Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th November 2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Dave K

Default Belieze Windsurfing

I'll be on a cruise with my wife over christmas vacation. We have a one day stop in Belieze. Any chance of windsurfing there? What should I expect? Where can I rent gear if it is good?

Thanks
Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 04:04 AM   #2
James

Default RE: Belieze Windsurfing

Hey Dave,

I don't know about shops, but I know it blows in Belize. In March 2004 I was on an island research station there and it blew 15-25 kts over crystal clear water 24 hours a day for 10 days. You will be miserable if you can't windsurf.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Del Carpenter

Sailsports Belize in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye rents windsurfing gear.
Their website is: http://www.sailsportsbelize.com/
They were good to me in December 2000.

But, if I had only one day in Belize, and could reach of "Shark Alley" off Ambergris Caye I would spend the time on a snorkel trip instead. The second longest barrier reef in the world is off Ambergris Caye and offers great snorkeling. At Shark Alley you can snorkel with 4-6 ft nurse sharks and 3-5 ft wide rays. Scuba diving is also very popular there.

Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 06:42 AM   #4
Dave K

Iteresting tip Del,
Thanks
Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 05:44 AM   #5
LK

Hey

Looks very interesting, what time of the year is it best for Belize /windsurfing, is Easter time to late ?
Thinking about 2-3 weeks with windsurfing, diving and Maya/Rain forrest tour.
Coming from Europe.

Cheers
LK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 09:56 PM   #6
Del Carpenter

A flexible watertime schedule (sail windy days, dive/snorkel calm days) should give you a great time.

The following paragraphs are quoted from the Sailsports Belize website:http://www.sailsportsbelize.com/

"If you are looking to sail in uncrowded water where you are not swamped with other windsurfers and are happy in 12???20 knots (Beaufort 4-5) then Belize is heaven. We are not really a high wind centre although we often get winds of 20 plus. If you are looking for 20???30 knots everyday Belize is not for you.

We cater primarily to beginners and intermediates. If you are just getting in the straps and practising water starts/carve gybes this is the perfect place for you. We also have some great wave sites, although you will need to go with a local to find them.

Belize is good for beginners all year round. It is very rare for there to be no breeze at all. Intermediates should look to November through to July.

For the advanced sailor our most consistently windy time is February through June. In November, December and January our wind is often frontal with cold fronts sweeping down from the States and bringing 15-25 knot breezes for 3 to 4 days at a time. February through July we get the trades and thermals. We tend to get morning and afternoon breezes with a lunchtime lull."
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 03:45 AM   #7
LK

Thanks Del

12 to 20 knots is fine, sailing most of the time in 10-16 knots at home, so light to medium wind freeride is OK.
Does anybody know best flight route from Europe ?
Looks like the Mexican coast up to Cancun has similar konditions !
Are there good spots/surfcenters there ?
There are a lot of flights to Cancun, Playa del Carmen.......

Cheers
LK is offline   Reply With Quote