Go Back   Starboard Forums > Peter Hart's Techniques

Old 16th September 2008, 02:09 AM   #11
Peter Hart
Technical Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidestroppa View Post
Hi Peter.
I 've got some info about how to get to Vassiliki but it is a very long trip (2 flights, etc) for just 1 week. I would like to find an alternative spot where I can find also a very good school for freestyle: do you have any suggestion wher to go in Greece or elsewhere ?
Hi David
Sorry to say I haven't really windsurfed anywhere else in Greece part from Vassiliki and Paros (which is windier and a beautiful island). Outside Greece, Dahab on the Red Sea is one of the best freestyle hotspots with reliable wind and flatter than flat water. El Tur and Moon Beach are also good but a bit more remote.
Good luck

Peter
Peter Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 02:27 AM   #12
Peter Hart
Technical Guru

Hi Adam
Yes that was the day of all days! In the morning we were going for the world production record. Sailing a 105 litre Mistrl Energy within a few feet of the concrete in 60 knots of wind remains one of the stupidest things I've done on a windsurfer. We both did over 40 in the afternoon but it was too windy - we just couldn't sheet in, not helped by the sails of the day that had limited twist and over-powered very quickly.
We did sail the marine on port a couple of times but it was never as fast as the SW wind has to come over the hills. NW seems to be the best direction.
It sounds as if you're doing pretty well but the best general tips I can give are just let the gig pull you along - a lot of beefy speedsters dig in and try to muslcle it, drag it in and sail too much off the back foot. The broader it is the more you have to let yourself sail between your feet and even favour the front foot.
Sorry I can't help with Karpathos - I retired from the speed tour just before the event started there.
All the best and thanks for reading the forum
Cheers
Peter
Old 15th October 2008, 08:25 AM   #13
carvesalot

Hi Harty,
I quite enjoyed your addition to the Starboard Forums .
Do you have any time on the Evo Evil Twin ?
Will this have any use in bump & jump conditions ?
Quick answer before Ola.....
Old 20th October 2008, 09:38 PM   #14
WILDWINDSCA

A great article, and "brain replacing brawn" , yes its true. I am way better at 43 then 23 or even 33!!. You just dont have the energy to waste, when you do you find out fast!!!
Speaking to the psycologica aspects of sailing woudl be great!!
I still run up against the wall , I suspect like many , and especially in conditions i am not used to ie: when on holidays.
Three years ago in maui, i reached a mental state that allowed me to advance my skills in waves tenfold ( still not very good but I WAS lousy before)and this after i had been going there for many years.
Last year i hit a wall and was fighting it out there on the water.
I had not learned to read myself sail in and relax, rehydrate have a snack or even pack up take a day off and go hiking.
Conditions were semi extreme as well, 4.2 being the sail choice and i am 195 lbs!!
A broken footstrap screw mid gybe put me over the handle bars and my foot in ice with a lingering injury that after 5 months finally has settled.
But when it happened it was 1 day before departure , 4.2 conditions , voodoo chop and ..i was pushing it and not in the groove.
Again a lesson learnt.

Jeff E
WILDWINDSCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:56 AM   #15
k.lauman

So, when I'm 45 the "Amandas" will still come around?
k.lauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 05:16 PM   #16
Peter Hart
Technical Guru

Default Evil twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesalot View Post
Hi Harty,
I quite enjoyed your addition to the Starboard Forums .
Do you have any time on the Evo Evil Twin ?
Will this have any use in bump & jump conditions ?
Quick answer before Ola.....
I have a LOT of time for the Evil Twin. It is however a dedicated wave board which much happier been driven hard on its edge that ridden flat. For a more bumpy jump performance I'd go for a Code. That 86 is a rocket ship!
Cheers
Peter
Old 12th March 2009, 05:19 PM   #17
Peter Hart
Technical Guru

Default Out of gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDWINDSCA View Post
A great article, and "brain replacing brawn" , yes its true. I am way better at 43 then 23 or even 33!!. You just dont have the energy to waste, when you do you find out fast!!!
Speaking to the psycologica aspects of sailing woudl be great!!
I still run up against the wall , I suspect like many , and especially in conditions i am not used to ie: when on holidays.
Three years ago in maui, i reached a mental state that allowed me to advance my skills in waves tenfold ( still not very good but I WAS lousy before)and this after i had been going there for many years.
Last year i hit a wall and was fighting it out there on the water.
I had not learned to read myself sail in and relax, rehydrate have a snack or even pack up take a day off and go hiking.
Conditions were semi extreme as well, 4.2 being the sail choice and i am 195 lbs!!
A broken footstrap screw mid gybe put me over the handle bars and my foot in ice with a lingering injury that after 5 months finally has settled.
But when it happened it was 1 day before departure , 4.2 conditions , voodoo chop and ..i was pushing it and not in the groove.
Again a lesson learnt.

Jeff E
Hi Jeff

You're right. the major lessons I've learned with age are 1. Wear Suncream (a bit late now unfortunately - I call them 'character lines.). And take on some fuel every now and then!
Hope the ankle has fully recovered
Cheers
Peter
Old 17th June 2010, 02:05 PM   #18
reccakeys

Default great

hi!
NIce info bro. Even though I am a beginner at surfing I still try that one. I can be pretty good soon. How I wish to be that very well equip with info about surfing. wish me luck guys!!!

Thanks a lot for the detailed article

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
reccakeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 05:19 PM   #19
malarky

this is such a helpful article, thanks peter, il be readin alot of your stuff rfrom now on so keep it coming!!
malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 01:51 AM   #20
andreiXP

I find a lost of new and interesting information. Thanks for this peter
andreiXP is offline   Reply With Quote