Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 18th January 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
rgomez

Default Light Wind Planing - Funster 180

Iv recently started windsurfing and Im currently using the Funster 180 with a NP 5.5m sail on winds ranging from 5-10 knots..... which I find inadequate for planing...My weight is 65kgs

Im looking for a board and sail combination that will get me planing in these light wind conditions....Im considering a formula board with a 8.2/8.7 Hellcat or H2....Also I noticed the pple mentioned wide boards get planing faster...My funster 180 is pretty wide at 92cms...would it plane with a 8.2/8.7 sail?

Thanks.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Your JP Funster is pretty heavy, but it does have the width.
You are pretty light in weight @ 65 Kg.(143.3 lbs) so if the wind gets up in
the 9-10 knot range there is a possibility your could get planing on an 8.5-9.5 m2
free race sail with good low end power.
A formula board would get you planing, but a wide board that's not so dedicated
to upwind/downwind racing would be better.
Probably the Ultrasonic or a used F Type would give you the best all around chance
to get planing with a slightly smaller (than formula size 10-11 m2) sail.
What you need most is a much larger (than 5.5 m2) rig!
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 02:59 PM   #3
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Your JP Funster is pretty heavy, but it does have the width.
You are pretty light in weight @ 65 Kg.(143.3 lbs) so if the wind gets up in
the 9-10 knot range there is a possibility your could get planing on an 8.5-9.5 m2
free race sail with good low end power.
A formula board would get you planing, but a wide board that's not so dedicated
to upwind/downwind racing would be better.
Probably the Ultrasonic or a used F Type would give you the best all around chance
to get planing with a slightly smaller (than formula size 10-11 m2) sail.
What you need most is a much larger (than 5.5 m2) rig!
Roger
Wow, Roger ... First to explain why JP Funster doesn't work,
weight, shape, soft rails, foot strap positions, small fin.., everything... It's a learning board.
Second, Formula is the early planning king, don't Roger scare you with
'dedicated upwind/downwind' bull... while formula does excel in those things, it's easy
to sail do to it's width, as I wrote before, we have most beginners jumping on used formulas, once
they got basics skills, and few that too Roger's advise regretted it later... Maybe if you're
60+years old and you want to baby yourself, US would be good.
Formula does require good fin and larger sail comparing to US, and USonic will be easier /maybe
even faster until your technique improves.
Old 18th January 2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sergio,
Ever sail an Apollo?
That was the early planing king!
I agree with some of what you say, an older smaller Formula board (ala F-155) would be very good,
But I see some real issues jumping from a 5.5 m2 rig to a 10 m2 plus modern formula rig with
550 masts and huge heavy booms on a 2010 and later full formula race board.
I was looking at a progression.....
Also, rgomez (the OP) was looking for something that planes in the 5-10 knot range.
I think we both have enough experience to say that no one planes in < 7-8 knots, even with a huge
=> 10m+ sail and the very best technique.
I will stick with my opinion that a modern full on formula board (even a beat up used one) is still going to be fragile, hard to get planing with smaller rigs and fins, so it's not optimum as a progression board from
the Funster 180.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 06:21 AM   #5
rgomez

Default Jp Super Lightwind

Thanks for the insight guys.

How does the JP Super Lightwind paired with a 8/9 sqm sail fare compare to the formula?
Old 19th January 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hi Sergio,
Ever sail an Apollo?
That was the early planing king!
I agree with some of what you say, an older smaller Formula board (ala F-155) would be very good,
But I see some real issues jumping from a 5.5 m2 rig to a 10 m2 plus modern formula rig with
550 masts and huge heavy booms on a 2010 and later full formula race board.
I was looking at a progression.....
Also, rgomez (the OP) was looking for something that planes in the 5-10 knot range.
I think we both have enough experience to say that no one planes in < 7-8 knots, even with a huge
=> 10m+ sail and the very best technique.
I will stick with my opinion that a modern full on formula board (even a beat up used one) is still going to be fragile, hard to get planing with smaller rigs and fins, so it's not optimum as a progression board from
the Funster 180.
Roger
Going from 5.5 m2, if you going formula route, I'd recommend 'ease in' with 8.0+ m2 than get 10m2 for light weight person. Planning threshold, I can plane with 10m2 on formula in 6-8 knots, if lulls go into 5-6 knots that would stop me, also depends on state of the water and the 'weed factor', If I get 11 m2 I could gain another 1/4 knot maybe. Don't see point in Apollo unless you're a passive rider or super heavy, and if you're passive(don't like to pump)-formula is not for you, it is physical/active sailing, not BAF...
You can also super change regular formula with 80-85 cm uncut fin (that what Apollo had from what I recall).
On Ultrasonic vs. Formula with 8/9 m2 sails, if that your largest sail, I'd recommend USonic, formula needs power, 8-9 m2 generally for high wind unless you're under 130lb
And formulas SB155 and older - don't plane as well as newer ones, again if you have an active sailing style,
if passive, those boards are a lot closer to Usonic performance, I'm guessing , Roger, that why you like those better + USonic.
Old 19th January 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
sergio k

and if my max sail was 8-9 m2 /light weight person, I'd pick isonic 127, not usonic, it will plane earlier and be more fun, again for person with good pumping technique
Old 19th January 2012, 04:31 PM   #8
BelSkorpio

rgomez,

The JP SLW is very similar to the SB Ultrasonic.
Both work great with 8/9 sqm sails.

I've sailed both the SB Formula 161 (4 years) and the SB Ultrasonic (only recently).
The formula goes better upwind, the Ultrasonic feels very light and is faster for me on a beam reach.

I've also posted my experiences on another good thread: http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13384

I agree that a Formula is not that difficult to sail as long as you stay in the 8-12 knots windrange.
When the wind picks up to 15+ knots and also the chop increases, I can assure you that it becomes "very hard work", especially if you are still learning.

Because you said that you just started windsurfing, I think a formula is not the best board to choose.
The ultrasonic would be much better. It's a feather compared to your Funster 180.
But I agree with Roger that it is more important to get yourself first a larger rig, say 9 sqm. It will also work just fine with your Funster.
Old 21st January 2012, 05:53 PM   #9
PG

Lets boil this one down to some useful advice for someone who recently started windsurfing.

ONE: get a bigger sail, an 8.0 with two cambers would be quites suitable. It would push down the planing threshold quite substantially

ONE.ONE: Get a bigger fin so that the baord can benefit from the 8 m2 sail, something around 46 cm would be just right.

With a new bigger rig and a longer fin you will be able to learn a lot, and have a lot of fun, with your current Funster 180.

TWO. At a later point in time you can then switch the Funster for a more advanced board, for example a freeride board in the 120-130 liter range.

THREE, Get an additional sail between the 5.5 and the 8 m2, maybe a 6.5.

That is a nice and logical progression.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 04:37 AM   #10
rgomez

Default Thanks

Wow....thanks for the amazing help guys...what PG says makes sense....and it will help me progress while keeping the cost low.