 AM   #1
Cosmic1

Default Phantom question

I am considering purchasing a 2010 used Phantom. I see the board weight is listed at 14.22 kg. Does this weight include the centerboard and cartridge? I weighed the board and it came in at 17.73 kg with the straps on, centerboard in - no fin. Is this reasonable or could there be a problem? Are most racers going with a 50cm fin? A 45 cm fin comes with this board – could this be a disadvantage? Thanks for any info.
Cosmic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 03:08 AM   #2
IRL-250

Send a message via Skype™ to IRL-250

I haven't weighed my own Phantom but i think the quoted weight of 14.22kg is minus the centerboard & Cartridge, Straps and Fin so i don't think there will be a problem with the board. As with anytime buying a second hand board check it over for any repairs and this will tell you also if there is any problem with the board.

I personally use a 50cm Vector Maui Canefire Fin in light to medium winds and then a 46cm Vector Maui Canefire fin in strong winds and most people i know with a phantom use similar sizes on the board. If you buy the board get a second bigger fin around 50cm and you will be covered for any wind strength.

Hope this helps

KA Sails (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Chinook (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Vector Maui Fins (
)
Pro Motion Wetsuits (
)
Wind & Wave (
)
Curve (
)
Windsurfingfins (
)

KA Koncept 4.4, 5.0, 5.8, 6.6, 7.5, 8.3, 9.5
KA Kaos 4.2, 4.7, 5.3,
KA Kult 5.8, 6.4m

Starboard - Isonic Speed W53, Phantom 380, Quatro 85l Evil Twin Custom.
IRL-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Cosmic1

Default Remi?!

Hi Remi,

Can you confirm that IRL-250 is correct - "I think the quoted weight of 14.22kg is minus the centerboard & Cartridge, Straps and Fin" Thank you!
Cosmic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Cosmic1,

The weight of the board that you can see on our web is with out anything (Fin, Dagger Board, Straps, Track mast)

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 08:33 AM   #5
stroke1969

Hey everybody
i am a owner of starboard 380 and i have some dificulties to find the mast base for the regulable track. Any idea where can i find it? In Argentina, where i live, is to dificult find this base.

Best resgard!
stroke1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 05:32 PM   #6
nakaniko

Hi from Nico, Italy. I don't own a Phantom 380 but an old Mistral Echo 298 and a new Mistral Ventura 343 from 2009, both with adjustable mast track. As Mistral has stopped any raceboard production I'm interested in knowing about the starboard joint, if you mean the one thant can be seen here on the left http://www.star-board.com/2012/products/accessories.php
Seeing from ebay.de windsurf section, actual joint is always called "powerjoint" and seems to be a standard, even the head of the pin is different, I suppose not the shape. Anyway for my Ventura Keppler Surf Shop in Pforzheim has sold me a (pricy) Bic joint who works perfectly with both Ventura and Echo, it has ha way thinner head than older Mistral.
The older Mistral, similar to the one made by Starboard, has thicker head so curiosly doesnt work on Ventura, but I'm reducing it with a grinder to make it fully compatible with my Ventura.
So if even the starboard is a "powerjoint", if you don't find the original Starboard one, a Bic sould be compatible, here I can fine it cheap at Decathlon. Pay attention that the Bic has a weird and imho useless side wing to fix the uphauling rope that has caused big scratches on the eva surface of my Ventura, so I've now cut it away and I suggest to tho the same before having the surface of the board signed or scratched.
Anyway I'm interested in knowing from Starboard staff if the Phantom Joint is compatible with the powerjoint standard and so with Bic and (new) Mistral, or if it's different. And I also would like to know about the choice by Starboard of a nice and thick kardan joint instead of a rubber one, if this can give advantages in raceboarding compered to a classic rubber one, even a thick boge one.

Last edited by nakaniko; 28th July 2011 at 05:35 PM.
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote