Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd March 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
PrydeMan

Default Phantom 295 way too tight centre board

I finally took out my new Phantom 295 and the rubber gaskets for the centre board are way too tight near the tip. I needed two people to get the centre board down to spray it with silicon spray today. The centre board moves freely when down and out of the board, but when it gets close to the last end bit near the tip it's a nightmare getting it in and hopeless getting it out. Could something be wrong or does these gaskets need some wear and tear? I also have a RS:One and they use a different rubber which works smooth for operation from day one.
PrydeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Sailboarder

I hope you are able to easily fix the problem.

And I'm also eager to hear more about the Phantom 295 vs RS:One...
Sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi PrydeMan,
Instead of the silicone spray (attracts sand, not environmentally friendly, and doesn't seem to be working
for you) try a bar of soap on the rear of the centerboard and rubbed along the edges of the gasket.
If the problem persists, VERY carefully trim a slight radius on the rear section of the gasket lips to widen the slot between the lips.
Also, if you can, carefully fold the gasket up nearly vertical and try to put a 45 deg. bevel on the
upper inside of the lips.
The reason it sticks is that the rubber/plastic is pretty hard (makes it durable, but not very functional)
and the rear of the CB is at the wrong end of the leverage equation. 6-8" from the pivot for the handle
32" + at the rear of the CB.
All of these are suggestions I have used on Starboard CB's that stick!
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 08:50 PM   #4
PrydeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hi PrydeMan,
Instead of the silicone spray (attracts sand, not environmentally friendly, and doesn't seem to be working
for you) try a bar of soap on the rear of the centerboard and rubbed along the edges of the gasket.
If the problem persists, VERY carefully trim a slight radius on the rear section of the gasket lips to widen the slot between the lips.
Also, if you can, carefully fold the gasket up nearly vertical and try to put a 45 deg. bevel on the
upper inside of the lips.
The reason it sticks is that the rubber/plastic is pretty hard (makes it durable, but not very functional)
and the rear of the CB is at the wrong end of the leverage equation. 6-8" from the pivot for the handle
32" + at the rear of the CB.
All of these are suggestions I have used on Starboard CB's that stick!
Roger
Thanks for that I will try these ideas.
Old 3rd March 2012, 08:58 PM   #5
PrydeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboarder View Post
I hope you are able to easily fix the problem.

And I'm also eager to hear more about the Phantom 295 vs RS:One...
I've sailed the RS:One a dozen times now and 295 once. The 295 has way too many items on the deck, which distracts you while sailing in light winds in a race. The bolts for the flap over the centre board are a pain in the foot. The volume in the nose is too small for slow tacks. The RS:One seems a little more user friendly for the novice weekend racer. The 295 seems to plan quicker. The 8.5m phantom sail has a fuller shape, but make sure the bottom cam is secure on the mast with enough down haul pressure.

Ths is only one time sailing experience on the 295 and I'm looking forward to more times on the water once I have the centre board issue sorted out.
Old 4th March 2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Prydeman,

Do you use your heel on the dagger board protection to make it down, it must be easy with the Sillicone spray.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 09:14 AM   #7
PrydeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi View Post
Hi Prydeman,

Do you use your heel on the dagger board protection to make it down, it must be easy with the Sillicone spray.

All the best
Hi Remi,

The heel method did not work, the only way we could get it down was to force the tip through the gasket with the plastic end of a old battarn. The silicon spray didn't help either. Also the only way I could get the centre board back fully in the board was to put a fair amount of force on the centre board tip and the lever.

It's only the last few cms of the gasket for the centre board is the problem I think.

Regards,
Stephen
Old 4th March 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Stephen,

Look strange, so need photos to check what is going on, please send via : http://www.star-board.com/2012/produ...t_warranty.php

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
JE-Sweden

Hi everybody
I just got back from my 295 premiere and I must say that I am very satisfied with how smooth everything worked. The masttrack and daggerboard worked perfectly. So I dont recognise these problems..
Today it was light winds, as it was ice on the inside of the pier, I didnt mind. My fingers got pretty numb after awhile. Anyway The board railed easily and made good speed upwind and now I look forward to stronger winds and warmer weather :-)

Best Regards
SWE208
JE-Sweden is offline   Reply With Quote