Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th September 2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Sailboarder

From the website, it was done in order to keep costs in check.

Special note on 2012 Futura construction: Especially for the 2012 Futura models, Starboard's Carbon, Wood and Technora technologies have been merged into two technology options : Carbon and Wood. The Carbon Futura is the lightest and stiffest option. The new Wood Futura constuction is a hybrid between last year's Wood and Technora, to offer a blend of high rigidity, high comfort and importantly even more value.
Sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 07:03 AM   #12
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboarder View Post

Special note on 2012 Futura construction: Especially for the 2012 Futura models, Starboard's Carbon, Wood and Technora technologies have been merged into two technology options : Carbon and Wood. The Carbon Futura is the lightest and stiffest option. The new Wood Futura constuction is a hybrid between last year's Wood and Technora, to offer a blend of high rigidity, high comfort and importantly even more value.
yes, most people have probably seen that, but I think the big question, that there has been no response from the starboard team,is why the new wood version is heavier than last previous tecnora versions.
Pretty simple question in my book. Would be good to read an answer, no matter what it is.
The team seem to be able to answer most other questions posted. Why not this one????
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 07:43 AM   #13
HKG2103

I was about to place order for a 2012 futura 93, but after seeing the board weight, I gave up.
HKG2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Farlo

Looks like early versions were much lighter. 2008 FU-111 Wood: 6.85kg & Technora: 7.15kg.
It can't be just a few more technora patches, which were already in the Wood version anyway.
Moreover 2011 technology page says that Technora has full wood bottom and deck.

"Freeride TechnoraTM replaces the PVC sandwich core with natural Australian plantation pine wood. The pine wood sheet is 0.6mm thick and covers the entire deck and bottom of the board. Sandwiched between biaxial layers of glass fibre, the wood/glass skin forms a stiff and impact-resistant outer shell. The result: a high performance board that is light, stiff and crisp to ride, and assembled through a more environmentally friendly construction process."

Isn't Wood 2012 exactly the same construction as Technora 2011? Weights are pretty similar.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 03:17 AM   #15
Todd Hume

Starboard. I appreciate the communication and resolution that I tracked down through your dealer. Thanks also for updating the website with that special note on construction. That update might not be enough though. It looks like plenty of people have concerns about board performance and are wanting an answer to this question. Its been a month now since the first post. It seems likely that your silence could be doing your brand some damage. Just a thought...

Last edited by Todd Hume; 30th September 2011 at 03:54 AM.
Todd Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:57 AM   #16
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboarder View Post

Hope the last bit means cheaper?

10% heavier, 10% price drop. That would be nice.
Old 8th October 2011, 02:00 AM   #17
hansspeed

I have just sold my 111 futura wood and now I see this almost 1 kg more weight on the new wood !!!!!!
How iss this possible ?? Starboardteam please reaction on this 8 kg wood board why so heavy ?/
Now i most buy a carbon voor 300 euro,s more,
And no price drop for sure
hansspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 02:15 PM   #18
hansspeed

This week I had my first spin with the 2012 futura 111 in the wood technora version, the good points are the board is very fast and easy ,gybing is better then the 2011.
minus the board is heavier then my old 2011 futura 111 around 850 a 900 gram ,did some weighting and came around 7.90 !! the planing on was less and not so good as the 2011
the sizes of the board is different and wider in the tail from 43 2011 and now 45.9 the board is 69 cm witdh a hte sam lenght,
the sizes they give with the specifications of 2012 are NOT CORRECT,why is this still not changed ??
hansspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 06:07 PM   #19
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansspeed View Post
the sizes of the board is different and wider in the tail from 43 2011 and now 45.9 the board is 69 cm witdh a hte sam lenght,
the sizes they give with the specifications of 2012 are NOT CORRECT,why is this still not changed ??
Are you measuring this correctly?

How about a pic with a tape measure on the board to confirm

Isonic 97 2013
JP Speed 50 2014

Severne Reflex 4 7.0,6.2,5.6
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Haggar

I wont be too happy if they have changed specs, particularly the tail width, yes a photo would be good
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote