Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 11th January 2007, 08:51 AM   #1
GEM

Default Changing footstrap settings for the day

Interesting question I've had for a long time, but never really asked it before:

Who changes footstrap settings on, say, a Kombat, to switch back and forth between wave settings and freeride settings? And how often do you do that?

Board manufacturers talk about this as a selling point, including *B, but in point of fact I have NEVER seen anyone do it. The reality is, that with screw inserts as they are, people don't do that. Most people put the straps on the board and ride it. If they wave sail, they use inboard settings; if they freeride, outboard settings. Very, very few sailors even experiment deliberately with footstrap settings (front screw, back screw locations); the get the board, put the straps on where they feel comfortable, and go.

On extremely rare occasions, top level sailors will set the straps, go sail, come back in and change them, go sail, come back in and change them again, go sail, and come back to put them where they work. In fairness, the very best sailors do it while also moving the base, changing fins, etc.

IN FACT, the folks I've seen who sail in multiple conditions have a dedicated board for each condition and style.

What is everyone else's experience?
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 09:55 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: Changing footstrap settings for the day

Hi Geoff,

I'm with you on foot strap position. One really needs to adjust to a board. Truly, I think that the designer decides the optimum foot strap positions, and any significant changes from that are a deviation from the sweet spot. Although the contraints of physical size can mix things up a bit, I still think that too many options are simply over rated. Take a great slalom rocker and locate a number of footstrap positions too far inboard is a recipe for a loser. While some may differ about this, I know I how feel. Give me the optimum, and I'll adjust.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Russell

Hi Geoff.

I used to move my straps forward and back depending on conditions and what I was doing but found that you soon strip the thread on the plugs and have to use a wider screw so have stopped. However when I get a new board I have to sail it a few times to find out the exact place I like the straps. This mainly applies to wave and freestyle boards.

I do sail with off set straps though liking a wider stance for the ridding side so when I change tacks I have to change strap position.

I wish that manufactures would come up with a better system for moving the straps that is easier and you do not strip inserts. Maybe mini fin boxes but this adds weight.

Steve, I agree with you foot strap position is dependent on rocker and the designer will put them in the optimum position giving you a small adjustment for sailor size and style.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 03:33 PM   #4

The solution existed in the 90s, and I never understood why it hasn't been copied since, a real breakthrough. On boards such as the Gecko family of convertibles, the straps could be swapped in less than one minute, and I'm talking of the four, with a brilliant, simple, sturdy system.
Is it patented ? If not (and it's not the first time), I beg SB put it on their boards.
Cheers
Arno13
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hey Geoff,

It's a good topic but it seems the original question

Quote:
Who changes footstrap settings on, say, a Kombat, to switch back and forth between wave settings and freeride settings? And how often do you do that?
has been mixed with the very related but seperate issue of

Quote:
"should boards be built/configured to allow it" ???

My comment is
(to Q1 - who does it ?) ; Not many.
(to Q2 - should boards allow it ?) ; definitely, where the board's intended use/ride style allows for valid alternate stances.
(Kombat/ST and Carve all being good examples of not only where it can work, but should be provided to make a crossover board more versatile - or "customiseable"- even if each owner sets to their personal preference and never moves from that. You won't see too many inboard/outboard options on dedicated designs like the small and mid iSonics ..

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 08:57 AM   #6
steveC

Hi Ian,

One thing that's noteworthy in Geoff's original post is his comment that folks that sail in multiple conditions have dedicated boards for each condition or style. I know l do, so once the straps are attached, that's it. Frankly, my boards either don't have choices, or very minor ones, but that's never been a problem.

With that said, I have to admit that I'm not that far outside the standard margin with respect to my height or weight. I know a really big guy that has often had production boards modified to include completely new footstrap locations to suit his stature and weight. But when he does so, he requires two position attachments per side to fix and stablize the straps. Believe me, I'm a strong advocate of two position per side attachments. From my point of view, I would lose the myriad of different options and implement two position attachments instead in the optimum locations. Yet, maybe my paradigm here doesn't truly reflect the mainstream. Based on the industry focus, what is right isn't always the same. I must be too much of a purest.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 12:07 PM   #7
GEM

Good eye on the conversation, Ian

Quote:
My comment is
(to Q1 - who does it ?) ; Not many.
(to Q2 - should boards allow it ?) ; definitely, where the board's intended use/ride style allows for valid alternate stances.
(Kombat/ST and Carve all being good examples of not only where it can work, but should be provided to make a crossover board more versatile - or "customiseable"- even if each owner sets to their personal preference and never moves from that.
So the problem with this is that no manufacturers, even *B, have screw inserts that won't wear out (as was pointed out above).

I concur that not all boards need easily, quickly, indefinitely (i.e., durable) changeable screw inserts, but it certainly would be nice if all mid-range / crossover boards had them.

Instead, my boards have multiplied like rabbits, and now I have one board for each sail...
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Steve,

Yeah, for sure there is a lot of good points and perspective, and in most cases the (extra) dedicated board or consistant conditions (or rider choosing to only sail in consistant conditions..) are all factors why optional stance could be seen as a waste of time or epoxy. Most guys will certainly agree that changing stance daily (or regularly) is not practical, and mostly not happening, as well.

Actually, what is interesting is when testing then often you get to test (by necessity ) things you "know" ( based on solid previous experiences ) won't be so good (like someone else's strap placement on that board ) - and sometimes a strange thing happens where some other (apparent minor) factor has changed (like a fin model) and bingo, all of a sudden you hit on some newer hot setup, one you would never have had ~ except for trying something that you "knew" from careful prior testing and measurements etc would never be as good as your own..

But think of a nice sailing place, with steady conditions and lots of good sailing time..
You know , a place where you'd never need alternate stance.
Hmmmmm. Most guys : Maui.
So think of one board that could (truly) be quite a universal ride over there..
Hmmmmm. Acid ? iSonic ? Ahhh ! Kombat !
OK, so in winter you have a great ride with the wave setup (inboard, great B&J crossover and cool waveriding fun. Come summer, the swells gone South and drag racing harsh chop at Kanaha is the game, so break out the screwdriver and turn that crossover into a demi slalom B&J blaster - and let the one board fun continue.

Does it work ? Yeah, well, within reason it does - on a good board, especially one developed and tested to consider optimal stance/deckshape/positioning in both stances (which can be a challenge)

Not for everyone, sure. And in Maui everyone has 4 or 5 boards, not 1.
But think even seasonal possibilities in other locations..
Maybe practical even where it might not be..

But let's still see what other rider's are doing ???

Quote:
Who changes footstrap settings on, say, a Kombat, to switch back and forth between wave settings and freeride settings? And how often do you do that ?
Cheers ~ Ian

Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 04:06 PM   #9
foolonhill

I do!
On most of my boards I do adapt the straps positions to the conditions. It is certainly partly due to the fact that I live in Paris and go sailing "where the wind blows". So I have no "local spot" and the conditions can be very different: chop, wave, tide, constant wind or gusts....and I have to adapt to avoid windsuffering instead of windsurfing (this one is from Barry Spanier!).
I vary the strap setting to make my board better pass the lulls (forward setting), or fly on the fin with a back and narrow stance when the wind is strong and the water flat enough, and regain control in hi wind and choppy conditions by widening the stance.
Wave sailing sideshore, I also often like to have my front strap further forward on the surfing side and one hole back on the jumping side.
I know I loose some minutes to do this and find the ideal setting (they call me the mad trimmer!), but one thing is certain: when a friend tries my board, he always feels good on it (providing we have the same size). And the contrary is rarely true!
I also change the straps (and the fin) when my wife wants her board back!
So yes, please Starboard try to improve the inserts so old maniacs like me (24 years of windsurfing) can do and undo their straps without wearing the thread.
On my first generation S-type 115 (what a board!!!), we have to undo the back straps for fitting the fin. And I have now to go for bigger screws cause the threads are worn.
Best regards and thank you for the Carve, S-type, Hypersonic and Evo (the others I don't know!). And keep on kicking windsurfers asses for they still "do it standing up"!
Cheers Foolonhill
foolonhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 04:24 PM   #10
Phill104

I never change my footstrap settings. I have a Kombat which I use with inboard settings which suit the conditions for when I use that board. In flat conditions I just change to a different board. If the water is flat I would rather use a more speed orientated board than the Kombat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote