Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 17th October 2011, 04:53 AM   #1
gre26

Default Stop building black boards!

Hi,
I'd just like you to know I'm genuinely scared! I invested more than 2000 Euros on a lovely, sleek superlight Phantom 380 board and I am now horrified! No matter how good care I take of it (believe me, I am no teenager throwing it around), it seems to be willing to make a new hole very time I get it in the water! Plus, I can't leave it anywhere near a winter's sun, as the slightest sunray gets its dark grey body warming up pretty quickly and opening the valve makes a "TSCHHHHHH" sound that sounds pretty worrying. No delamination so far but I would definitely not mind 200 grams of extra weight if it was to be painted white. I wonder if insurance covers delamination. Apart from that, the board ROCKS!
gre26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 08:34 AM   #2
KC2684

Default Is the black Board causing this problem?

I seem to be getting some distortion on the bottom of my 2011 (black) fantom 380. I have sent pictures to my dealer and am waiting for a response.
Some interesting notes:
When purchased, the board bottom was NOT uniformly grey, but had areas showing a black cross hatch about 2cm apart on a bias of about 45degrees. This was not over the entire bottom but in about 5 areas about 10cm wide and 50cm long. At the time the finish felt smooth over these areas.
after about 2 months of use in Ontario Canada, I noticed that I could feel the black pattern and it appeared very slightly raised. In one particular spot, there was a small "blister" forming.
I then contacted the dealer who agreed to send my photos to Starboard.
Do other owners have this black crosshatching?
Is this common? Is this a significant problem? What causes this to happen?

Please advise.
Barry
KC2684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Pelegrin

I have a thread in the other forum about the grey paint falling of Isonic 127 2011. It is under the board where the black ruff surface is shown at about 30 x 1 cm. There is also signs of other crack in the paint.

This and the thing that I had a big all-over-nose-crack first day with the board do not make me so impressed of it!
Pelegrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 11:21 PM   #4
Unregistered

Question

They will carry on building them whilst people carry on buying them !!!

Price of boards is getting crazy !!! Cut one open and just look what you are getting for your money !!!

A block of polystyrene with minimal Carbon /kevlar in it !!! Reckon we are being taken for a ride !!!

7 kg of material costing 1500 ????? Not bad return on that !!! Its all those sponsored sailors more than cost of materials !!!!
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
They will carry on building them whilst people carry on buying them !!!

Price of boards is getting crazy !!! Cut one open and just look what you are getting for your money !!!

A block of polystyrene with minimal Carbon /kevlar in it !!! Reckon we are being taken for a ride !!!

7 kg of material costing 1500 ????? Not bad return on that !!! Its all those sponsored sailors more than cost of materials !!!!
So- you'd rather not have any sponsored riders developing your brand's boards?

That sounds like a great plan!
Old 23rd October 2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Unregistered

Question

Its very naive to think sponsored sailors have anything to do with board development !

Sponsored sailors job is to brain wash other sailors !!!
Old 24th October 2011, 12:03 AM   #7
Unregistered

Question Not much in boards ???

Saw a broken starboard other day . Was shocked to see the lack of material (except expanded foam) in it..

There were no stringers ; the bottom laminate was woefully thin... I really was shocked .

Was a kode 94 which I thought should have been a bit heavier built ???
Old 25th October 2011, 12:38 AM   #8
Farlo

Wonder what is the real gain in brushing/sanding boards to let the outer layer show through the painting: 200 grams? Personally I find some models really ugly. I would also prefer at thicker, more resilient shell. I like a board to be light but when you make a ding each time you pull it out of the bag, well... it sucks. Maybe honeycomb sandwich will make its great return as carbon becomes unaffordable. My Fanatic Ultra Rat (108L) was ~8 kg naked and rock solid twenty years ago.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Unregistered

And 20 years ago my Fanatic Ultra Rat snapped on it's first outing in chop

Looked nice though
Old 25th October 2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Farlo

You must have been unlucky then, hope you got it exchanged under warranty. Mine was a 1992 model. I sailed it for about five years in choppy places like Leucate and made only one/two dings, easily repaired. I sold it because I was considering to quit windsurfing (but took over after a few months). Had also the Ultra Gecko 265, nice board too.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote