Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 5th January 2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Roly Gardner

Default Freeride sail options

Happy New Year All

Further to my thread last year, I am looking to buy two sails for my recently purchased Carve 145. Roger suggested the T Bird T3. Are there any similar style sails that I could consider?

I am new to the sport having been learning the basics in 2006. I sail on the UK south coast where winds tend to be moderate - force 2/4 typically. At around 165 pounds, what size sails should I purchase to enable me to sail and get planing in the widest wind range please?

Thank You
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Freeride sail options

Hi again Roly,
We'll wait a bit here and see what other sailors may suggest.
Similar sails (both new and used) would be the Sailworks Retro,
Severne Gator, Gasstra GTX or Pilot,
You would be looking for a Free race or Freeride no-cam or maybe 2 cam
recreational sail.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Roly Gardner

Hi Roger

Thats great as I have a choice of new Gaastra rigs with either 6.0 or 6.5 sails. I wonder which I ought to go for considering that I am new to the sport? I am tempted to go larger and borrow smaller rigs from my club if I don't take to the larger sail at first. That would mean I had a 460 mast and could go a little larger in due course. Any thoughts. I am not sure that .5 of a sq m is going to make a great deal of difference anyhow.

Cheers

Roly
Old 11th January 2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
I'd suggest the 6.5 m2 and then look for a 7.5-8.0 m2 that may fit on your 460 cm mast.
On a big board like the Carve 144 you can easily hold down a 6.5 m2 (at your 165 lbs.) in Force 4 Bft (13-18 knots).
I'm sure you will find that you need something larger (as soon as your develop your skills a bit more) to get the Carve 144 planing earlier.
Probably an 8.5-9.0 m2 (or larger) for Bft F3, but not until you are comfortable on a 6.5 or 7.5 m2.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 03:38 PM   #5
Roly Gardner

Morning Roger,

Great help as ever. Better get on the phone and place my order.

Thank you.
Roly
Old 13th January 2007, 11:05 PM   #6
mike

For further consideration: Certainly a 6.5 makes sense for 13-18 knots - you should fly @ 18 knots. Modern sails & boards have quite a range. If 6.5 is your starting point, I'd suggest the next size up be no less than 8.0. Problem of course is typically 8.0 needs a 490 mast (always go with the recommended mast).

The bigger the sail, the biggger the size gap you can have (I go from 6.5 to 8.5). The 6.5 on 145 litre will go easy @ 14-15 knots. When you get into ligher winds, the wind power loss is large & the wind holes can be big.

Good luck!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote