Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th November 2011, 01:33 AM   #11
costazzz

thank you so much...your answers make me really happy!!i wish for some answers about reflex.....!!
costazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 12:12 AM   #12
berg

Sean

What is a powerfull vin for the hwr. I have a virus 73/70 but it feels to small to point. Sailing maui tr 7
Any advice
berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 06:26 PM   #13
berg

Sean,

I don t know if you read this, but the rake of my virus 72 is 0. Problem is upwind. Can you give me a kind of solution to get better pointing? Is a 4 degree rake better pointing? I sail a hwr
Like to hear
Berg
Old 14th March 2012, 12:34 AM   #14
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

berg,
You could try tipping the fin back 4 deg. (not much at all).
Tighten the rear fin screw until you get the 4 deg. rake (measure it with a
protractor) then snug the front screw and take it for a sail.
This will tell you if your upwind issue is the fin rake......or...
something else.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 05:44 PM   #15
berg

Roger

Thanks may be an other question for you if you are willing:

Do you mean rake at the back of the fin or the so called leading(front)edge. On the back it is zero.
But I will try that trick and see what will happen. Do you have experience with the fin for a HWR?
Old 15th March 2012, 02:01 AM   #16
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi berg,
No, I don't sail/race formula anymore, but I know that a few years back all the formula racers were
tipping the fin in the box a few degrees on an experimental basis, then as soon as they determined the
optimum angle, they added material in the appropriate spots on the fin root and refit the fin to the
box in the optimum orientation.
If your fin has zero rake on the trailing edge (many formula fins are designed this way so the flow over the foil is normal to the trailing edge) then you can use the trailing edge to measure the leading edge
angle.
Most top of the line formula fin designers have already done the research to optimize the leading edge angle, but perhaps not on all the different boards.
If Remi, Sean, and the Starboard Formula team suggest a particular fin for your HWR (do a search on
HWR and you should find quite a few fin recommendations) it might be good to get one and try it compared to the fin you are using and see if it solves any of your issues.
Sailing fast upwind on a formula board requires several very "non-intuitive" techniques.
Railing the board slightly to leeward to go upwind is very non-intuitive, but if you watch the worlds best
formula racers, they all do this to some degree.
Flatter is faster in slalom, but slalom does not require the extreme upwind/downwind sailing angles that are the norm in formula racing.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote